You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Thoughts and Discussion on Fulltiming - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Fun Stuff (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Full Timing Experiences (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Thoughts and Discussion on Fulltiming (/showthread.php?tid=2018)

Pages: 1 2 3

Thoughts and Discussion on Fulltiming - LJSteinmetz - 12-27-2014

Note: This discussion started on another thread so i moved it here. It was getting very interesting and i thought it deserved its own thread. if you have suggestions on a better title for it, let me know and i will change it

tom

Over the past month or so we have done some serious soul searching regarding our future retirement plans, what we need for a rainy day fund, retirement account balance, whether to sell our home and go full-timing (exit strategy if we do), buy property and build our forever-home on it, etc., etc., etc. We also sat down with our 32 year old daughter the day after Christmas and watched quite a few YouTube videos of Dave Ramsey as she tries to figure out her course in life.

All this lead-in is to say that we have concluded that our desire is still to go full-timing but to purchase a motorhome, Newell or otherwise, in the $300K - $400K range, as has been our plan for awhile, is probably something we should remove from our thought process. It just does not make economic sense for us and, although we could afford to do it, there are other money priorities that this would have a huge impact on.

I apologize for running on but I showed my wife your coach on MOT and we sat and pondered for awhile and both said, "you know, that thing is beautiful and there is no reason we couldn't enjoy full-timing in something of that age that is that well appointed and looked very well taken care of."

Sorry we aren't yet in the market but just thought I would pass on that your coach may have been the trigger that leads us to look at much older coaches than we previously thought we would. I have to believe that that coach won't last long on the lot!

RE: #467 2 slide 1998 for sale - encantotom - 12-27-2014

Larry,

you dont need to be sorry or apologize for sharing your thoughts. having retired a little less than 2 years ago, i totally follow your thinking.

you can have as much fun in a coach a lot less than 3-400k as one that is in the price range.

would i love a 4 slide steerable tag newell? yes. do i want to take that much out of my retirement funds? no

everyone is at different places in life and we should all enjoy wherever we are at.

thats my 2 cents worth and i am stickin to it (credit to wally)

tom

RE: #467 2 slide 1998 for sale - LJSteinmetz - 12-28-2014

Thanks for the thoughts Tom...I know I am not the first to come to this conclusion but it sure seems like it took a long time to get here! Wink

RE: #467 2 slide 1998 for sale - Russ Davis - 12-30-2014

(12-27-2014, 09:37 PM)LJSteinmetz Wrote:  
(11-02-2014, 05:00 AM)folivier Wrote:  Or buy mine for less money and get a Girard awning!
Spent the last 2 days emptying it out and will park it at MOT today.
$134500

Over the past month or so we have done some serious soul searching regarding our future retirement plans, what we need for a rainy day fund, retirement account balance, whether to sell our home and go full-timing (exit strategy if we do), buy property and build our forever-home on it, etc., etc., etc. We also sat down with our 32 year old daughter the day after Christmas and watched quite a few YouTube videos of Dave Ramsey as she tries to figure out her course in life.

All this lead-in is to say that we have concluded that our desire is still to go full-timing but to purchase a motorhome, Newell or otherwise, in the $300K - $400K range, as has been our plan for awhile, is probably something we should remove from our thought process. It just does not make economic sense for us and, although we could afford to do it, there are other money priorities that this would have a huge impact on.

I apologize for running on but I showed my wife your coach on MOT and we sat and pondered for awhile and both said, "you know, that thing is beautiful and there is no reason we couldn't enjoy full-timing in something of that age that is that well appointed and looked very well taken care of."

Sorry we aren't yet in the market but just thought I would pass on that your coach may have been the trigger that leads us to look at much older coaches than we previously thought we would. I have to believe that that coach won't last long on the lot!
Larry,
I know exactly how you feel, as my wife and I looked at our options and decided that the quality and craftsmanship in an older Newell is at a standard few other coaches, new or old, can claim! Especially, after a recent tour of the Newell factory, we saw first hand how many of the same practices used in the construction of our coach is STILL USED today!
With that said, the decision to buy Coach #428 1996 38' non-slide unit was relatively a simple one. We are having the time of our lives, full time traveling to places we only dreamed about, in a coach that is extremely comfortable, reliable and very efficient! Top that off with the fact that when we arrive at the park, folks come by and compliment us and can't believe its not a brand new, or couple year old unit!
That, coupled with the extremely high interest rates ? the banking industry graciously embellish us with the money we have in our savings accounts, makes buying an older Newell, what folks call a
REAL NO BRAINER!
Just my two cents!
Russ Davis

RE: #467 2 slide 1998 for sale - 77newell - 12-30-2014

My wife and I have been to this same rodeo several times. There are a couple considerations not yet mentioned. Unless you have spent extended time in a motorhome it is hard to judge the extent to which you will enjoy the experience. There are people that find it to be the best experience ever and there are those that end up hating it, and sometimes each other. While you both can imagine what the experience will be like, there is considerable research that clearly demonstrates that our imaginations are faulty in critical ways. I would suggest reading the book "Stumbling on Happiness". It will help you avoid unnecessary surprises.

If motorhome experience is limited but strongly aspired to it may be wise to ensure as much as possible that you purchase a coach that you are confident you can sell without undue distress. Two reasons for this; you may find that this isn't for you, or based on increased experience you are clearer about what is needed in order for you and your spouse to have a pleasant experience.

Finally, financial institutions are reluctant to loan on older coaches so you may need more cash. The coach I own now was previously sold but the deal fell through due to inability to obtain financing, even with good credit, on a 93 coach.

RE: #467 2 slide 1998 for sale - LJSteinmetz - 12-30-2014

77newell,

I can certainly understand what you are saying. My wife and I have been RVers for on-and-off 30 years. That said, it has only been weekend, vacation RVing and extended stays in a camp ground when in between military assignments. We have been seriously discussing full-timing since 2004 when I first stumbled across Escapees.

Our bookshelf has 5-10 books on full-timing; the first one we bought being what many people consider to be the bible (or did at the time), "Movin' On" by Ron and Barb Hofmeister. This book and reading Escapees all these years has really wetted our appetite for full-time traveling. That said, probably every book we have says something similar to the following: "No amount of vacation or weekend RVing, regardless of number of years doing it, will give you ANY indication of whether or not you will like full-timing." I remember reading an Escapees thread early on in our research where a lady posted that she and her husband had been avid outdoors people and RVers for several decades and longed for the day that they could retire and hit the road. Six months into the experience they were both climbing the walls and decided to hang it up before they had been on the road a year. I met an Escapees person (5th wheel and Volvo truck) who I discovered lived less than 5 miles from my house. We met them for dinner one weekend to kind of pick their brain about their experience. He retired with 30 years in the Air Force and him and his wife set out full-timing right after retiring from the military. They made it 8 months before he started sending out resumes finally landing a job in Houston. He said they would still like to go full-timing (they kept their fiver and truck) but just didn't think the timing had been right for them (my guess is he wanted to see what he could do in the civilian job market as an engineer after so many years working for Uncle Sam). Conversely, I have read many posts from people that wished they had taken early retirement because full-timing has been an incredible, life-changing experience for them.

Long story, short...I do not disagree with you and have no way of knowing if my wife and I are cut out for full-timing. You do make a very good point about possibly getting locked into an RV that may be hard to get rid of if you find out that you don't have the level of wanderlust you thought you had.

RE: #467 2 slide 1998 for sale - Fulltiming - 12-30-2014

Georgia and I sold our home of 16 years, retired and began fulltiming in 2000. I absolutely loved it!!! Georgia enjoyed it but missed having a sticks and bricks home. We lived the full time lifestyle for 10-1/2 years. When it ended, for Georgia, it was a return to normalcy. For me, it was the end of a dream.

Now with a home to worry about and maintain, we rarely travel in our coach, only a few weeks a year. Georgia would like to travel more but I fight with the issues of leaving the home unattended and the effort to pack and unpack the coach (tools, computers, clothes, food) each time. We have been fortunate enough to find friends to house sit while we have been gone to relieve my concerns but my enjoyment of the travel is now tainted with the loss of the freedom I felt when we lived in our coach full time, had no other property to worry about and truly experienced 'home is where you park it' 365 days a year.

I have lost the feeling of being at home when traveling that I enjoyed so much for 10+ years, now replaced with concern over a potential water leak in the house or yard, a power outage ruining the food in the refrigerator, the HVAC system going out during very hot or cold weather, or any of dozens of other things that can and have happened to a home, must less one not being looked after daily.

Your mileage will vary but I have lived the fulltime dream and would not have traded the experience.

[split] Thoughts - bikestuff - 12-31-2014

Michael,

My thoughts exactly. Well said!

bill

RE: #467 2 slide 1998 for sale - Chester Stone - 12-31-2014

I am interested in this subject of fulltiming. As you all know, I am a widower and I am ready to sell my ocean front home here in Mexico, which is simply too large for one person. If and when it sells, my current thinking is to fulltime. Thus, I read with interest the experience of others using this life style. Michael, your comments regarding the obligations of owning a home is what I am experiencing.

RE: Thoughts and Discussion on Fulltiming - prairieschooner - 12-31-2014

I was hoping this discussion would be moved.

I would like to suggest that if fulltiming is a dream you get out there before you have regrets. We have a 32 year old Coach but live in it a few months a year and it fits us fine. Clarke and Elaine are fulltiming in our sister coach and having a great time. Newells are built very well and traveling even in an older coach is attainable.

There are other things to consider depending on your lifestyle; Width the newer coaches are a little wider and that could present problems on some roads especially during construction. Slides - some parks are not set up to handle the extra width of a slide extended. Power - Some Parks have only 30 Amp Service and even that is questionable when the park is full. We also like to Dry-Camp and don't want to have to run the generator and most parks have limitations on that.

While we were younger we threw caution to the wind and lived aboard our sailboat. We had a wonderful time and learned allot about ourselves, Like Michael eluded wouldn't have it any other way. Glad we did that then, No regrets!
Now we are happy to have a "home base". We still want to travel but as they say "if you sell your house in California you won't be able to come back" and until we find someplace that we like better than where we are and not willing to trade everything for a newer coach.

just one man's opinion.