You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
bottom of slide sticking out after sitting - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Slides (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=55)
+--- Thread: bottom of slide sticking out after sitting (/showthread.php?tid=1134)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

bottom of slide sticking out after sitting - encantotom - 11-29-2013

howdy all,

i was outside doing some things this morning and i noticed that the front drivers side slide was sticking out on the bottom about an inch. top was still flush.

never done that before. i have not moved it in 2 months.

so, i checked to see if there was any hydraulic fluid leaking in the slide compartment and didnt see any wet spots.

i started the engine up and put the slide out and back in and it sealed up flush....but now my level light stays on and the slide pins do not engage.

i checked to see if the magnets on top of the slide that trigger the locking pins to engage were still there and they were.

any wisdom from the crowd here?

thanks

tom

RE: bottom of slide sticking out after sitting - encantotom - 11-29-2013

i found a troubleshooting guide for generic hwh slides.

they give a way to test if it is the solenoid, checkvalve or cylinder (heaven forbid). it says that if it creeps out an inch or less it is most likely the check valve.

i dont have time to play with it for a while

any other advice is welcome

tom

RE: bottom of slide sticking out after sitting - rheavn - 11-30-2013

Country Coach didn't use slide locks. They just used the system pressure with check valves to hold the slides in. Therefore "slide creep" was a little more prevalent on the Country Coaches. The fix was to replace the check valve if there were no leaks.

RE: bottom of slide sticking out after sitting - encantotom - 11-30-2013

newell has told me in the past they didnt need slide locks either.

now to find a check valve....

tom

Tom,
I never had to replace one on my coach, so I can't even point you in the right direction. I'll do a search on the Country Coach forum & see what I come up with.

In reading on the CC forum. The first check is the check valve, but they don't say where it is located. One fellow was able to just clean his check valve and it worked. On a few the check valve was replaced and the creeping continued. It ended up being the solenoid was leaking back the pressure. Many said that HWH was very helpful.

RE: bottom of slide sticking out after sitting - encantotom - 07-18-2014

i got some check valves and a solenoid. and new o rings. but i have not had a chance to do anything yet. today i made a trip to mesa where the coach is and the salon slide floor had gone down about 2 inches. so now i have to see how these two things are related.

tom

RE: bottom of slide sticking out after sitting - encantotom - 05-14-2015

now i am working on this now that i have the newell at my house.  

i bought a check valve kit, but it ends up there is only one check valve for the entire valve manifold and not one for each function.  so in talking to hwh, it doesnt seem like that is the culprit.  

it basically should be the extend solenoid, so i have a spare i will put in soon.  problme is i think i will have to take out 2 others to get at this one.  

i stored it with the slide out so it wouldnt creep out.  it did not creep in, so it should be the extend solenoid.  

i put the slide in and in about a week, it crept out about an inch.  

neither my front or rear slide pins were engaging.  

in talking to hwh, they said that it is common and that usually extending the slide out and holding the extend till the pump reaches max pressure and cycles down and then doing the same as i bring it in, it should provided enough pressure to engage the pins and that it is a common problem when they have not been used in quite a while.  

to today i did that and both front and rear slide pins engaged.  

so, i just have to change that one solenoid and it should be good to go.  

the biggest problem with slide creep is two fold.....1.  it rolls the air bladder seal out    2.   it puts alot of torque on the slide pins....

tom

RE: bottom of slide sticking out after sitting - encantotom - 05-15-2015

today i changed the front room extend solenoid.  in talking to hwh here is a few tidbits.  

from what they said, they believe because of the size of our salon drivers side slides, that there are two rams in the slide.  one on each end.  so.....there are 3 things that can cause slide creep out.  the extend solenoid, a leaky ram itself, and the check valves.  the manifold on my coach only has one check valve for everything, so since nothing else was creeping, it is not the check valve.  

supposedly, if the slide is creeping out at BOTH ends, then it is likely not a ram, because the chances of both rams being leaky at the same time are very small.  mine was creeping at both ends....although a little more at the front than the rear.  but not much more.  so....i feel pretty confident it is the extend solenoid.  

let me share my experience.   start with the slide in.  

1.  first of all, it is possible for the slide to move out just a little bit....when you release the pressure on the extend solenoid.  so i let the air pressure out of the slide seal so if it did go out some it wouldnt roll the slide seal out.  in my case, the slide did not move.  so, i left the ignition key on, the engine off and the key for the slide in the on position.   any other combination seemed to inflate the slide seal.  

2.  to get at the front drivers side extend solenoid, it is the 3rd one from the front of the manifold on the left hand side.  i have the small solenoids (RAP 90729) that have the pressure release 1/4" nut on them.  some have a small T handle that does the same thing.  the end of the solenoid has two holes a bout a half inch deep in it that allows for a special tool that hwh sells to put in the end to rotate the solenoid out so you dont have to take any others out to get at it with a water pump pliers.  i have a pretty extensive snap ring pliers kit and found one that would fit in the holes.   more on that later.  

3.  next you have to release the pressure on the solenoid.  it is normally closed.  hwh is very specific.  put a 1/4" nut driver on it and turn it 4 1/2 turns counter clockwise.  sometime during backing it out you should hear a firm hiss as the pressure is released.  that is good.  no hiss is more work.  

4.  using my snap ring pliers, i could not break the solenoid loose.  so i had to take the first 2 out to get at it with a channel locks.  so i released the pressure on all 3 valves.  the first valve on mine is the front room locking pin down one,  the second is the floor up.  the extend and floor up valves released the pressure when i backed the nut off.  the lock pin one did not.  so....remember there is a lot of pressure in hydraulics.  so, i put a small pan under neath it and back the valve out slowly using the channel locks.  just a bit....fluid started coming out in a steady stream  i let it come out until it stopped.  probably about a cup of fluid.  then i took it out the rest of the way.  be patient.  if you back it all the way out while it is still streaming...the pressure will shoot the valve off the manifold and spray you with fluid.  no fun.   btw,  the second valve i was able to loosen with my snap ring pliers.  

make sure you mark or have markings on the wires for each one.  i would also suggest putting the solenoids back in where they came out.  

the o rings are really funky on these things.  there are round and flat ones.  

5.  now i have all three out,  i put in the replacement solenoid first.  being careful to not have one of the o rings get in the way.  you can see that with a flashlight as you are gently putting them in.  they are snug so i had to gently use the channel locks to get them in and then just snug once they hit the end.  be sure to tighten the pressure release nuts back up just lightly snug.    

6.  do that for all you have taken out, then put the plugs back on (in the right order)

7.  wipe it all up and give it a go.  i had darlene checking for leaks while i ran the slide in and out.  no leaks.  and the slide pins went down.  

so now the real test will be if it still creeps out.  this last time it did in about a week.  

the whole thing took me about 90 minutes with a real slow pace.  

tom

RE: bottom of slide sticking out after sitting - lbrachfe - 05-15-2015

If the "slide pins went down" I assume you mean engaged and if that's the case then "creeping out" becomes impossible... Great Job Description Tom

BTW Tom You didn't see my "Tom Sawyer" post dedicated to you ????