You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Front Bags Losing Pressure - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Air Operated Systems and Leaks (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Front Bags Losing Pressure (/showthread.php?tid=4494)

Pages: 1 2 3

Front Bags Losing Pressure - David and Teresa - 09-17-2018

Well, another mystery (to me) with my air suspension. I just replaced the 110v air compressor which over heated due to running too long. I cranked the coach and filled the bags and checked around for air leaks. I found one on the passenger front air bag - a hole about the size if a pea. I ordered two bags from Newell and found a replacement air compressor. I had both front bags replaced and put the new compressor in. Checked everything and couldn't find air leaks anywhere. The pressure holds for about 5 hours before the compressor comes on which is way better than I remember.

So, with everything buttoned up, I cranked the coach, raised the coach to take out the jack stands, leveled off and shut down, expecting everything to be fixed. The next morning I come out and the front of the coach is on the ground. How can this be? The compressor is holding the pressure. The rear bags are holding, the front aren't?

RE: Front Bags Losing Pressure - Richard - 09-17-2018

So, start looking at things that changed with the air bag change. It could be the air bags, or it could be the connection with the air bags.

That connection is hard to see. I was just in there because I had a slow leak on one side in the front. Here is how I found it. Raised coach all the way, and put some support under the frame. I used kid's bubble solution cause it makes a good bubble with a slow leak. I soaked the fitting. Twice. Then I used a mechanics mirror and a flashlight to get a good look.

Were both sides down? Did you leave the coach in travel or level mode?
Remember all air bags are completely isolated with the key off and the coach in travel mode.

RE: Front Bags Losing Pressure - David and Teresa - 09-17-2018

The only thing that changed were the bags. Checked the connections carefully. Revealed bubbles, then tightened further until no bubbles. Both L & R front were down. What's a mystery to me is that the coach pressure is holding and yet the air bags deflated. I'll check tomorrow and make sure I was in level mode.

RE: Front Bags Losing Pressure - encantotom - 09-17-2018

if the coach pressure is holding and the compressor isnt running all the time, it may be that you are in LEVEL mode and the front was high so the hwh was leveling the front by letting air out. eventually it will settle the front all the way down if it was way too high off of level

just a thought.

the hwh will first let air out on the high side....then after a while it will use the 120v compressor to raise the low side. and go back and forth.

tom

RE: Front Bags Losing Pressure - bikestuff - 09-18-2018

It would make sense to me to level the coach at travel height. Then just turn key off with no auto-level engaged. That would isolate the bags and lines behind the six pack. If the front still leaks down...you definitely have a leak.

Height control valves are also a source of leaks. I think that they can fail to hold air at specific locations on the arm. So will hold air at some heights and loose air at other heights....but with the key off, it should not be leaking at all.

I agree with Tom they most likely source of a leak is the area you just worked on.

BE SURE TO CRIB THE COACH!

Finally, I (actually Richard) found that perfectly good bags (good rubber, no checking) can leak.

RE: Front Bags Losing Pressure - Richard - 09-18-2018

David at the risk of repeating what the other guys have said. A wee bit of understanding may help you figure this out.

All air going to the air bag travels through the HWH six pack solenoid valves.

If you are in travel mode, the air coming from the height control valve goes through the six pack travel solenoid and then to the air bag. That solenoid (pathway) is only open when the HWH panel is in travel and the key is on.

There are two level modes. One is manual and one is automatic. Say what? If you push the level button once, the system is in automatic level. It will respond to other button pushes from you on the HWH console. If you push the level button twice, the system goes into automatic mode and uses a level sensor in the middle of the coach. It will let air out or put air in the air bags to level the coach. It does this by opening either the lower or raise solenoids in the HWH six pack. Unless you turn the system off, once it is in AUTO it will wake up every thirty minutes and try to relevel the coach. Turning the ignition key off does not disable the AUTO level mode.

I don't use the autolevel mode because mine would occasionally lose it's mind, and pancake the front of the coach to the ground.

Key takeaways are that the airbags are completely isolated from the rest of the air system UNLESS one of the six pack solenoids are activated. Travel mode on and key on activate the travel solenoids. Level on and input from the panel activate the solenoids. Otherwise there is no intended air in or out of the bags. It does not matter if your compressor is running or not since the solenoids are closed.

I hope this helps.

So to test the leak properly, the coach should be off , and the leveling system should be OFF.

RE: Front Bags Losing Pressure - David and Teresa - 09-24-2018

Thanks everyone. Well it seams there is a leak causing the front to pancake. With the level on auto, it will keep the rear level with the front until the whole coach is on the ground. I can't seem to find where my front leaks are.

RE: Front Bags Losing Pressure - Richard - 09-25-2018

David

Put the coach in travel and let it come to ride height. Then just turn off the key. Putting the coach in autolevel adds a layer of confusion to finding the leak.

Left in travel mode, what happens? Does the front settle evenly? Or does one side settle faster
Than the other. Taking measurements with a tape measure will help. Its hard to just eyeball and see the difference

RE: Front Bags Losing Pressure - David and Teresa - 09-25-2018

(09-25-2018, 03:34 AM)Richard Wrote:  David

Put the coach in travel and let it come to ride height. Then just turn off the key.  Putting the coach in autolevel adds a layer of confusion to finding the leak.

Left in travel mode, what happens? Does the front settle evenly? Or does one side settle faster
Than the other. Taking measurements with a tape measure will help. Its hard to just eyeball and see the difference

Richard,

I did what you suggested. I cranked and put in travel mode and when the coach was ready, I shut down. The front of the coach settled evenly, about 1.25" per hour. I couldn't hear any air escaping. What, or where, would cause me to loose air in the front. The rear held fine.

RE: Front Bags Losing Pressure - Richard - 09-26-2018

Thanks!

Leaks in connection with air bags
Leak in air bag tanks
Leak at six pack. (Most likely given both sides leaking equally)