You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
What do all these batteries do? - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Electrical (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: What do all these batteries do? (/showthread.php?tid=3245)

Pages: 1 2

What do all these batteries do? - medcrest - 12-11-2016

I've got a 98 Newell.  There are three battery locations.  Two batteries are in the engine compartment, and logically they're the engine start batteries.  Four batteries are in a passenger side bay.  They are set up in two banks of two, with disconnect switches.  These must be coach batteries.  Then there are two more batteries in a smaller passenger side bay, squeezed in between the rear wheel well and the engine compartment.  They're the ones I'm confused about.  Are they generator start batteries, add-on batteries for the engine?  Decorative?

RE: What do all these batteries do? - HoosierDaddy - 12-11-2016

On my 1993 all six on the driver side are house batts. I am only using the 2 in the rear compartment. I believe they also start the generator.

RE: What do all these batteries do? - folivier - 12-11-2016

Yes all 6 are connected for the house batteries.

RE: What do all these batteries do? - Richard - 12-12-2016

The two behind the tag are house batteries, and are wired in parallel with the four in front of the drive wheel.

RE: What do all these batteries do? - medcrest - 12-12-2016

(12-12-2016, 06:47 AM)Richard Wrote:  The two behind the tag are house batteries, and are wired in parallel with the four in front of the drive wheel.

The next question would be, should I disconnect the disconnectable trays and use a four circuit battery tender, one circuit for each of those trays, one for the tray behind the tag and one for the engine batteries?  It seems to be asking a lot to expect one tender to handle all six house batteries.  I always have a tendency to over engineer things.

RE: What do all these batteries do? - jcus - 12-12-2016

(12-12-2016, 02:23 PM)medcrest Wrote:  
(12-12-2016, 06:47 AM)Richard Wrote:  The two behind the tag are house batteries, and are wired in parallel with the four in front of the drive wheel.

The next question would be, should I disconnect the disconnectable trays and use a four circuit battery tender, one circuit for each of those trays, one for the tray behind the tag and one for the engine batteries?  It seems to be asking a lot to expect one tender to handle all six house batteries.  I always have a tendency to over engineer things.

If you are plugged in why do you need a battery tender? Your inverter/charger should take care of all of them.

RE: What do all these batteries do? - Fulltiming - 12-12-2016

Paul, I am not sure if #500 charges anything other than the house batteries from the inverter/charger unless the merge switch is turned on or not. Mine doesn't.

RE: What do all these batteries do? - jcus - 12-12-2016

If you use this device all batteries are connected above 13.2 volts [charging] and disconnected when there is no charge.
https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Cyrix-ct-24V-Battery-Combiner/dp/B00ZWLBZME/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481588381&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+combiner
inverter/charger charges ALL batteries, no need to use merge switch, and no worry about start
batteries running down if you lose shore power.

RE: What do all these batteries do? - HoosierDaddy - 12-13-2016

My 1993 does not charge engine batts from invertor/charger unless they are merged. While in storage I depend on the charger to charge the house AGM batts and a trickle charger/maintainer hooked to the lead acid engine batts. I never merge unless it is necessary because of a low batt condition.

RE: What do all these batteries do? - Fulltiming - 12-13-2016

My 1992 is like yours. I use a AMP-L-START to charge the start batteries from the coach batteries when the coach batteries are being charged by the inverter/charger.