You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Front & Tag axle wheel bearings - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Repair Maintain and Inspect (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General Repair (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Front & Tag axle wheel bearings (/showthread.php?tid=148)

Pages: 1 2 3

Front & Tag axle wheel bearings - rheavn - 08-30-2012

My Country Coach called for changing the wet wheel bearings every 30,000 miles. I have carried this practice over to my Newell. I use a 75/90 synthetic oil. I post this as a reminder to others.

RE: Front & Tag axle wheel bearings - encantotom - 08-30-2012

Steve. Do you change the bearings or just the lube. Sounds too frequent for the bearings. Tom

RE: Front & Tag axle wheel bearings - rheavn - 08-30-2012

Only the oil. In 170,000 miles of running coaches with wet bearings I have not had a bearing failure---yet. That is why I stay up on the maintenance and change the oil regularly--for me about every two years. I changed all four bearing oil reservoirs today. Sucked out the old oil with a large syringe. Took less than a quart to do all four bearings. Total time spent was less than an hour. The tag bearing oil was darker than the front bearing oil--a little surprising as the front carries more weight than the tag axle.

steve, i need help with a few things. can you come over this weekend and help out?

bring suzy too.

tom

I'm still recovering from the sweat shop you ran when you were at my house. I thought we fixed everything! You even got Jimmy on his only day off to do upholstery.

hey what can i say....i have been a manager for too long...

so will you be here saturday or not?

tom

I actually wish I could. I love working on Newells. I find the technology to be challenging & fun to work on. Have you thought of a move to Missouri?

RE: Front & Tag axle wheel bearings - smagown - 09-02-2012

Steve:
How do you access the resevoir's?
Thanks

RE: Front & Tag axle wheel bearings - rheavn - 09-02-2012

Steve,
I just take off the Kane hub covers and remove the rubber center plug. I then use a large syringe that is sold at Wal*Mart to suck as much of the oil out as possible. I then refill to full line. Recheck in an hour as it will drop. Refill to full line. Repeat until oil stops dropping. Replace center plug and Kane covers and you're done.

RE: Front & Tag axle wheel bearings - qcj - 01-05-2014

Steve, I have replaced front and tag oil in bearings reservoir. Got into a little bit of trouble, because on my front wheels it has "minimum oil level". It does not have full. So I filled it above the minimum oil level. Well I noticed that I had oil streaks on my wheels, so bought new plugs and that didn't help. Then my brakes started acting different, like the rotors maybe had high spots on them which when had to brake hard there would be a shimmy in the steering wheel. Finally figured out when the wheels got hot the oil level went above the fill hole and more than likely some oil got on the rotors. So today I brought the oil level back down to minimum. It would have saved me a lot of trouble if it had said minimum cold level. On my next trip I hope this solves the problem. My tag reservoir has a full mark and every MH I've owned has had a full mark. On this 99 my front only has minimum. I hope this might help others if their oil reservoir is the same as mine or maybe I just made a stupid mistake. Chappell