You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Using our Newell - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Fun Stuff (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Travel Logs (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Using our Newell (/showthread.php?tid=3039)

Pages: 1 2

Using our Newell - kyleb - 08-23-2016

Short weekend trips are great when you find a really good campsite.
Oak Plantation in Charleston, SC has lots of them.
We had some good neighbors & enjoyed visiting with the owner of the old greyhound. Was a very nice conversion. Almost made me miss the one I had - almost -- Then I looked at my Newell - didn't miss the old bus after all.

Can't wait for the next great adventure!

RE: Using our Newell - encantotom - 08-23-2016

i love the look of your newell. i also have to say the outside of the scenic cruiser is really cool as well. how was the inside?

tom

RE: Using our Newell - Richard - 08-24-2016

Are you the same Kyle from SC that is on the bus conversion forum?

RE: Using our Newell - kyleb - 08-24-2016

Thanks, the original paint is showing its age tho. I hope it hangs on a bit longer till I decide what paint I want to use.

The Scenicruiser looked just as good on the inside.

Richard, it is very likely that I am the same one on the Bus Conversion Magazine forum , ;^)

RE: Using our Newell - Richard - 08-24-2016

Being a SC boy originally I remembered a rally close to Lake Greenwood that you were associated with

RE: Using our Newell - jcus - 08-24-2016

Love those scenicruiser's. Originally came with two 4-71 detroits with fluid coupling between them.
Think all were converted to 8-71's latter on.

RE: Using our Newell - kyleb - 08-24-2016

I still host a "non rally" the second weekend in October every year at Palmetto Cove RV park.
This year, it is the 7th thru the 9th. early arrivals welcome.

I call it a "non rally" because I don't charge a rally fee or plan anything except shared meals. The theme is EAT & GREET. Main thing is laid back fellowship.
The meals are what I call a modified covered dish - I provide the main entree & everyone brings their favorite side or dessert or make a donation to help offset the cost of the main entree

This year will be the 11th one.

http://www.palmettocove.com/index.html

Would be great to see a few Newells there for the non rally !

RE: Using our Newell - travelite - 08-25-2016

Fascinating info on the dual 4-71's. I didn't know that. The ingenuity of the early DD technical staff was astounding. The scenicruisers are one of my favorites. Smile

RE: Using our Newell - kyleb - 08-25-2016

The dual 4-71's were connected to a 3 speed transmission that had a 2 spd clutch -- 6 fwd speeds & 2 reverse. The engines also had 2 speed settings for the engine governor, a higher speed for the lower gears & a micro switch to engage the lower speed when in 6th gear.
There are stories about how the drivers would pull the shifter back a little to leave it in the higher speed setting - this would allow the coach to exceed 100 mph.

I am lucky enough to have a friend who remembers working on the twin 4-71's as a greyhound mechanic. The stories he has. . . . .

RE: Using our Newell - jcus - 08-25-2016

(08-25-2016, 06:52 PM)kyleb Wrote:  The dual 4-71's were connected to a 3 speed transmission that had a 2 spd clutch -- 6 fwd speeds & 2 reverse. The engines also had 2 speed settings for the engine governor, a higher speed for the lower gears & a micro switch to engage the lower speed when in 6th gear.
There are stories about how the drivers would pull the shifter back a little to leave it in the higher speed setting - this would allow the coach to exceed 100 mph.

I am lucky enough to have a friend who remembers working on the twin 4-71's as a greyhound mechanic. The stories he has. . . . .

There were tough in those days [50's] had a 4905, a newer version of the 4501, with a 8-71, once hit 95 by gps going downhill, 2400 rpm. Good name. 'Screaming jimmies' ha!