You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
hwh slide seal air system - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Slides (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=55)
+--- Thread: hwh slide seal air system (/showthread.php?tid=4475)

Pages: 1 2

hwh slide seal air system - encantotom - 09-06-2018

i am trying to find out if my rear slide seal has a small leak or there is other reasons it goes down in 24 hours if there is no air source for the coach.  

attached is a picture of the regulator and valves/solenoid that puts air to my rear drivers side slide seal.

so...here is how it works.  

the incoming air comes into the top which is the right side in the picture.  it then passes through a 1/4" shutoff valve.  then it goes into the regulator where it goes from supply pressure (100psi or more) down to 20psi for the slide seal.   then out the bottom of the regulator into a check valve.  the check valve passes air to the solenoid, but is supposed to stop air from flowing back.  i will explain why later.  

from the check valve it goes into the top of the 12v dc solenoid valve.  it is normally open.  with no voltage on it, it passes air through to the air seal on the slide.  and stops air from flowing out the port that evacuated air from the slide when the slide room key is turned on.  when that key is turned, it puts 12v on the solenoid, that closes the incoming air from the supply side and allows the air in slide seal to escape to deflate the seal when you are putting the slide in or out.  (on that port i put a 12v vacuum pump to get all the air out.  

the air going to the slide seal goes out on the bottom of the solenoid on the fitting that is pointed upward.  

so....there is always air being put to the slide seal if there are compressors or shop air on.  the check valve is supposed to stop the air from escaping the seal if the supply air goes to below the 20psi of the slide seal.  

i used an air test jig and am putting air directly to the seal with gauges and valves to remove the entire regulator system.  

i tested each component of the regulator system.  i found the 1/4" shutoff valve was leaking alot either on or off.  i used kids bubble solution full strengh i get at the dollar store.  blows nice bubbles.  

i also test the check valve both ways.  passes air fine.  but in reverse it did leak a little.  i will replace it

so i will rebuild the setup with some new parts and see how it works.  hopefully tomorrow i will still have air in the slide seal....ha

tom

RE: hwh slide seal air system - encantotom - 09-06-2018

for some reason my front slide seal has not shutoff valve like the rear one does. not sure why it needs one.

tom

RE: hwh slide seal air system - Richard - 09-07-2018

Because if you blow a seal the aux compressor won’t fry trying to keep up. You can isolate the blown seal.

RE: hwh slide seal air system - encantotom - 09-07-2018

odd the front one doesnt have one. unless it is somewhere else and not at the manifold

tom

RE: hwh slide seal air system - Richard - 09-07-2018

Someone could have removed it because it was leaking..........

RE: hwh slide seal air system - encantotom - 09-08-2018

i have been testing each segment of the lines. including a static test of my test jig to make sure it wasnt leaking

there was a funky plastic adapter going from the rubber hose coming out of the slide seal in the rear wheelwell. so i took it out, made my own, shoved it in the hose about 3 inches and used 3 hose clamps on it. now i just put my test jig directly on it and aired it up. it does take over nite to go down so will see what it looks like late tonite.

the end of the rubber hose had cracks and such in it so i cut it off about 2 inches to get good fresh rubber and put my new adapter in there.

i dont know how long this leak has been there because i always keep air on the coach. for the last 6 or so i have had it i have always had air on it. since it is such a slow leak, i am sure my 12v compressor could easily keep up with it.

tom

RE: hwh slide seal air system - MARKGMC3 - 09-09-2018

(09-08-2018, 12:40 PM)encantotom Wrote:  i have been testing each segment of the lines.  including a static test of my test jig to make sure it wasnt leaking

there was a funky plastic adapter going from the rubber hose coming out of the slide seal in the rear wheelwell.  so i took it out, made my own, shoved it in the hose about 3 inches and used 3 hose clamps on it.  now i just put my test jig directly on it and aired it up.  it does take over nite to go down so will see what it looks like late tonite.  

the end of the rubber hose had cracks and such in it so i cut it off about 2 inches to get good fresh rubber and put my new adapter in there.  

i dont know how long this leak has been there because i always keep air on the coach.  for the last 6 or so i have had it i have always had air on it.  since it is such a slow leak, i am sure my 12v compressor could easily keep up with it.  

tom

THIS MAY HELP

RE: hwh slide seal air system - encantotom - 09-09-2018

mark, nice to see this in a schematic. i have all that figured out. but....mine were set at 20lbs. this shows 10lbs. is this for our vintage of coach or the newer ones or does it matter?

thanks

tom

RE: hwh slide seal air system - pairodice - 09-09-2018

I’m about to have to dive into my air systems as it looks like something maybe messed up my leveling valves in our little mishap yesterday. What is the best way to test that the system is not leaking down excessively? We have always used the 110V compressor or engine compressor when the engine is running to keep everything up and going. I don’t even know where the 12-volt compressor resides... I think someone told me before but I forgot... I’m at Foretravel so maybe they can help me find it and where the leaks are with a detector... I’ll add it to my ‘pre-crash’ systems check list :-)

RE: hwh slide seal air system - encantotom - 09-09-2018

the 12v compressor is most of the time in the compartment with the aquahot. it is small.

tom