You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Boondockable? - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Fun Stuff (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Big Rig Friendly places to go (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Boondockable? (/showthread.php?tid=4128)

Pages: 1 2 3

Boondockable? - BobALou - 04-04-2018

Not sure if this is the right spot for this question, but I felt it was related to the category. As a newbie contemplating a coach purchase, I'm curious how realistic it is for rigs the size (and weight!!) of Newells to boondock and manage off the beaten path locations. I wouldn't be looking to do this as a primary activity, but, on occasion, I'd love to find a remote spot to be one with nature. I've read other sites about big rig boondocking, but I didn't find much talk in regard to Newell.

RE: Boondockable? - encantotom - 04-04-2018

there are certainly others that have boondocked more than me. that said, there is boondocking on paved areas or sold surfaces and then as you put it, remote areas. i am cautious to the point of not doing it when it comes to going off the beaten path. these rigs are upwards of 50,000lbs and have very low clearance compared to almost all other coaches.

so there are a couple of aspects.

1. can you physically get in and out and not get stuck or drag or hit anything. you dont see alot of semi's going off road. our rigs are BIG. like really big and heavy. if i remember right, the road service towing plans say something about if they cover when you are in the boondocks off the beaten path.

2. power management. from 95 or so on, the coaches are all electric. so you will be running the generator frequently during the time you are not hooked up to power or driving

others will have more comments i am sure

tom

RE: Boondockable? - valento - 04-04-2018

As Tom has pointed out you really have to be careful where you boondock.  My coach weighs in at just under 59,000 pounds and you really need to stay on hard pack or you will definitely start to sink.  We have some forum members that have or are currently installing lithium battery packs with solar so they can camp off the grid.  They might chime in and give you some ideas of where they boondock.

I have not done much boondocking with my coach but when I have it has been on no less than hardback gravel.  With my lifeline batteries I can go through the night without the generator kicking on.  I do have to run the generator to use my cooktop which is 220 volt so while I am cooking breakfast I am recharging the battery bank.  I do not boondock when I have to run AC for the generator would have to be running all the time so you are not able to commune with nature being closed up with AC and genset running...

RE: Boondockable? - kyleb - 04-04-2018

Can you describe your idea of boondocking?

How long do you want to be away from the power pole?
How many in your party?
Hot climate, cold, mild . . .

I feel my '87 is well suited for the kind of things we use it for. We like taking impulse trips & over nighting at rest stops or Cracker Barrel.
Weighs 37,000 #
The 2 of us can go over a week with the 125 gallons of fresh water. If we are careful, we can stretch it past 2 weeks.
49 gal of propane takes care of the cooking & heating.
Total of 300 gal of diesel will run the gen set for quite a while . . .

RE: Boondockable? - ccjohnson - 04-04-2018

The closest we have been to boondocking is at Quartzite on hard sand /gravel dry surface for 9 days. Ran generator most of the day shut it off from 10 pm to 7 am. I don't mind the noise and very much enjoy the AC. Usually boondocking for us is rest area or truckstop for overnight rest. I am VERY dubious about getting the coach off pavement or hard surface. Have heard stories about others getting stuck in mud & having windshields pop out from coach being twisted while getting towed/pulled out.

RE: Boondockable? - BobALou - 04-04-2018

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I realize that power management is a major issue unto itself, but the physical challenges of the coach in terms of weight, clearance, etc. were my main concerns at this point. I'm thinking it'd be something the two of us would do for 2-3 days...just a potential change of pace at times of year where heat/AC aren't needed. We wouldn't be hard core by any means...my wife likes her showers too much (as do I!).

So, in terms of clearance, should I expect a Newell to be different (to any significant degree) from a similar length Tiffin or Newmar? I use those brands because I've read some blog posts by those owners who camp in some interesting locations...always driving their toad into the site to confirm accessibility/ground conditions. I see that current Newell GVWR is 63,000lb range while 45ft Tiffin/Newmar are 51,000/54,000. So, I guess my question really boils down to: If a site accommodates a 45ft Tiffin/Newmar, is it unreasonable to think it could handle a Newell?

RE: Boondockable? - HoosierDaddy - 04-04-2018

Robert, The distance between the front and rear axles related to the distance from the under-side to the ground will determine how big of a hump" you can clear. Newells do not have an abundance of ground clearance. There is a limit to overall height on road vehicles and the more ground clearance you have the less space you have in the coach. Less ground clearance also creates a lower center of gravity which contributes to the superb road handling that Newells are known for. Some Newells with air suspension can be temporarily "raised" with the air bags but I would question the wisdom of going into someplace that would require that. Regarding the surface, I have driven my Newell over dry well established grass and firm soil many times. If the area is wet I will not venture onto it. I suppose GVW is a factor but whether it is 50,000 lbs. or 60,000 lbs. if your stuck it is going to get messy! Like kyleb said, It depends on the definition of boon docking. Generally the better a vehicle handles "off road" the less stable it will be "on road".

RE: Boondockable? - encantotom - 04-04-2018

my newell has a 2 1/2" receiver hitch for pulling a stacker. when at ride height, it is about 6 inches off the ground. the other low point is at mid coach where the aquahot/generator exhaust pipe is. it is 6-8 inches off the ground as well.

so my opinion is that yes, there is a substantial difference between a newell and a tiffin or newmar for ground clearance. in the 20 year and up year old coaches, the newells are quite a large ceiling height. so you couple that with a humongo series 60 engine and that there is a bathroom or closet with a 6 inch step up and the floor is basically resting on the valve cover of the series 60, you have a low rear ground clearance.

my two cents worth

tom

RE: Boondockable? - rheavn - 04-05-2018

I boondock at NASCAR races for a week at a time regularly, during spring, summer & fall. Normally park on grass. Inverter provides most of power needs & genset used for 220V items, A/Cs and battery recharge. Hot showers every day. Stay warm in spring and fall. Stay cool in summer. I park next to many Tiffins, Newmars and other brands. I find the 13,3" height more restrictive than the length.

Good Luck................................

RE: Boondockable? - Richard - 04-05-2018

I concur with what many have said. Boonie without hookups for over a week with no problem, but any moderate off roading is out of the question because of clearance hieght.