You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Gauge Identifier lights - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Electrical (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: Gauge Identifier lights (/showthread.php?tid=4252)

Gauge Identifier lights - medcrest - 05-25-2018

The Newell dash was designed for someone with the eyes of a young eagle and the arms of an orangutan.  I can't identify the switches on the switch panel without getting down on my hands and knees and peering through my bifocals.  What I need to know is whether or not the identification labels on the dash gauges are lit.  Going down the road, I have a hard time deciding what gauge is what since I have to run the generator to run the house air to make the machine almost cool enough to ride in.  I can see identification on the dash near the gauge if I make the steering column as compact as possible at a full stop.  I can then get close enough to see what's what.  Short of using a Dymo labeller, anybody have any suggestions.  I already have my battery select switch marked with glow tape and my tank dump switch taped over.

I don't want to tear into the dash without some reasonable expectation of success.

[And as an aside, is there any good reason for there to be a dump switch on the dash? The one on the house panel and the one in the basement would seem to be enough. Is it just there to see who's unlucky enough to hit it while feeling for some other switch?]

RE: Gauge Identifier lights - Richard - 05-25-2018

Paul that dump switch on the dash is for the dump valve on the passenger side of
The coach. I leave the rest to your imagination.

RE: Gauge Identifier lights - HoosierDaddy - 05-25-2018

On my ‘93 there are post lights that shine onto strategic areas of the panels. All switches for driving except windshield wipers are on the small panel beside driver seat. (Lights,cruise control,transmission shift, Jake brake) The dump valve, override switch, diff lock are along the bottom of the panel in front of driver.
If you are confusing switches in proximity you might change one of them to a different type switch that feels different to the touch. If u need larger more visible labeling I would suggest a shop that can engrave laminate. A trophy shop should be able to do it.

Also, you could backlight the generator gauges with a different color or apply an opaque film of a different color over a portion of the gauge window.

RE: Gauge Identifier lights - Richard - 05-26-2018

Those ID labels are lit. Since your coach is close to mine in vintage, I’ll guess it is the same on this item. Newell used a flexible neon tape behind the laminate. The dimmer switch for mine is located on the back of the console at my left arm. The neon band is powered by a transformer that is under that console. It’s about three inches by 1.5 by 1.5. They are notorious for two things. Failing and squeeling like a mosquito on speed.

RE: Gauge Identifier lights - 3Rs - 05-26-2018

Paul, 

Richard is correct.  There is a dimmer control  knob on the control panel to the left of the drivers seat. It is toward the back. 
I know when I owned the coach I had it set very low on propose.  Didn't want to burn out that ballast!

RE: Gauge Identifier lights - bikestuff - 05-26-2018

Just for completeness....

On my coach, I have lots of switches to the right of the drivers seat. They are labelled and backlit as described. However....the switches above the driver seat never lit up. I figured that the ballast was blown. Nope.

On my coach the panel above the driver NEVER had any backlight tape installed. I was shocked! Newell was able to install a new type of backlight panel (some sort of electro-luminescent panel) and now my panel lights up. The new backlight technology is not cheap, but does not howl if you turn it up.

bill

RE: Gauge Identifier lights - encantotom - 05-26-2018

mine is the same as bills was. the switches above the drivers seat dont light up.

and my air conditioning control panel is just inches off the floor in the center console making it almost impossible to adjust it while driving and staying on the road.....ha

tom