You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Texas work in progress - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Please introduce yourself (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+--- Thread: Texas work in progress (/showthread.php?tid=2093)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Texas work in progress - dkarb - 01-31-2015

Hi everyone!  We bought our Newell in July 2014 and have been enjoying and renovating it ever since.  Lots of frame rust (working on that) and many other issues many of which we've already taken care of.  It belonged to an acquaintance for the past 9 yrs and was used to go back and forth to auto races while towing the race car in a trailer.  Currently the 3 ft wide stripe of peeling black paint is being repainted (not flat black this time) and some broken windows are being replaced.  The race car driving acquaintance bought it from someone in Iowa I believe.  It has the name "Ridgerunner" on the front.  If anyone knows anything else about our Newell's history we would really like to hear from you.

RE: Texas work in progress - Retro - 01-31-2015

Welcome Dave and Tish, is great to see another classic owner here. Can you post some pictures of your coach? What engine does it have? Is the rust mostly from your tanks leaking Or?

RE: Texas work in progress - Richard - 01-31-2015

Welcome aboard.

RE: Texas work in progress - HoosierDaddy - 01-31-2015

Welcome Dave and Trish!
That looks like a great project. I really enjoy restifying my Newell!

RE: Texas work in progress - whatsnewell - 01-31-2015

Always good to see another Classic on the site! Our '82 is also a 36 footer.

RE: Texas work in progress - prairieschooner - 02-01-2015

Welcome, you will find allot of help here.

RE: Texas work in progress - dkarb - 02-01-2015

The engine is a Cummins V903.  The engine and the generator look, sound and run great.  My main problem is the rust damage.  I sent photos of the underside to the people at the Newell factory.  One of the Jims (Jim Gering) said it was the worst rust damage he’s ever seen and I think he’s been with Newell for a long time.   He seemed to think the rust was from being in a bad environment for a long time but I still suspect the wet bay.  The plywood under the holding tanks have a lot of rot.  The majority of the rust damage is under and around the wet bay.  Someone replaced some of the plumbing in the wet bay at some time.  I think there was a leak somewhere in the wet bay and the foam underneath held it to the frame and rusted away.  The only leak I found in the wet bay was at the flange where the toilet empties into the black tank and I fixed that.  I know from this forum that the holding tanks have a tendency to develop leaks but I can see no evidence of any other active leaks.  Maybe a combination of a bad environment and a wet bay leak?

Anyway, I included some photos (one showing some of the worst rust damage).  I appreciate any advice. 
To HoosierDaddy:  I grew up in Ft. Wayne.

RE: Texas work in progress - HoosierDaddy - 02-01-2015

Hi Dave,
I did exactly what you are going to need to do on my 1978 Newell. I ended up building a new waste tank and rebuilding the floors etc. What materials are your tanks constructed of?

RE: Texas work in progress - HoosierDaddy - 02-01-2015

A couple pics of the finished project.

RE: Texas work in progress - larryweikartsr - 02-01-2015

Welcome Dave and Tish, to the best coach site you can find. The people on this forum have as much knowledge about Newells as the factory and are so willing to help. You can go to the archive and find info on just about everything! I grew up in Ft. Wayne also and now live On Iyopawa Island on Coldwater Lake. (by the way, my favorite meal comes from a little place on Main St, just west of Calhoun??)