You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Slideroom seal not deflating - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Slides (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=55)
+--- Thread: Slideroom seal not deflating (/showthread.php?tid=322)

Slideroom seal not deflating - tuga - 10-31-2012

I tried to extend my bedroom slideroom the other day and after it traveled out about 1" I stopped it. It seemed that the air seal was sticking to the slideroom. I walked outside and noticed that the rubber seal was rolling out with the slideroom! Not good!

I retracted the slideroom back inside and called Newell. Cresile put me in touch with Mark.

Mark w/Newell told me that it was probably a bad solenoid. It was not staying open long enough for all of the air to exhaust out of the seal.

I found a replacement at Grainger's for $86.

Lesson learned: after you deflate the air seal on the slideroom, check to see if you can see daylight or get someone to visually check it outside BEFORE you extend the slideroom.

RE: Slideroom seal not deflating - encantotom - 10-31-2012

tuga, did the solenoid fix it?

when it how did you recognize from inside that the air seal was sticking to the slide? what made you stop extending it?

tom

RE: Slideroom seal not deflating - tuga - 11-01-2012

(10-31-2012, 10:09 PM)encantotom Wrote:  tuga, did the solenoid fix it?

when it how did you recognize from inside that the air seal was sticking to the slide? what made you stop extending it?

tom

Tom,

The solenoid is on order - haven't rec'd it yet.

The slideroom did not glide out smoothly; it hesitated and appeared to be stuck. When that happened I immediately stopped extending it.

I can see daylight on my bedroom slide around where the floor meets the bottom of the slideroom (under the night stands).

I also discovered an air valve that can be closed if you develop an air leak in the seal. By closing this air valve the 12v air compressor does not continuously run if you have a leak. It is located in line with the regulator and the solenoid.

RE: Slideroom seal not deflating - jimg - 11-01-2012

Tuga,
A visual inspection is always a good Idea and imperative when the coach has not been used for an extended period of time. Also when the rooms are run in or out inspect the mating surface of the room seal for foreign debris or noticeable residue on the surface clean and wax the area. You want to keep it clean and dry.

RE: Slideroom seal not deflating - rheavn - 11-01-2012

Tuga,
If & when the solenoid you ordered solves the problem, can you post the Grainger part number?

RE: Slideroom seal not deflating - tuga - 03-07-2013

Sorry it took so long to answer. The problem was not due to the solenoid.

I brought the coach to Newell and they installed a vacuum pump to suck all of the air out of the air bladder. They said that the vacuum pumps are standard equipment on the newer Newells. Sucking all of the air out insures that there will be no rolled gasket problems.

I had them install a vacuum pump on the front slideroom as well.Big Grin

Everyone should consider having Newell install a vacuum pump on their air ballders - I am very glad I did it. FWIW, it is not expensive to to the update. The vacuum pump was about $100 + labor.

RE: Slideroom seal not deflating - bikestuff - 03-07-2013

Hmmmm. Now how do we figure out if we have one of those? When I deflate, it seems like it is a two step process. First, for several seconds, the air is expelled from the bladder...then something happens and the bladder really flattens out.....then the slide comes in. It acts like it has a vacuum pump, but I don't know. Any idea on when they started putting them in? My coach was one of the first ones with the Valid electric slides.

RE: Slideroom seal not deflating - encantotom - 03-07-2013

tuga, do you have a regular part number for the vacuum pump? i know they use a regular f350 vacuum pump on the dash up front for the louvers because i put one in my 90 to replace the air powered one that leaked.

i am also curious as to how that is plumbed in. i assume right where the regulator is for the slide seal.

tom

RE: Slideroom seal not deflating - tuga - 03-08-2013

(03-07-2013, 07:29 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Hmmmm. Now how do we figure out if we have one of those? When I deflate, it seems like it is a two step process. First, for several seconds, the air is expelled from the bladder...then something happens and the bladder really flattens out.....then the slide comes in. It acts like it has a vacuum pump, but I don't know. Any idea on when they started putting them in? My coach was one of the first ones with the Valid electric slides.

Bill,

It sounds like you already have the vacuum pumps installed. You can check with Newell and I'm sure they can verify it.

(03-07-2013, 07:55 AM)encantotom Wrote:  tuga, do you have a regular part number for the vacuum pump? i know they use a regular f350 vacuum pump on the dash up front for the louvers because i put one in my 90 to replace the air powered one that leaked.

i am also curious as to how that is plumbed in. i assume right where the regulator is for the slide seal.

tom

tom,

i am out of town now, so i don't have access to my maintenance records. it is plumbed (i think) after the solenoid under the bed. it works greatBig Grin

the operator has to be careful to wait until the vacuum pump stops pumping before they extend/retract the slideroom. you can't go by the yellow light anymore. it takes an additional 45 seconds for the vacuum pump to completely deflate the bladder.

when i return home i will post the vacuum pump number. for $100 it is a bargin.