You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Newell House - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: General and or Other Stuff (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: General (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Newell House (/showthread.php?tid=1219)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 08-27-2014

come on down

tom

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 08-28-2014

thor delivered the lumber this morning. a really nice fella actually named thor. lets say i looked up to him. big guy, big truck and big lumber package he delivered.

i have been spraying the concrete down every 30-45 min.

the "patch" guy was here this morning. he is using a concrete product with a bonding agent to do like a stucco looking finish to the stem wall. it was so hot this morning he cried uncle and said he would be back at 430am tomorrow with a helper. i have to say, this concrete company has really went to extra efforts.

i had a chuckle at my own expense this morning. i was out there in my flip flops spraying the floor down. the water felt so nice i took off the flip flops and was walking barefoot. i had asked for the floor to be real smooth and i thought to myself that they accomplished that (as i was laying on my back on the concrete after doing a whoop do do). fortunately i didnt get hurt. as i was laying there all i could think about was how funny it was. plus now i was all wet and it felt quite nice. ha

windows ordered today and the framing crew should be here any day.

fun times.

tom

RE: Newell House - Fulltiming - 08-28-2014

Looks like you have a great view of the construction in the shade of the house with folding chairs at the ready. I am certain that the contractors 'appreciate' your assistance and supervision. Big Grin

in true engineer fashion, i am calculating the WEIGHT of the shop. my son in law and i were sitting on the patio watching the concrete trucks and brought up it would be cool to know how much it weighed. so i have been keeping track of the weights of everything. like the lumber package i knew to the pound because the drivers showed me the weigh ticket for it.

i know how much dirt was brought in, how much gravel, how much concrete, the wood, i know how many squares of roof tile and what it weighs, i have to estimate stucco and drywall but that cant be too hard.

the weight counting the pad building is going to be stunning. then i can calculate the shop to newell weight ratio. an important thing to know.

only an engineer....

tom

michael, that is where i sit and watch...ha.

btw, if you look at the pictures you will see "Gorilla" spray painted on the lumber.

that is my builder. Jeff the Gorilla great guy

tom

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 08-29-2014

Framing Day 1

they were here right at 530am. to protect my new concrete floor they put over 100 sheets of OSB down to cover it. they almost built one 70' wall entirely and laid out the other long wall.

they ordered the trusses off of the actual wall measurements today and they will be here mid next week. they will likely have the 4 walls framed out by wednesday. then crane day comes where they assemble it like a gigantic wood erector set.

this last week it finally feels real.

tom

RE: Newell House - Fulltiming - 08-29-2014

Hopefully by the end of next week it will start looking like the Taj McCloud.

RE: Newell House - Chester Stone - 08-29-2014

Keep the photos coming. This is fun.

RE: Newell House - Richard - 08-29-2014

Hopefully the OSB is then used for walls or roofing sheathing?

Glad to see progress.

I wish we all could have been there to have Christmas morning with you.

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 08-29-2014

yes, the osb is the sheathing.

tom