You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Newell House - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: General and or Other Stuff (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: General (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Newell House (/showthread.php?tid=1219)

RE: Newell House - arcticdude - 06-22-2014

I had rebar done in the slab and in the drive. The slab is doing pretty well with minimal cracking beyond the saw cuts. The drive, on the other hand has numerous issues. Different guy for each with obviously different results! I'd heard the same about bar vs mesh, thus my choice. But in hindsight, it's MUCH more the installer than the stuff! What ever you choose has to be kept at the right depth to work well. My research now has told me that screen is as good as long as its kept at the top 1/3 point. It will be very interesting to see how yours does.

RE: Newell House - encantotom - 06-22-2014

yea. i have talked to the builder as recently as this week about it and he says we will be ok. i guess time will tell

any advice on concrete sealers?

tom

RE: Newell House - arcticdude - 06-22-2014

My first floor was done with a 2 part epoxy from Sherwin Williams. Even after a 30 day drying time (they recommended 2 wks), I still had lifting issues with my F250. So I can't recommend that product. I've left this current one bare. While I do have to be more careful with spills, it's amazing what a little kitty litter will pick up with some time.

epoxy for a 4600 sq foot garage is cost prohibitive. and i have heard about tire lift with epoxy and i dont want that for sure.

there are some new high tech nano sealers i am looking at. i will likely do something to it.

tom

RE: Newell House - HoosierDaddy - 06-22-2014

I got my Newell house closed in last week.
5-6" concrete with steel mesh over 1/2" barrier PEX (for floor heat)and 2" DOW blue foam board. I applied two coats of regular old concrete sealer I picked up at Menards. I'm planning to have 1"of foam sprayed on to the walls as well as 6" fiberglass insulation blankets in walls and ceiling. Will also blow another 4-6" of cellulose over blanket in ceiling. I'm trying to decide on lighting so I can get the wiring started. I just backed the Newell in for the first time this PM!!!
Building permit was $65.00..

wow, that looks nice. tom

btw, i am doing 6 bulb 4' T5 High output fixtures in 5000k (daylight) for ceiling lights flush with the ceiling. photometrics calcs show it to be about 100 foot candles at 2.5' for lighting.

i am doing 20 fixtures. switched on 5 different circuits

tom

RE: Newell House - HoosierDaddy - 06-22-2014

Thx Tom,
Do you have a good source for the T-5's ? I was ;looking at them in Menards last week.

i sent you the quote i got.

tom

RE: Newell House - arcticdude - 06-23-2014

I also used the 4' T5's, sourced from Home Depot. I only used the 2 bulb fixtures, but still put up 20 in the 2400 sqft. I thought about multiple circuits, as I had done that in the previous building. I found I typically either needed only a little light or all the light and very little inbetween. So I just have 4 on one circuit and the other 16 on another. So far it's doing well. I don't think you can ever have too much light in a building.

RE: Newell House - HoosierDaddy - 06-23-2014

I'm seeing T-8's as well. I don't understand the difference between T-5 and T-8?