You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Green as grass, but eager to learn... - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Please introduce yourself (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+--- Thread: Green as grass, but eager to learn... (/showthread.php?tid=4110)

Pages: 1 2 3

Green as grass, but eager to learn... - BobALou - 03-22-2018

Hi, everybody...

I've been lurking for a bit, and decided to register, yesterday.  Never having owned a motorhome/coach or any other type of RV, I'm new to it ALL.  I have always loved to drive and have driven cross country several times, so the prospect of RV travel has been on my wish list for years.  My wife and I would be occasional users with maximum traveling periods of, perhaps, a month.  For example, we're Philadelphia sports fans, so the concept of following the Phillies on a road trip would be on our "hit" list.  If all goes according to plan, we hope to make a purchase in the next 12-18 months.

My initial search was focused on new or late model Tiffin & Newmar products, but a friend who is a former Newell owner suggested that I consider them.  When I told him that I wasn't in the Newell price range, he recommended buying an older unit due the build quality.  I hadn't thought of going in that direction, initially, so, I started digging, and that's what has led me to this site.  I've never actually seen in a Newell in person (Philadelphia doesn't seem to be a hot bed for them!), and I've only walked through a handful of rigs of any make, so, hence, the "green as grass" subject line.  Frankly, we do still have to decide whether we want 45 feet of motorhome...plus toad...but that's part of the process, I guess.  Driving something of that size doesn't really concern me, but I do have concerns about "fitting" where we might want to go.  If we do end up in the Newell camp, it looks like our price point will put us in the 2004-2006ish range, and I see that spans a couple "generations"...don't know the significance of that, but I'm sure I'll learn.  :Smile  (Note:  I do know that Tiffin/Newmar & Newell are totally different animals, so don't mean to imply otherwise.)

Sorry for the long introduction, but figured that a little bit of our backstory couldn't hurt.  Glad to be here...

RE: Green as grass, but eager to learn... - Fulltiming - 03-22-2018

Welcome Robert. 2004 was a transition year with #679-696 (except #671, 681 and 685) being fixed tag axle coaches, sharing the same suspension as those of the earlier years, and 671, 681, 685, and 697 on having the ZF suspension with the active tag axle steering. #716 was the last 2004 Newell. 2005 saw another major change with #722 being the first 2000i model with the side and rear having the taller appearance found in Newells that followed. #752 was the last 2005 model. A few of the 2005 models had the Cat engine instead of the Detroit Diesel Series 60 found in most Newells since 1995 (yes, there were a few 1994's with Series 60's also). 2006 began with #753 and-775 being 2000i models and #776 on being P2000i models which added the Porsche Design front cap. After #763, virtually all had the Cat C-15 and most having the ZF transmission.

During the 2004-2006 range there was quite the mixture of mid-baths, rear baths and rear bath with a mid-half bath. All had the Valid electric slides, full disc brakes with all channel ABS and to the best of my knowledge, all had the Bode Air Entrance Door. Mid-entries were more common in 2004 with a more equal distribution between mid and front entry by 2005. A few 2 slide coaches were made during this time but most were either 3 or four slides. Most were side mounted beds with some center island beds and some bunk bed models with a side mounted queen bed in the bedroom.
Most during that time period were 45'8" long with only 2-3 per year shorter than that and a somewhat greater number up to 47' 0" long.

Let us know what specific questions you have and we will try to respond.

RE: Green as grass, but eager to learn... - BobALou - 03-22-2018

Thank you, very much, for the welcome and all of the information, Michael. I had visited your NewellOwner.com site, and that's where I noticed the various generations spanning the years mentioned. I didn't realize that the steerable tag was introduced during that time, so that's good to know as it's a feature that may be high on my wish list. I'm sure that I'll have specific questions as I move forward, but, for the moment, I'm striving to get a feel for realistic expectations in terms of maintenance expense, reliability, and such when purchasing a coach that's 12-14 years old. In other words, should I plan to set aside 10% of purchase price as an allowance for things that may arise? I realize that so much depends on the extent of prior owner maintenance, but I'd love to have a feel for where the bell curve may fall in this regard.

RE: Green as grass, but eager to learn... - encantotom - 03-22-2018

the first thing i recommend is to go somewhere and actually spend some time inside one. a couple in az joined last week and have gone through the same thing you have mentioned. started looking with fairly new coach other than a newell and now looking at 12-15 year old newells. i invited them to my place and they came earlier this week and spent the afternoon sitting in my coach, looking around it, and visiting about newells.

tom

RE: Green as grass, but eager to learn... - HoosierDaddy - 03-23-2018

Welcome Robert, My Newell is older but you are welcome to stop in and look and talk when you are in my area.
Dean
kimmellhouseinn.com

RE: Green as grass, but eager to learn... - 77newell - 03-23-2018

Welcome Robert. Tom's advice is golden. Spending time is the only way I know to really get to know the difference. The difference is substantial but only superficially obvious.

RE: Green as grass, but eager to learn... - Richard - 03-23-2018

I think a question that only you can answer is this. Are you mechanically and electrically inclined? And are you willing to spend some time and money maintaining a motorhome?

In my opinion, one should set aside 20k on top of the purchase on ANY older motorhome. You will likely need tires and batteries. That is 10k.

If you do enough research you will learn that motorhomes of any brand are not Hondas, they require attention. After all, its a very sophisticated chassis with a home built on it, that is subjected to an earthquake everytime you drive it. I am not trying to burst your bubble, just interjecting with the reality of the situation. There are many before you on this forum who have tried in their preliminary research to quantify the cost of potential repairs. The answer is ALWAYS it depends. Well maintained units that have consistent use will likely have less issues than low mileage units with infrequent use or that have been sitting for an extended period.

RE: Green as grass, but eager to learn... - BobALou - 03-23-2018

Thanks for the welcome, input and thoughts, Tom, Dean, Jon, and Richard! Spending time in and around the coaches is exactly what I want to do, but ﹰI'm hoping to find someone who is (relatively) close to me. I have actually thought about making a trip to a dealer such as Motorhomes of Texas as they seem to have a constant Newell inventory, but didn't feel that going to a dealer was the best way to learn the ins and outs...not to mention that I feel as though I'm wasting their time at this point. Any input on this idea would be welcomed.

I'll definitely keep some powder dry for the unexpected things that could come up... just didn't have a sense of whether it should be $10k or $50k! To Richard's question pertaining to my mechanical aptitude, I'm handy around the house and willing to take on projects (kitchens, baths, water heater), but I'm more of an outsourcer on the automotive side. Frankly, I'd anticipate being more of an outsourcer on a coach.

RE: Green as grass, but eager to learn... - mrtoots - 03-27-2018

(03-23-2018, 07:40 AM)Richard Wrote:  I think a question that only you can answer is this. Are you mechanically and electrically inclined? And are you willing to spend some time and money maintaining a motorhome?

In my opinion, one should set aside 20k on top of the purchase on ANY older motorhome. You will likely need tires and batteries. That is 10k.

If you do enough research you will learn that motorhomes of any brand are not Hondas, they require attention. After all, its a very sophisticated chassis with a home built on it, that is subjected to an earthquake everytime you drive it. I am not trying to burst your bubble, just interjecting with the reality of the situation. There are many before you on this forum who have tried in their preliminary research to quantify the cost of potential repairs. The answer is ALWAYS it depends. Well maintained units that have consistent use will likely have less issues than low mileage units with infrequent use or that have been sitting for an extended period.

RE: Green as grass, but eager to learn... - mrtoots - 03-27-2018

Robert,

I share your desire to find someplace close to home to be able to see the Newells up close and personal, but other than combing the myriad of online sites hoping to find one near you, there isn't any magic bullet for that. However, if you are considering getting on a plane to accomplish your goal, I would add PremiumCoachGroup.com as an alternative to Motor Homes of Texas. They have two locations in AZ, one in Phoenix and one in Gilbert; less than a half hour apart. They have more Newell inventory and are very willing to help. Our visit there recently changed our whole approach to finding a coach for full timing, and after spending some time with Tom and his '02, we feel much better about our search. Just some food for thought.

Bob