You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
How to change out Oil Pressure gage - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Emergency Coach Help Needed (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Forum: Help, I need help ASAP (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: How to change out Oil Pressure gage (/showthread.php?tid=4426)

How to change out Oil Pressure gage - CDButsch - 08-11-2018

Hi Guru's

I need information on how to change out the oil pressure gauge  on my 1998 Newell Coach.

It pegs out when key is turned on and engine not running.

I disconnected the gauge from the sending unit and turned on the key again and the oil pressure gauge still pegged out. So it's not the sending unit.

I may be assuming incorrectly but I think it is the gauge.

Any suggestions and can one buy one other than from Newell.

Cool

RE: How to change out Oil Pressure gage - encantotom - 08-11-2018

nothing special about oil pressure gauges. yours is probably a VDO. i would just take the one out you have and get the part number off the back of it.

tom

RE: How to change out Oil Pressure gage - Richard - 08-11-2018

Pay attention to both the style and the full range on the original guage when you order one. You want the range to be the same so it plays well with your oil pressure sender on the engine.

RE: How to change out Oil Pressure gage - CDButsch - 08-11-2018

Thanks Amigo's

My question is how does one go about changing the gauge out.

Does the cover screw off the front are bolts in back hold it on etc.

Is their a video I can go to that will show me?

Thanks

RE: How to change out Oil Pressure gage - Fulltiming - 08-11-2018

They are all attached/removed from the inside of the dash. The older gauges had a U shaped bracket held onto the gauge by a couple of thumb screws. Some of the newer gauges use a threaded housing which screws onto the gauge from the rear. Open up the dash, note where the wires go (it is easy to forget). Remove the rear housing or screws and bracket, and slide the gauge out the face of the dash. Place the new gauge in from the dash face side, slide the wires through the hole in the rear of the housing, attach the wires to the correct locations, thread the housing down tight, reattach the dash. Easy to say but space is limited and the number of wires inside the dash can be overwhelming if you haven't looked inside before. Most oil pressure gauges have 4 wires, a power lead, a signal lead, a ground and a wire from the light switch to illuminate the gauge when the coach parking/headlights are turning on.

RE: How to change out Oil Pressure gage - Guy - 08-11-2018

Does it read out to what you would consider a normal pressure when the engine is running, or just stay "pegged out" .

Don't rule out a grounding issue before you start changing parts.

I don't know your dash design as our coach is an 84. On this model it is much easier to go up around the steering column, loosen the gauges and leave the dash in tact,
Good luck with you project

Guy

RE: How to change out Oil Pressure gage - rheavn - 08-11-2018

Access the gauge through the top of the dash which gives you access to the rear of the gauges. Top dash piece is held on with christmas tree style clips that pull straight up to remove, plus there are 2 or 3 on the front of the dash.

RE: How to change out Oil Pressure gage - CDButsch - 08-11-2018

Hi

Guage just lets out the moment key is turned on.  As I stated before i removed the wire connection from the oil pressure sensor on engine and the guage still pegs out so I feel it's not the engine sensor.  

I'm reading 6 volts on wire from sensor even when not hooked up.   

I have verified good ground connection.

My next issue is fuel guage. Works and don't works. Reads all over the place.

Thanks for input thus far.

RE: How to change out Oil Pressure gage - Fulltiming - 08-12-2018

Most sensors work on the basis of change in resistance rather than voltage.

RE: How to change out Oil Pressure gage - PHeff - 08-12-2018

First question I will ask is are you sure you unplugged the oil sensor. The reason I ask is because it is a bear to get to. Located on drivers side about the middle of the engine.
Next, have you checked for the sensor wire to be grounded making the gauge read high. The oil pressure wiring junctions at the panel on the back wall inside the p/s engine door. Use a meter or test light and test for a grounded wire. The wiring should be labeled for the oil sender. I think it is the #1 wiring. See what wires are the same color as the wiring you unplugged.
As far as the guage goes, you should be able to remove it by reaching under the dash and unscrewing the back side of the gauge. Gauge will lift out with wires intact. 10 minute job.
Bottom line is if gauge is grounded, it will peg out. If wiring to sender is not gounded, you need a gauge.