You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Trailer or Toad - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Towing (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: Trailer or Toad (/showthread.php?tid=2689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Trailer or Toad - s2swift - 01-11-2016

Hello All:
We are trying do decide how to move our toys around with us as we travel the US.  My initial thought was to buy a 24 ft. stacker trailer  to carry my motorcycle - Ducati MultiStrada -  a Big Green Egg and some kind of car.  However, I have been told that a trailer is not worth the trouble and we would be better off with a motorcycle lift on the back of the coach and a towed car.
Can you share your thoughts and experience to help us make the right choice?  Thanks for your help.

RE: Trailer or Toad - hagcam - 01-11-2016

I have a lift and tow a car. Your motorcycle gets filthy on a lift especially in the rain. For just a car and motorcycle you dont need a stacker. I have this discussion with myself often.

RE: Trailer or Toad - Yachts - 01-11-2016

, full disclosure here. I have had both and stackers for the last 15 years. I also own a company that builds stackers so I am admittedly biased.

After having stackers the plus is obvious, haul everything. Keep it clean.

The minuses are as follows.

1.Climbing out the window or rear hatch because the wheel wells in the trailer do not allow you to exit the door normally.

2.Dealing with ramps or lift gates. These can be simple or difficult safe or dangerous depending on the configuration.. ( lift gates for a single person or couple is so not a good idea.)

3. Pulling a trailer results in the trailer "cutting the corner" which means increased area needed to turn especially right turns.

4. Hooking up , trying to line up a trailer from 45 feet away is not an easy process and requires a large area to allow the coach to line up.

5. When arriving at a location making sure there is ample space to maneuver and drop the trailer.

Now here is my sales pitch.

Newman-Ellis Coach Trailers have addressed all 5 of the previous issues.

1. Newman-Ellis Coach trailers have no axles ,just 4 independent suspension modules, located on each of the 4 corners. This allows a lower center of gravity and more interior height because we do not need to start the floor of the trailer above the axles. Also because the wheels are located on the four corners you can open the drivers side door normally and exit the vehicle easily because you do not have wheel wells in the way.

2. Newman -Ellis trailers also lay flat on the ground for loading and unloading. Because Newman-Ellis trailers want to make having a stacker easy. The air ride suspension allows the entire trailer to lay flat on the ground with the touch of a button eliminating the need for rear ramp doors or lift gates. This also allows cars with low ground clearance to not scrape a ramp on loading. The rear door hinges upwards allowing for a rear covered area behind the trailer. It also can be controlled with a remote so you Can actually use the trailer as a garage. Pull up hit the button drive in. Another issue with other trailers is as a car is driving up a ramp it is difficult to stay lined up. Since there is no ramp on a Newman-Ellis your vision is not obscured while on the incline of a ramp.

3. Newman-Ellis trailers front tires are steerable. The front axles steer allowing for the trailer to follow in the coaches tracks meaning if the coach makes the corner the trailer will make it. We also have a patented reverse system. When backing up a traditional trailer you must turn the vehicle in the opposite direction of the way you want the trailer to move. With a flat 4 tow vehicle, reversing is nearly impossible. Newman -Ellis trailers use a patented system that upon putting the coach in reverse. Hydraulic Rams reverse the geometry of the front steer tires and allows the entire trailer and coach to be backed up as one unit. Turn the wheel the direction you want to back up and the entire vehicle backs as one unit.

4 and 5.One of the most unique features of a Newman Ellis is the hydraulic motor that allows you to drive the trailer to the coach. Complete with joystick control there is never a need to line up and back up the coach to a trailer. Simply walk up to the trailer grab the joystick controller and drive it right to your hitch on your coach . Whether it's 10 yards or 200 yards or even a mile away. Being able to drive the trailer to the coach makes hooking up a breeze and a one person job. Also when you arrive at your destination you can unhook park the coach and then simply drive the trailer to where ever it is needed to be put. This eliminates the need to have a giant pull through or tight campground issues.

A few other issues, because we have tires on 4 corners the actual tongue weight is virtually zero. This eliminates any extra weight on the rear suspension of the coach. All trailers come with Alcoa 22.5 inch rims which match the coach and gives it an awesome look. We paint to match the trailer to your coach.

Interior wise Newman-Ellis will custom design it to your wants and needs. One option is to have "kiddie quarters" . With the dual lift option the entire front of the trailer has a second level. After backing out your toys. You can lower the front lift and a second bedroom complete with bathroom and bunks is available. This allows you to park your stacker next to your coach and let the kids or other guests have an additional bedroom for themselves.

All trailers can be equipped Generator, a/c.  They also can be plugged into your coaches buddy plug or to a campground power pole.

Stackers also allow you to take so much more with you..  Ever tried to find a 365 tire on the road for your fronts on the coach if you had a blow out? No worries keep a couple spares in the trailer. Need a full size tool box? No problem.  Want a mobile office , extra bedroom, or even a man cave. Use your stacker for more than just a car hauler.

In my opinion a Newman-Ellis Stacker offer so much more than just a clean car. It adds to the lifestyle.

Another thing. They are built in Miami Oklahoma. Smile

My 2 centsSmile

Marc Newman

RE: Trailer or Toad - ron skeen - 01-11-2016

Hey Marc.

WHEN, WHERE, HOW MUCH?
Over the last 15 year I have use trailers, platforms, ramps, and flat towed trucks. I have alway took motorcycles, ATV, and trucks with me in all of my trips. I prefer the rack on M/C and flat tow a truck loaded. I have just bought two new open car haulers a 26' and a 18' to see which one is going to work best for me. I am going to try again. I have never pull a stacker but your sure sound interesting. Have been waiting to see. I will be selling some of my towing items when I see what work best for me.

RE: Trailer or Toad - s2swift - 01-11-2016

Marc:
I am interested in hearing more about this trailer. Do you have pictures, specs, etc?

RE: Trailer or Toad - Yachts - 01-11-2016

(01-11-2016, 11:48 AM)s2swift Wrote:  Marc:
I am interested in hearing more about this trailer.  Do you have pictures, specs, etc?

Give me a call, 918852-4157

RE: Trailer or Toad - HoosierDaddy - 01-11-2016

I realize that my experience doesn't directly relate to the original question but hopefully it will be beneficial. I tow-barred my Jeep for years with our 35' Newell. After moving up to the current 45' I found that there are more situations that I need to be able to back up. I now tow an 18' Imperial open trailer. That works better for me because I am able to back up a bit when needed to fit into a tight spot. Sometimes at a truck stop backing in to a spot is the only option. By using my rear camera I can back up to the trailer hitch to hook up with no problem. There are times when the combination will not fit into an available camp-site so I unhook the trailer from the Newell and tow it with the Jeep to the designated trailer parking area.
When we are able to spend more time traveling I would like to get some kind of an enclosed trailer.
My message specifically to David and Lengki is that an important consideration is whether you are comfortable with never being able to back up. A tow bar will not allow it.

RE: Trailer or Toad - Flick - 01-11-2016

David related to the Green Egg I assume you are talking about a grill. We have Kamado Joe and those things are crazy heavy. How big is the one your taking? My wife has pointed out that there is a small version like a table top size but even that one is like 90 lbs.

RE: Trailer or Toad - encantotom - 01-11-2016

we have the full size green egg and it needs to be moved with my tractor....ha

tom

RE: Trailer or Toad - s2swift - 01-12-2016

The original thought was to get a stacker trailer and keep the car on the bottom and the motorcycle and Green Egg on the top. So, the medium egg was the one we would have used. After doing some more research - not much else to do right now - I think we will go with a motorcycle lift and a towed SUV. The small egg can fit in the back of the SUV and it is 90 lbs so my wife will have to work out before we leave so we both can lift it out of the truck. I am hooked on cooking with the egg as it is the only way that I can cook anything worth eating. Does anyone have any experience with the Hydralift? It looks like a good way to move the motorcycle.