You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Window slides and bay door gaskets question - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Exterior (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Window slides and bay door gaskets question (/showthread.php?tid=111)

Pages: 1 2

Window slides and bay door gaskets question - Flick - 08-14-2012

My windows are very difficult to open as they have 32 years of Texas dust and clay in the tracks. The felt tracks just look shot. Where do I find these so I can pull out the old ones, clean things up and then install new ones? Also any tips on doing this?

Also the gaskets on most of my bay doors are in rough shape. Where is he best place to find these so I can replace these as well. Again an tips of doing this? And adjusting the doors as well?

RE: Window slides and bay door gaskets question - encantotom - 08-14-2012

it is possible to replace the tracks and felt. just a matter of finding it. several of us have replaced the tracks and felt. in my 90 i did the front windows. it took some doing but was possible.

with the penninsula windows in my 90 they had the two different felts and the plastic tracks so i just bought them and replaced them. they were fairly expensive if i remember right. i think i paid about a hundred bucks to do 2 windows.

there are some tricks that each window has to get the slider out and to replace the top and bottom tracks and then the felt. i would start by trying to figure out what is the maker of the windows.

as for the gaskets in the doors, steve or clarke can comment on if they have done them. i replaced all the door gaskets on my 90. any car paint and trm shop will have them. there is a place near my house that has a zillion different rubber trim pieces.

tom

tom

RE: Window slides and bay door gaskets question - Flick - 09-19-2012

Ok so I was able to get the felt track runners if that is what they are called that go into the slider window frame. This is what the sliding window rests in and slides back and forth. Now on the outside of each slide window then as well there is a gap between the sliding window and the frame. This gap is covered by a rubber molding trim piece that keeps this area dry I suppose and also probably keeps that felt track in place since it abuts against it.

I can't find anyone who carries it. Hehr, Peninsula and anyone else I could send a pic of it to on the Internet. Most of my windows Re missing bits of this And what is there is brittle. I will post a couple pics in a moment. Does anyone have a suggestion. Every time I call Newell Chucks Answer is no. I get the feeling in this era of Newell they built them with whatever was available or anyone would ask for.

RE: Window slides and bay door gaskets question - encantotom - 09-20-2012

not too far from my house is the most amazing auto paint, trim, molding store called spaceageauto.

i will make a trip down there and see if they have any trim like that at all.

tom

RE: Window slides and bay door gaskets question - Ozarkguy - 09-20-2012

When I replaced my window felt.. I could'nt find the wiper seal, such as you have... I did find some windshield wiper blades that worked perfectly... If all else fails...

(09-19-2012, 08:59 PM)Flick Wrote:  Ok so I was able to get the felt track runners if that is what they are called that go into the slider window frame. This is what the sliding window rests in and slides back and forth. Now on the outside of each slide window then as well there is a gap between the sliding window and the frame. This gap is covered by a rubber molding trim piece that keeps this area dry I suppose and also probably keeps that felt track in place since it abuts against it.

I can't find anyone who carries it. Hehr, Peninsula and anyone else I could send a pic of it to on the Internet. Most of my windows Re missing bits of this And what is there is brittle. I will post a couple pics in a moment. Does anyone have a suggestion. Every time I call Newell Chucks Answer is no. I get the feeling in this era of Newell they built them with whatever was available or anyone would ask for.

RE: Window slides and bay door gaskets question - whatsnewell - 09-20-2012

Jimmy, I like your style.....re-purposing windwhield wipers! Big Grin

Yep! one does what one has to on these rare classics!

(09-20-2012, 01:17 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  Jimmy, I like your style.....re-purposing windwhield wipers! Big Grin

RE: Window slides and bay door gaskets question - Flick - 09-20-2012

(09-20-2012, 10:53 AM)encantotom Wrote:  not too far from my house is the most amazing auto paint, trim, molding store called spaceageauto.

i will make a trip down there and see if they have any trim like that at all.

tom

Tom thanks for doing that i really appreciate the help.

RE: Window slides and bay door gaskets question - encantotom - 09-20-2012

i have to be near there on friday so i will stop by then.

tom

If they don't have anything one place I purchased upholstery and window parts
Was at http://www.jjsupply.com/. I know they have the channel. Maybe they have the wiper seal.