You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Tag dragging to easy - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Suspension/Tires/Wheels (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Tag dragging to easy (/showthread.php?tid=4111)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Tag dragging to easy - Brad Townsend - 03-23-2018

So now that I have my air leaks under control and my furnaces working I am focusing on my tag brakes.
The issue is that they lock up to easily leaving 6 inch flats on them every time but they do smoothen out over time but by then I usually get more flats from hard stops. So I took the coach in and had them backed off supposedly further than usual setting but after I tested the brakes and the drivers side tag wheel locked up. Before both side locked together. So I figured maybe the mechanic's wrench slipped and his settings were not a match. Frustrated and not knowing much about these brakes I went to you tube and learned as much as I could. So seeing how easy it is to adjust I readjusted them myself to recommended settings which is touch the shoes to the drum and back off 1/2 turn, at least I know they are both at the same setting. Checking travel distance for the push rod which is called to be less than 2 inches I show 1.5 inches so they are in spec. I have not tested them yet and don't plan on it till we leave to go back east probably within in a couple weeks. I know some of these same length coaches were made without tags, whay couldn't the brakes be taken out of use? My issue in trying to solve this over the years has been other mechanics checking the adjustments, adding more pressure to the tag but nothing has worked and tires are not cheap. I am told even If the brakes are backed way off being auto slack adjusters they will go back to where they should be so that does not seem to be the answer. Some say to Cage the brakes, some say to disconnect and plug the air lines. 
Would the DOT have an issue with disconnecting the brakes?

RE: Tag dragging to easy - Richard - 03-23-2018

Oh my!

Imagine what an attorney would do to your finances, if you have an accident.

I would take a good look at my drive brakes. If they are not working as hard as the tags, it could explain why you are locking the tags.

Also confirm that the slide pins in the tag calipers are not frozen.

RE: Tag dragging to easy - HoosierDaddy - 03-23-2018

(03-23-2018, 07:45 AM)Richard Wrote:  Oh my!

Imagine what an attorney would do to your finances, if you have an accident.

I would take a good look at my drive brakes. If they are not working as hard as the tags, it could explain why you are locking the tags.

Also confirm that the slide pins in the tag calipers are not frozen.

Richard, Would that coach (1988) have slide pins?

RE: Tag dragging to easy - Richard - 03-23-2018

I don't know if Brad's tag brakes are drum or disc. If disc then slide pins. If drum, then no slide pins.

The other thing that occurred to me, looking at Brad's picture, was the weight of the trailer.

Is it possible the trailer is pushing the rear of the coach up when you apply the brakes? Taking weight off the tag?

RE: Tag dragging to easy - Chester Stone - 03-23-2018

This is a problem on #579 because the drive has ABS, but not the tags. Twice emergency stops have resulted in flattened tag tires.

RE: Tag dragging to easy - Brad Townsend - 03-24-2018

I have drum brakes. I also thought about the trailer with the weight distribution hitch so pulled it off and still happens but it also happens without the trailer plus I have added more pressure to the tag axle. I think I am around 30 lbs. Newell started me out with 11lbs years ago. The trailer tongue weighs 1000 lbs.  I have had a number of mechanics over the years check and readjust the brakes, each saying the were fine but readjusted just the same. I personally have not adjusted the drive brakes but having automatic slack adjusters wouldn't they be taken care of themselves? So if the settings were touch the drum with the pads then back off 1/2 turn, if I only back off 1/4 turn on the drive brakes would it make that much of a difference or if the tag was backed off 3/4 of a turn.

The trailer also has electric brakes so I don't think it would influence the weight on braking. Last May I put heavier axles with larger drums and wheels on the trailer and beefed up the frame because i had a small crack in the frame and found I was 800 lbs overweight. So 2- new 6500 lbs Dexter Torque Flex axles and heavier tires. Old axles were 5k each. Amazing how we collect stuff. Time before when I weighed the coach I was right at 10K. Currently I have taken some weight out so I should be much better now with the extra 3k capacity.

RE: Tag dragging to easy - ccjohnson - 03-24-2018

Is it possible that tag axle is carrying too much weight? Try getting drive & tag axles weighed independently and adjust air pressure regulator for tag air bags to get proper weight on the axle. Another thing to look for is grease or dirt on the shoes from a bad wheel seal. Also, to my thinking push rod travel distance and slack adjusters should be pretty close to the same on all wheels.

RE: Tag dragging to easy - kyleb - 03-24-2018

I have a '87 with a tag axle & I haven't noticed the tag skidding except during extreme panic stops -- I try to avoid those Tongue  

Tires skid then the brake torque exceeds the tires friction with the pavement. Increasing the tag bag pressure will increase the friction & reduce skidding.
Have you checked the steer axle brakes ?  Maybe the reason the tags are skidding is because the steer & drive axle brakes aren't working as well as they should be.

Maybe there is a better brake pad for the drive & steer . . .

RE: Tag dragging to easy - Brad Townsend - 03-24-2018

All brakes have been checked and adjusted by a hand full of diesel mechanics including Newell.
And I don't think it is to much weight because it happens without the trailer.

RE: Tag dragging to easy - HoosierDaddy - 03-24-2018

Brad, I know this is a "long shot" but is it possible that there is a foreign object or lubricant on the shoe surface that might cause a bind?