You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Possible issues from sitting? - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Repair Maintain and Inspect (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General Repair (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Possible issues from sitting? (/showthread.php?tid=4395)

Possible issues from sitting? - D.Troit - 07-26-2018

I'm contemplating buying one of a couple of mid 80s coaches that have been sitting for a couple of years.
Basic and regular maintenance is said to have been preformed on both, as well as regular engine starting, but neither has been out on the road for a good while.
Besides the usual suspects (fluids, filters, belts, hoses, tires, and batteries)  what other chassis items might need attention after a long period of non-use?  Does/can  non use cause any of the components to degrade any faster than regular use? 
Knowing what to look for might eliminate at least a few surprises. I'm sure there will be plenty of those even with the best info and inspection.
Thanks for any insight.

RE: Possible issues from sitting? - folivier - 07-26-2018

Water pump, faucet gaskets, toilet gasket, air conditioner, windows stuck, etc.

RE: Possible issues from sitting? - Richard - 07-26-2018

Air bags

RE: Possible issues from sitting? - hexspeed - 07-26-2018

Electrical, if you see evidence of rodent nesting - they love to chew on insulation.

Jim

RE: Possible issues from sitting? - D.Troit - 07-26-2018

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.
The plumbing should be easy enough to check out. Evidence of rodents would be worrisome.
What is the expected service life of the airbags? Do they have date codes like tires? If they look good, are they?
What about the brake components and wheel bearings? Are they OK just sitting for long periods?
The house systems I can deal with. At 30+ years, there's going to be repairs needed. Having owned several older RVs, I know there's always something.
All the chassis systems are my biggest concern here. This would be my first real bus.

RE: Possible issues from sitting? - Richard - 07-26-2018

As far as the airbags there may be a date code but the tag is under the mounting plate. By the time you remove the bag might as well replace Look for checking and spray with soapy water to look for leaks

RE: Possible issues from sitting? - kyleb - 07-26-2018

I just replaced all of my airbags - I am glad I did. You can not tell when one is gonna blow just by looking at the surface.

I replaced the ride height valves and shocks while I was at it.

(I also added the mounts to have 4 shocks on the front axle -- HUGE improvement in road manners)

The reason I replaced the air bags is because I am still working & vacation time is too scarce to spend working on the coach. Big Grin

RE: Possible issues from sitting? - Guy - 07-26-2018

I have been looking at the cab heat and power steering hoses. 80 feet of each.... well maybe I will put it off a while longer

Guy

RE: Possible issues from sitting? - Tf175 - 07-27-2018

After 9 months of classic Newell ownership and 2700 miles ( 2k pulling heavily loaded 28ft trailer) I am still a novice , but I have learned a few things .
 This is a Great site . Knowledgeable folks , positive attitudes , very helpful.
The Newell is a well built piece of music .
If you drive a Newell , you will want it . If you drive under an overpass or similar sound reflecting object with window open , get ready to write the check.
Any vehicle that has seen 30 plus birthdays either has a zillion miles or has sat for a good bit of it's life . Apart from maintenance , regular starting , etc , environment where the downtime occurs is important factor . This has been stated elsewhere on this site and is very true . There is a lot of steel box tubing , etc incorporated in the framework for the coach and should be looked at . Storage in a building huge plus.
I have found the wiring and plumbing to be in remarkably good shape in our '86 , mostly had to replace lights, etc. I did replace shower valve which had small leak , and water pumps which were missing when I bought the coach .
Welcome and good luck !
Chris