You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Newell House - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: General and or Other Stuff (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: General (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Newell House (/showthread.php?tid=1219)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 07-28-2014

july 28 they finished the pad today. it looks like a huge area. the pad is over 80x75.

it is raised 20" in the front from previous ground level and about 10" in the back. doesnt look like it as much now that they put a couple of dump truck full of dirt in where the apron in front of the garage doors is. that is where the low point was before.

next is soil compaction testing, and footers.

tom

RE: Newell House - Dmatz - 07-28-2014

Tom

Looks like you might be ready for so e concrete soon.

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 08-05-2014

8/5

the concrete guys were here today and laid out the shop and tomorrow the backhoe will be here to dig the footers.

exciting time to see things getting done.

darlene and i were in bathroom simulation mode.....i know it sounds weird. we did cutouts and were laying out how we wanted the bathroom to be rough plumbed once the stem walls are done.

will be a compact, but not too small bathroom that is 6x11. sink, toilet, urinal and shower.

been talking to concrete coating companies and am trying to decide what to do with the floor once the construction is done. was pretty impressed with a guy i talked to who specializes in airplane hangers and commercial buildings.

it is beginning to feel real now.

tom

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 08-06-2014

aug 6,

the backhoe guy was here digging footers and then the concrete guys were also here putting in rebar and jbars and the ground rod.

the backhoe guy was an artist. no wasted motions and just a whir of moving, digging etc. i had him also dig up the foundation for a goat barn i had already taken down. as well as a couple of tree stumps.

tomorrow will be footings inspection and hopefully pouring footers on friday.

they started digging a 18" wide footer and the plans called for a 20". the backhoe guy said that was hard to do so they dug a 24" wide one. and put extra rebar and jbars in it that the plans didnt call for.

so....more concrete is good.

it sure looks big. the pictures dont do it justice.

the concrete guys say i am overkilling the foundation and slab, that is good to hear and i am glad i am.

tom

RE: Newell House - arcticdude - 08-06-2014

You're right- it doesn't look BIG enough!! Big Grin

it is 70'4" long and 65'4" wide

couldnt really fit any bigger in the space i have. and it was all i could scrape up the moola for. i have flood plain restrictions

tom

RE: Newell House - HoosierDaddy - 08-06-2014

Yeah, My wife said I wasn't building mine big enough.....It's not finished and I wish it was bigger....It's not too late , Tom!!!
:-)

it was too late a long time ago. so let me get this straight. a 4600 sq foot shop with a 500 sq foot mancave is too small? you guys are funny. i have used about every sq foot of space i can for the shop. flood plain restrictions made it so i could not put it any farther back on my lot. i have over an acre behind it but within a foot of as far as i could go. on the sides, there is no more room either and likewise on the front.

my builder has a 9000 sq foot shop. he said mine is the biggest he has built other than his own.

with a 20' celing height, it should feel pretty large inside.

tom

RE: Newell House - ccjohnson - 08-06-2014

Steel frame will look like a cathedral before siding goes up. You will think OMG too big!

actually, it is not steel. it will be built to match my house look. 2x8 walls, wood sheathing, foam, stucco and a full wood truss system with tile roof.

it will be taller than my house. and i have a two story house.

it is bigger than i started out planning, but then i realized i HAD to make it bigger than the house. so it got bumped up to the size it is to be just barely bigger. ha

tom