You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Voltage indicator lights - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Electrical (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: Voltage indicator lights (/showthread.php?tid=3673)

Pages: 1 2

Voltage indicator lights - bryguymi - 08-07-2017

Hello all? Looking for a little electrical help if possible. Here's my story:

There are four indicator lights that are all lit when plugged into 50 amp shoreline power. These lights are located above the drivers area. See pictures. One of these four lights was flickering on and off and then completely burned out. So as I was replacing it, like an idiot I did not cut the power to the coach. I disconnected the wires leading to the faulty indicator light fixture and as I was stripping said wires back to attach them to the new indicator lamp, I accidentally touched them both together with the wire stripper tool. There was a little spark and now only one of my indicator lights work, see picture. Also after this little flub, my leg-two voltage gauge does not work. I'm sure I have proper voltage, as my surge protector/EMS indicates that I do, and all electrical systems are working properly.  I replaced all four indicator lights with new ones, thinking that they were burned out and somehow linked to the voltage gauge above. But this has not fixed it. I've also checked the two fuses on the transfer switch box and those are both good. 

I'm not great with the written word, but I hope I expressed  my situation  well enough for y'all to understand and possibly give some advice. Thank you much and advance!

RE: Voltage indicator lights - ashley - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 02:48 PM)bryguymi Wrote:  Hello all? Looking for a little electrical help if possible. Here's my story:

There are four indicator lights that are all lit when plugged into 50 amp shoreline power. These lights are located above the drivers area. See pictures. One of these four lights was flickering on and off and then completely burned out. So as I was replacing it, like an idiot I did not cut the power to the coach. I disconnected the wires leading to the faulty indicator light fixture and as I was stripping said wires back to attach them to the new indicator lamp, I accidentally touched them both together with the wire stripper tool. There was a little spark and now only one of my indicator lights work, see picture. Also after this little flub, my leg-two voltage gauge does not work. I'm sure I have proper voltage, as my surge protector/EMS indicates that I do, and all electrical systems are working properly.  I replaced all four indicator lights with new ones, thinking that they were burned out and somehow linked to the voltage gauge above. But this has not fixed it. I've also checked the two fuses on the transfer switch box and those are both good. 

I'm not great with the written word, but I hope I expressed  my situation  well enough for y'all to understand and possibly give some advice. Thank you much and advance!

Mine has flickered for years, after reading your post i think i will let it flicker for ever

RE: Voltage indicator lights - bestgenman - 08-07-2017

Those indicators are neon rated at 125VAC, when they age the firing of the gas diminishes.  (there are wiser folks on here who can explain the physics better than I).  These lamps are fed from the fuses on the transfer switch, one lamp for each source (shore & generator).  But, only one leg of each source from the XFER.  I suspect the other leg is tied to your voltmeter.  I'm not completely clear on the wiring and am drawing conclusions based on your description.  As you say your voltmeter isn't working now so i suspect the fuse for the voltmeter is blown.  They are located inside the AC distribution panel and rated somewhere around 2 to 4 amps.  Not wise to use anything larger for either fuse.

I hope this helps.  I bet there is someone on the site who has thoroughly dissected the meter wiring and may provide a clearer picture.

RE: Voltage indicator lights - ron skeen - 08-07-2017

(08-07-2017, 03:51 PM)bestgenman Wrote:  Those indicators are neon rated at 125VAC, when they age the firing of the gas diminishes.  (there are wiser folks on here who can explain the physics better than I).  These lamps are fed from the fuses on the transfer switch, one lamp for each source (shore & generator).  But, only one leg of each source from the XFER.  I suspect the other leg is tied to your voltmeter.  I'm not completely clear on the wiring and am drawing conclusions based on your description.  As you say your voltmeter isn't working now so i suspect the fuse for the voltmeter is blown.  They are located inside the AC distribution panel and rated somewhere around 2 to 4 amps.  Not wise to use anything larger for either fuse.

I hope this helps.  I bet there is someone on the site who has thoroughly dissected the meter wiring and may provide a clearer picture.
I'm with Ashley because mine have alway flicker and everything works so I will leave mine alone also.

RE: Voltage indicator lights - Yachts - 08-07-2017

Mine flickered too and it was indicative of losing voltage.. but Gordon fixed it?

RE: Voltage indicator lights - bryguymi - 08-08-2017

(08-07-2017, 06:27 PM)ron skeen Wrote:  
(08-07-2017, 03:51 PM)bestgenman Wrote:  Those indicators are neon rated at 125VAC, when they age the firing of the gas diminishes.  (there are wiser folks on here who can explain the physics better than I).  These lamps are fed from the fuses on the transfer switch, one lamp for each source (shore & generator).  But, only one leg of each source from the XFER.  I suspect the other leg is tied to your voltmeter.  I'm not completely clear on the wiring and am drawing conclusions based on your description.  As you say your voltmeter isn't working now so i suspect the fuse for the voltmeter is blown.  They are located inside the AC distribution panel and rated somewhere around 2 to 4 amps.  Not wise to use anything larger for either fuse.

I'm with Ashley because mine have alway flicker and everything works so I will leave mine alone also.
Thank you Ron, that gives me some direction.  I'll let ya know.  Smile

Bryan

RE: Voltage indicator lights - bryguymi - 08-08-2017

THANK YOU for your advice, Gordon!  I did find the inline fuse hidden inside the AC distribution panel, a 3amp; replaced it with a new one and all is well again.  Smile

Bryan

RE: Voltage indicator lights - TGDianics - 08-10-2017

I don't have fuses. I have 2, 7.5 amp, press to reset, circuit breakers. They are on the automatic transfer switch. The breakers do not appear to be OEM. Should I be using 2 to 4 amp breakers?
12.5 Kw Kohler, 1988 coach

RE: Voltage indicator lights - HoosierDaddy - 12-05-2019

Has anyone found a source for these neon bulbs?

RE: Voltage indicator lights - Fulltiming - 12-05-2019

I found some that were matched other than not having the chrome rim at MarVac Electronics in Costa Mesa, CA about 10 years ago.