You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
120v air compressor replacement - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Air Operated Systems and Leaks (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: 120v air compressor replacement (/showthread.php?tid=3609)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

120v air compressor replacement - encantotom - 07-15-2017

hi all,

there are a number of threads about this but i just wanted to highlight what i did after this last trip this summer of 2017.  my 120v compressor gave up.  

it was a jun-air 302 that i had got on ebay 5 years ago for 100 bucks.  my compressor is mounted in the generator blower bay on the side of the coach.  

so i looked on ebay.  i found a jun-air 322 that i got for 140 bucks shipped.  it was mounted on a frame and had an hour meter that has 0.2 hours on it.  if had obviously never been used.  you have to make sure that if you buy a used one that it is 120v and not 240v.  

it is a slightly higher amperage by about 2 amps.   6.6 on 302 to 8.8 or so on this one.  so a little bigger motor, but the compressor as a whole is exactly the same size.  

when i got it, it was plumbed and set up as two separate compressors.  these are two piston units.   one side was low pressure and the other side was high pressure.  and it was wired strangely as well inside the motor.  

i contacted jun-air technical support and they sent me how to re-wire the unit internally.  no way to guess because there is an internal wiring block with alot of wire on it and you dont know where they go behind the block.  so i took a few wires out and moved a few others and walla, it turned on.  the of302 i had has a tube that is on top of the unit that connects the two cylinders to make it operate as a single unit.  so, i made mine a two stage compressor by taking the output of the low side and inputing it into the air intake of the high side, and then taking the output of the high side to the coach.  

i installed it today to test it and it works great.  i think it builds pressure faster than the other one.   i had the small high temp air hose made at a parker store to link the two cylinders together.  you need to use teflon stainless braided for that because the air gets hot.  

i have to do the finish install to pretty it up, but will get around to that later.  

these compressors sell for nearly a grand, so it is nice to find good deals on them once in a while.  

tom

RE: 120v air compressor replacement - Chester Stone - 07-15-2017

Tom, a few years ago I also purchased a two stage 322 on eBay and have kept it hoping it could be used as a spare. But I realize I do not know how to hook it up. If you have the instructions written up, I would love to have a copy. Same for any photos. My compressor is located in the generator bay.

RE: 120v air compressor replacement - Chester Stone - 07-16-2017

Tom, don't go to any extra work here since I am probably the only other Guru that has the 322. Plus I carry a California Air as a spare since I could not figure out the wiring for the 322.

RE: 120v air compressor replacement - encantotom - 07-16-2017

you will just have to come to my house and let me rewire it for you.....

tom

RE: 120v air compressor replacement - HoosierDaddy - 07-16-2017

I bought a Campbell hausfield 6 gallon pancake compressor for my back up. It is quiet compared to other pancake types

RE: 120v air compressor replacement - Chester Stone - 07-16-2017

Tom, how can I resist such a great offer. Be back in your area in late September.

RE: 120v air compressor replacement - encantotom - 07-16-2017

Dean. In my case it is not a backup. It powers the air doors including entry and toilets.

Tom

RE: 120v air compressor replacement - cfree3 - 11-29-2017

What pressure is required for a replacement compressor?

RE: 120v air compressor replacement - Deper10 - 11-30-2017

My 120v compressor is a Thomas model 2688TE44/38 and while it runs smoothly, it is not producing any air pressure. I found new one on line for around $580
but want to know if it would be better to have it rebuilt, replace with a different brand or just buy new. 
Thanks

Dario Perini
#581   2001 45'

RE: 120v air compressor replacement - ron skeen - 11-30-2017

(11-30-2017, 06:40 AM)Deper10 Wrote:  My 120v compressor is a Thomas model 2688TE44/38 and while it runs smoothly, it is not producing any air pressure. I found new one on line for around $580
but want to know if it would be better to have it rebuilt, replace with a different brand or just buy new. 
Thanks

Dario Perini
#581   2001 45'
I would definitely buy a new one. I tried the rebuild and what happen is the screws are rusty and broke off. Buy the new compressor is the way to go. I bought mine from CFP.