You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Silverleaf VMS - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Engine and Transmission Monitoring Systems (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Silverleaf VMS (/showthread.php?tid=203)

Pages: 1 2 3

Silverleaf VMS - rheavn - 09-17-2012

Bill Johnson, aka bikestuff, replaced his VMS unit, so he had an extra. Bill was nice enough to allow me to try his old VMS unit as I have had questions about the reliability of my dash gauges. Most of my dash gauges record readings that are consistent with the VMS. Two gauges are not even close. My oil pressure gauge has always run between 18-25 psi--VMS shows oil pressure as 48-50 psi. My voltage gauge has recently began registering around 11 volts--VMS shows 13.6 volts.

Thanks Bill..........................

RE: Silverleaf VMS - Express1 - 09-17-2012

Now if you just toss that old sat-system...Can you say in-motion HD?

RE: Silverleaf VMS - rheavn - 09-17-2012

I replaced my sat system with in-motion in 2010.

Movin on up..............................

RE: Silverleaf VMS - encantotom - 09-17-2012

hi steve. now you can see why we love the vmspc system.

are you going to keep using it?

btw, i run in the high 40's for oil pressure at speed as well.

tom

RE: Silverleaf VMS - rheavn - 09-17-2012

Yes I am going to keep using it. It is a VMS 200--not the type you use with a laptop. I have been able to configure it the way I want it. It's easier than checking the gauges. I can see why many of the new Newells are being produced with the Silverleaf glass dash. To me that is the way of the future---but it is still very costly now.

RE: Silverleaf VMS - encantotom - 09-17-2012

i had the older vmspc box that needed a serial to usb adapter on it to work with a laptop. it worked fine but was a little finicky on usb ports. i sold it to jeff and pam for the tradein price that silverleaf would give me when i bought the newer version.

the newer version plugs into a usb port with no adapter.

it worked fine with my old laptop. i just bought a new lenovo y580 with a 3rd gen ivy bridge quadcore processor laptop. i put the vmspc software on it and installed the drivers, plugged in the vmspc box and it saw it and finished the install of the drivers and all was well. at least until i plugged in the other end of the cable to the diagnostic port on the coach and turned the key on. as soon as i turned the key on, my laptop completely powered down and stayed there until i either turned the key off or took the usb cable out.

did it on all ports.

after a few calls and emails to silverleaf, they came up with a fix. (scott you were right on with the issue). there was an issue with the power coming from the coach to power the box.

the way the vmspc box is designed, it uses USB power from the laptop to power the box, so you can see flashing lights on the box once it is plugged into the laptop and before you plug it into the diagnostic port on the coach. when the key is turned on, it now powers the box from the coach. on some chipsets, they dont like that and detect a power issue and shut the laptop down to prevent damage.

mine happened to be one of those that did that.

i7 3610QM @2.3ghz cpu
Intel HM76 chipset

they told me to open the vmspc box and take the power selection jumper off (it is right next to the usb connector internally). that isolated the power for the box to prevent the conflict.

and i hooked it up, turned the key on and everything worked fine.

thought i would post my problem and solution in case someone else had the same problem.

later

tom

RE: Silverleaf VMS - Fulltiming - 09-18-2012

Tom, glad they found an easy solution to the problem. That would be a bummer to not be able to use your high end laptop.

RE: Silverleaf VMS - Express1 - 09-19-2012

(09-17-2012, 11:07 AM)rheavn Wrote:  Yes I am going to keep using it. It is a VMS 200--not the type you use with a laptop. I have been able to configure it the way I want it. It's easier than checking the gauges. I can see why many of the new Newells are being produced with the Silverleaf glass dash. To me that is the way of the future---but it is still very costly now.

Can you say "Santa Claus"Big Grin

RE: Silverleaf VMS - rheavn - 09-19-2012

The question will be, "Have I been naughty or nice?" I'll let you know Dec 26th

RE: Silverleaf VMS - Express1 - 09-19-2012

(09-19-2012, 06:52 PM)rheavn Wrote:  The question will be, "Have I been naughty or nice?" I'll let you know Dec 26th

Isn't that the same thing?Angel