You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
rv dash vs vmspc - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Engine and Transmission Monitoring Systems (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: rv dash vs vmspc (/showthread.php?tid=4502)

Pages: 1 2

rv dash vs vmspc - pairodice - 09-20-2018

I am looking at the RV Dash and the Silverleaf VMSPc systems to monitor my coach.
I have read a bunch of the threads but don’t see any direct head to head comparison. 
The RV Dash works with an iPad (not sure about Android) 
The Silverleaf VMSPc works only with Windows PCs but one can use Remote Desktop to show the screens and interact with them on an iPad and maybe other devices. 
The RV Dash has come down in price to $350 for everything and the VMSPc is about $395 but I think there is a dealer that sells it for about $350 
From Silverleaf, the VMSPC includes: 
VMSpc USB Kit, $395 + freight
VMSpc JIB (JS501/USB)
6 ft USB cable (as required)
1 ft engine diagnostic harness (specify 6 pin or 9 pin)
CD with software
Owner's Manual w/ Warranty card

The RV Dash kit includes: 
CANpod, interface cable and access to RV Dash and DDec Decoder applications for $350.00.

Is there anything the RV Dash kit can do that the VMSPc cannot do (and vice-versa)? 
I have owned the Silverleaf before and know it will work but really like the idea of using a 12” iPad on the dash to see engine/trans info. 

RE: rv dash vs vmspc - folivier - 09-20-2018

I see that the RV Dash appears to only work with DD 8V92 & series 60 engines.
Does it also give you the diagnostic info, logging, and fuel tank info that VMSpc does?
Not that it matters to you but VMSpc works with many other engines.
BTW I'm using VMSpc with my MacBook using VMware Fusion with windows XP.
I'm very satisfied with VMSpc having used it on both my 93 & 98 Newells and now with my Foretravel.
Search for Chester's post, I know he used a tablet (not sure if it was iPad or Android) for VMSpc. I think he had to use a windows computer and mirror over to the tablet.

RE: rv dash vs vmspc - bikestuff - 09-20-2018

Adrian,

I think you will find that most if not all of the gurus use the VMSPC. I bought the RV Dash system but ended up not using it. It may be different now but the old system was kinda clunky. (It created its own WiFi network and that is how the canpod talked to the iPad). It could not do maps and engine data at the same time.

On the other hand, the VMSPC system typically uses USB to interface between the interface box and the PC. More cables, but very reliable.

I agree that I would like to see a more modern system but of the two, I suggest the VMSPC is the more functional.

Bill

RE: rv dash vs vmspc - Fasteddie - 09-22-2018

On our last trip I received an error on the ddec with check engine and error of COULD NOT WRITE TO EEPROM. After a rest stop with shutting down the engine and then starting the error cleared on the DDEC. This happen 2 times and did not notice any problems with the performance of the engine. 

98 Newell #490

RE: rv dash vs vmspc - pairodice - 09-22-2018

Was that on the VMSpc?

RE: rv dash vs vmspc - Fasteddie - 09-23-2018

No that was on the dash mounted DDEC standard equipment.

RE: rv dash vs vmspc - ccjohnson - 09-24-2018

Ed,
We had similar issues with our DDEC 8V92. We kept getting "low coolant level high voltage" alarms. They would trip the CE & SE lights. SE would shut down engine in +/- 30seconds unless I did a manual over ride on dash switch to get off roadway. After much trial & error I think that the problem originated in a bad battery on the house side. It was causing some wonky voltage outputs from the alternator as the banks on our coach auto merge when the engine is running. I have also replaced both engine batteries as as well as both house batteries and have not had the issue since. Coolant level was never low. You may want to check all your batteries if problem continues.

RE: rv dash vs vmspc - pairodice - 02-17-2019

So I ended up ordering the VMSPc before leaving for the trip and SilverLeaf was very good to ship it to us almost overnight for the trip. It was fun to play with all the settings (probably drove my wife crazy) and it was very nice being able to see just about anything we might want to see about the engine. I think the Turbo temps were about the only thing that did not work very well but the other temps worked fine and were much more accurate than the guages.

RE: rv dash vs vmspc - jcus - 02-17-2019

Another contender. https://bluefire-llc.com/store/

RE: rv dash vs vmspc - pairodice - 02-17-2019

Thanks jcus- wish I had known about that adapter before... :-(
Have you tried one of these? I might get one to play with...