You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Newell House - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: General and or Other Stuff (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: General (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Newell House (/showthread.php?tid=1219)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 10-09-2014

i am learning about patience. but....there is alot more to this structure than you would think. the engineering on it is astounding in terms of bracing, brackets, beams etc. once all the interior metal bracing is in i will take pictures of it.

today they reframed one wall in the mancave i wanted changed, finished the deck above the mancave, did more bracing etc.

tomorrow is roof decking day. they are using the deck of the mancave (i had it engineered for heavy storage on top) as a staging area for the roof sheathing. it is 11 foot to the deck, then another 9 feet to the bottom of the trusses.

i plan on starting to wire the things i am doing this weekend. come on over and help, eh?

i will take pictures of the structure once all roofed and post them tomorrow.

thanks to you guys for the private words of encouragement and advise as my shop journey has progressed.

tom

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 10-10-2014

They started putting on the roof sheathing this morning. Glad it is not me. Or forest.

Tom

RE: Newell House - prairieschooner - 10-10-2014

Is there room for an "old" Newell? Patti & I were discussing that we my need a vacation soon, this retirement stuff is very very hard work indeed!

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 10-10-2014

you bet.

come on down.

tom

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 10-12-2014

the shell is all done for framing. they just have to finish doing internal bolting and bracing and that will be done monday. strap and shear inspection is tuesday.

i still just go out there and sit in the evenings with a lawn chair and stare. hard to believe i am finally doing it after all these years.

if any of you are ever in the area please stop by.

tom

RE: Newell House - larryweikartsr - 10-12-2014

I understand Tom. You have a lot to look forward to. After 13 years, i still look forward to heading to our little barn almost every day just to "putz" around. Many good days ahead of you and I'm sure your deserve it after all those years of waiting! I look forward to visiting the completion!

RE: Newell House - whatsnewell - 10-13-2014

Haha Larry.....the original 'Newell House', and there is a lot of cool stuff in there as I recall.

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 10-13-2014

larry, that place looks amazing. makes mine look like a tiki hut....

i like the shape with the regular garage off the side.

tom

RE: Newell House - larryweikartsr - 10-13-2014

Thanks Tom, but I think yours will be outstanding. Clarke, there used to be some "neat" stuff in there but we are trying to downsize and have been selling off a lot of it. It's hard to believe how much one can accumulate! Take it from my experience Tom, if I could start all over, I would seal the concrete with a min of 3 coats and I would keep everything off of the floor by using more shelving and hung cupboards, so washing the floor would be an easy chore. I don't remember seeing it, but I'm sure you put a drain in the floor and tapered the floor to the drain. Make certain you never let the inside get like mine!

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 10-13-2014

i didnt want a tapered or sloped floor. i wanted it flat. and no drains.

maybe i will regret it, we will see

tom