You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Newell #515 - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Emergency Coach Help Needed (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Forum: Help, I need help ASAP (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: Newell #515 (/showthread.php?tid=4505)

Pages: 1 2

Newell #515 - Kthomase7 - 09-22-2018

Hello forum!  I need help before I purchase this Coach!!!  It’s #515.....any info on this would be great!!!  I’m putting a Down payment on it today until I go to Texas to purchase in a few weeks!

Any information please!!!!!!

RE: Newell #515 - Fulltiming - 09-22-2018

Check you PM's.

RE: Newell #515 - DanB - 09-22-2018

(09-22-2018, 07:58 AM)Kthomase7 Wrote:  Hello forum!  I need help before I purchase this Coach!!!  It’s #515.....any info on this would be great!!!  I’m putting a Down payment on it today until I go to Texas to purchase in a few weeks!

I have looked at this Coach twice. It needs lots of TLC. A few things I noticed when I looked at it. 

It appears to have some damage on the front cap over the windshield that was repaired.

The front slide has rivets that look like they have been added. May be fine, just be advised.

The front slide seal is not sealing at the top corners. Not sure what the problem is, but daylight is clearly visible from the inside. Not sure about the rear slide.

The pic's. on RVT make it appear to be a 1 1/2 bath Coach. But...there is no toilet in the rear bath. I called Newell and spoke to Tommy Key about the lack of a toilet. He confirmed that there was no toilet per the original Coach blueprints. He said it would be cost prohibitive to add one. May not be an issue for you.

Dan

RE: Newell #515 - DanB - 09-22-2018

(09-22-2018, 07:58 AM)Kthomase7 Wrote:  Hello forum!  I need help before I purchase this Coach!!!  It’s #515.....any info on this would be great!!!  I’m putting a Down payment on it today until I go to Texas to purchase in a few weeks!

I remembered something else, check the passenger seat, it felt loose, may have been overloaded.  Rolleyes

RE: Newell #515 - Guy - 09-23-2018

Please take your time on your Newell purchase. Coach condition is everything. Buying an older coach is not to be rushed. Also a solid reserve fund is needed for surprises after purchase. Ask these Gurus how to inspect a coach for purchase, not just what do they think of a particular coach. They have many years of Newell experience.

For me, If daylight could be seen through the slide from the inside, I'm running away from that coach, not putting a down payment on it.

Prior to purchase, or even a down payment, the motor oil and transmission fluid should both have samples  drawn and sent to a lab such as Blackstone . This can be done by a suction tube not even having to crawl under the coach. The best 30 dollars you could spend, considering a sick engine that may still be running great can cost more than 25 thousand to replace, and the transmission can be more than 10 thousand. This is exactly what happened to the prior owner of our coach. By the time he got it home from Texas, ( not from the seller you are working with) it needed a new engine for more than 26 thousand dollars. The first long trip out with his rebuilt motor, the transmission gave out. Thanks to a Guru on this forum, a used transmission was given to him and sent to the west coast to be installed. Even with the free transmission, the bill was more than 5 thousand for freight and installation.

With due diligence, you can find a good solid Newell that will make you happy, but the mechanical wellness of the coach is much more important than the floor plan etc. 

Good luck with your Newell shopping. There is the perfect coach for you out there. It may or may not be the one you are currently looking at.

RE: Newell #515 - folivier - 09-23-2018

Newell adds a small strip of sealant at each corner to help the bladder seal along that radius. Is this perhaps what was possibly missing? They do need to be redone every few years. Could be a problem or a quick fix.

RE: Newell #515 - encantotom - 09-23-2018

as forest says, the corner issue is from the ripple in the air seal for the slide. virtually all coaches have it to some extent and the silicone is what newell does.

the other thing to remember is we are talking about a 20 year old coach. i agree on fluid samples as an indicator for a buyer. but sometimes that isnt possible so you do your best.

my 02 has plenty of things that can be picked apart by someone doing an inspection like it was a new coach. steve bare taught me the rule on it. 5 foot rule....stand back 5 feet and see if it still bothers you if so.....10 foot rule. stand back ten feet and still if it still bothers you. ha one mine i need more distance in some cases.....

we all want the perfect condition coach. you end up getting and keeping the one you think is perfect enough for you and do your best to improve what you can., important thing is to use it and love it.

tom

RE: Newell #515 - Kthomase7 - 09-23-2018

Thanks for all of the wisdom and investigation for this Coach! There is another Newell that just popped up on RVTrader which is a 96 model with what looks to be a racer paint job! Looks to be a very nice coach and I would have slides to worry about! It’s listed in NY! Any information?

RE: Newell #515 - Kthomase7 - 09-25-2018

(09-22-2018, 10:40 AM)DanB Wrote:  

I have looked at this Coach twice. It needs lots of TLC. A few things I noticed when I looked at it. 

It appears to have some damage on the front cap over the windshield that was repaired.

The front slide has rivets that look like they have been added. May be fine, just be advised.

The front slide seal is not sealing at the top corners. Not sure what the problem is, but daylight is clearly visible from the inside. Not sure about the rear slide.

The pic's. on RVT make it appear to be a 1 1/2 bath Coach. But...there is no toilet in the rear bath. I called Newell and spoke to Tommy Key about the lack of a toilet. He confirmed that there was no toilet per the original Coach blueprints. He said it would be cost prohibitive to add one. May not be an issue for you.

Dan

Thanks Dan!
Did you take it out on the road or go through the mechanics of starting it up and everything?!

(09-23-2018, 08:42 AM)encantotom Wrote:  as forest says, the corner issue is from the ripple in the air seal for the slide.  virtually all coaches have it to some extent and the silicone is what newell does.

the other thing to remember is we are talking about a 20 year old coach.  i agree on fluid samples as an indicator for a buyer.  but sometimes that isnt possible so you do your best.  

my 02 has plenty of things that can be picked apart by someone doing an inspection like it was a new coach.  steve bare taught me the rule on it.   5 foot rule....stand back 5 feet and see if it still bothers you  if so.....10 foot rule.  stand back ten feet and still if it still bothers you.   ha    one mine i need more distance in some cases.....

we all want the perfect condition coach.  you end up getting and keeping the one you think is perfect enough for you and do your best to improve what you can.,  important thing is to use it and love it.  

tom
Thanks Tom,
Thats a good way to look at it! LOL

(09-23-2018, 06:08 AM)Guy Wrote:  Please take your time on your Newell purchase. Coach condition is everything. Buying an older coach is not to be rushed. Also a solid reserve fund is needed for surprises after purchase. Ask these Gurus how to inspect a coach for purchase, not just what do they think of a particular coach. They have many years of Newell experience.

For me, If daylight could be seen through the slide from the inside, I'm running away from that coach, not putting a down payment on it.

Prior to purchase, or even a down payment, the motor oil and transmission fluid should both have samples  drawn and sent to a lab such as Blackstone . This can be done by a suction tube not even having to crawl under the coach. The best 30 dollars you could spend, considering a sick engine that may still be running great can cost more than 25 thousand to replace, and the transmission can be more than 10 thousand. This is exactly what happened to the prior owner of our coach. By the time he got it home from Texas, ( not from the seller you are working with) it needed a new engine for more than 26 thousand dollars. The first long trip out with his rebuilt motor, the transmission gave out. Thanks to a Guru on this forum, a used transmission was given to him and sent to the west coast to be installed. Even with the free transmission, the bill was more than 5 thousand for freight and installation.

With due diligence, you can find a good solid Newell that will make you happy, but the mechanical wellness of the coach is much more important than the floor plan etc. 

Good luck with your Newell shopping. There is the perfect coach for you out there. It may or may not be the one you are currently looking at.
Thanks Guy,
Will do!

RE: Newell #515 - rundlc - 11-15-2020

Just my 2 cents worth, just be prepared to either be a DIY type person or have a very good bus mechanic nearby that you trust! I've learned to fix a few things here and there on mine. The guys here and support will get you through most issues. Whatever you do GO SEE IT for yourself.