You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Air ride and leveling issues - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Emergency Coach Help Needed (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Forum: Help, I need help ASAP (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: Air ride and leveling issues (/showthread.php?tid=3554)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Air ride and leveling issues - Land Yacht - 06-10-2017

We are in Blairsville GA at a nice park for a week now. I have been having air leveling issues all week, but did not seem major. Now they seem to be getting more severe. I am thinking the drivers side rear has a big leak or relief valve stuck open. I just tried to bring the coach to normal height via running the engine in travel mode with slides still deployed. The drivers side rear corner barely lifted off the wheels while the rest of the coach raised to travel height. I decided to dump all the air. The dump light kept flashing so I hit travel and then shut the engine before it could inflate again. We are leaning to the drivers side a bit, but at least the bode door will operate correctly, it has not many times this week until I releveled. 

At this point I am not sure the coach is drivable because the drivers rear is sitting on the tires. Maybe retracting the slides would change that but I don't think so. I don't have any jacks or blocks to get under the coach. 

Am I hurting the coach sitting with all the air released? 
Do I need to call Newell after hours or can this wait till Monday?
Any suggestions appreciated
Mike

RE: Air ride and leveling issues - Richard - 06-10-2017

Talking with mike now.

RE: Air ride and leveling issues - HoosierDaddy - 06-10-2017

The first thing I would check is the travel solenoid. While in travel mode the solenoids should be energized. A screw driver should be magnetically attracted to the solenoid.
Next I would check the linkage to the ride height control valves. They are located just behind the drive tires. There will be air line connected to each of them. A link will connect them to the axle. A quick easy check to make sure the right and left sides are similar in length. It is possible that the driver side slipped out of adjustment when the coach totally aired down.
If it lifts enough to avoid rubbing , the ride height control valve may start working after it cycles up and down. They are sometimes slow to get full ride height.

Uh. Just do what Richard says....

Coach will not raise on the suspect corner when all up is activated and will
Not build full pressure with engine.
Plus mike hears air leaking at that corner before it pancakes again.

Next step is identifying leak

RE: Air ride and leveling issues - Land Yacht - 06-10-2017

Troubleshooting with Richard. The last thing he said was to turn the key on which did start the 110v compressor, to go see if I could hear air leaking between the Drive and tag wheels, but nothing. Did I miss something?

Maybe I have to raise again then go crawl between the wheels to see?

More troubleshooting in the morning, but taking all ideas tonight :-)
Thanks
Mike

RE: Air ride and leveling issues - afrench - 06-10-2017

I had this issue, and once the bad was deflated and folded over it couldn't recover. Eventually after leveling the coach every which way it would come up. I thought I was going to have to have coach towed to Newell, but limped it up there. Ended up being a bad bag on the tag.

Mike, turn key on, put coach in travel mode with 110 V compressor turned on. That should provide enough air to find leak. If you leave it in level mode none of the six pack valves are open, therefore no air going to leak.

RE: Air ride and leveling issues - Land Yacht - 06-10-2017

Richard, that is what I did; key on, travel mode, 110v compressor came on but no noticeable air leak between the wheels. I have not tried level mode since we started talking.

Should I raise the coach and try again because I did hear a leak in that situation. Or what about plugging my portable compressor in to the port in the rear passenger compartment , would that help?

RE: Air ride and leveling issues - Land Yacht - 06-11-2017

I am updating this post 5 minutes after posting...

I will add more information about some oddities and other air repairs I made that should not be related but maybe I am wrong...

Yesterday morning I turned off all air compressors, and drained both the passenger forward bay air tank and the wheel well tank. I had a leaking passenger side dump air control valve. As suggested by another guru, I installed an on/off valve in front of the leaking dump valve, then started the compressors and all is working fine on interior air systems. Almost too good as the bleed of rate is very low. So low is it hard to tell leakage rate because there seems to be none except for usage of doors and toilets.

Now for strangeness - I noticed every time I open the bode air door a weird sound is coming from between the rear wheels. I think this is occurring for any air operation, but I need to confirm. The sound is somewhere around the wheel well tank. 

Update:I just tested opening the valve I installed yesterday (red handle in pic) and running the bode door, no noise in rear wheel well. Closed the valve noise, open the valve no noise. Thus, I will leave open and try my detailed tests again. I really thought this should have no effect...

RE: Air ride and leveling issues - Land Yacht - 06-11-2017

(06-10-2017, 07:42 PM)Land Yacht Wrote:  Richard, that is what I did; key on, travel mode, 110v compressor came on but no noticeable air leak between the wheels. I have not tried level mode since we started talking.

Should I raise the coach and try again because I did hear a leak in that situation. Or what about plugging my portable compressor in to the port in the rear passenger compartment , would that help?

After opening then valve I installed yesterday, and retrying this test - same conclusion. No noticeable air leak between left rear wheels.