You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
cummins vs cat on new newells - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Drivetrain (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: cummins vs cat on new newells (/showthread.php?tid=204)

Pages: 1 2

cummins vs cat on new newells - encantotom - 09-17-2012

i see that newell went to a cummins 600hp with an allison 6 speed tranny from the cat 625hp with the 10 speed zf tranny.

anyone know the reason why? i thought the 10 speed zf was to die for and now they are back to the 6 speed allison?

tom

RE: cummins vs cat on new newells - bikestuff - 09-17-2012

Tom,

I understand that CAT exited the over-the-road market due to emission compliance issues. Cummins is the only one making suitable engines at this point. As far as transmission, I have no idea other than it might be an easier "fit" between allison and Cummins. Also, there have been some complaints about the ZF rolling backwards if you dont stay on the brake....think the Allison may be a little more forgiving than ZF.

bill

RE: cummins vs cat on new newells - ron skeen - 09-17-2012

The 10 and 12 speed sound like they would be great, but do you ever get tired of hearing the tran shifting all the time. I don't even like to hear my Allison shift so I don't run in performance. The 600HP may be all allison allow? Probably if I could afford, my preference would be the DD with Allison in 2005-6 rear steer and that what I am waiting on. I was at Newell when they sent out a drirveshaft for a 625HP with 10speed that had come out of the bus in Branson.

RE: cummins vs cat on new newells - encantotom - 09-17-2012

my coach has an Allison HD4000MH, with max input of 650hp and 1950 foot pounds of torque. so the hp of the cat or the cummins is within the range.

tom

here is a web site at allison that if you put your serial number in, it will tell you all about your tranny.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/myallisontransmission/mytransmissioninformation/index.jsp

here is what spits out for mine in my 2002

Serial Number 6610087423
Model Name HD4000MH

Engineering Groups
Component Number Description
RSN NO REAR SUPPORT BRKT.
01-807 MAIN HOUSING HD/B500
02-628 FILL TUBE & DIPSTICK
05-600 MAIN SHAFT MODULE (CR)
08-774 1710 FLANGE RETARDER
10-609 FRT SUPT & OIL PUMP (STD)
14-1005 P1 PLANETARY MODULE
15-511 P2 PLANETARY MODULE (CR)
16-1739 4"SUMP,W/OLS
20-540 REAR RMT PROV
21-928 TC541 CONVERTER GROUP
24-799 TRNS SE DDC V92 & S50/6O
25-543 ROTATING CLUTCH HD NO PTO
34-543 CONVERTER HSG MOD (STD)
39-816 HD,REAR COVER,CR,NO TACHO,1BOLT,O/N

RE: cummins vs cat on new newells - rheavn - 09-17-2012

The last time I was at Newell I spoke with Chuck and asked this question. He said that the Allison was preferred by most. The ZF was most effective if you are in a mountainous area, but for flat highways the Allison was preferred. Bill had the engine change right. Cat is no longer participating in the over the road market due to emissions standards. I'm surprised Newell hasn't gone back to the new Detroit Diesel engine, but Chuck did say they were looking at it.

that DD16 is an absolute monster.

tom

RE: cummins vs cat on new newells - tuga - 01-24-2013

(09-17-2012, 05:47 PM)rheavn Wrote:  The last time I was at Newell I spoke with Chuck and asked this question. He said that the Allison was preferred by most. The ZF was most effective if you are in a mountainous area, but for flat highways the Allison was preferred. Bill had the engine change right. Cat is no longer participating in the over the road market due to emissions standards. I'm surprised Newell hasn't gone back to the new Detroit Diesel engine, but Chuck did say they were looking at it.

Steve,

Just for clarity: his name is not Chuck it's CRESLIE.Smile

RE: cummins vs cat on new newells - rheavn - 01-24-2013

Tuga,
I don't know why I have such a mental block on John Clarke's name. I've referred to him as Chuck more than once. I've never spoken with Creslie. My reference was to John Clarke.

RE: cummins vs cat on new newells - tuga - 01-24-2013

No problem Steve, I guess we are both getting old!Big Grin

I'm correcting you and I'm guessing the wrong person. What a mess!Smile

Sorry!