You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Aluminum exterior wall sheathing - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Please introduce yourself (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+--- Thread: Aluminum exterior wall sheathing (/showthread.php?tid=4592)

Aluminum exterior wall sheathing - Doug Musick - 11-04-2018

After much research I've decided to purchase a used Newell but haven't decided which model years to limit my search to.  I know the years major model design and driveline changes were made.  And I toured the factory, I was very impressed.

However, can anyone tell which model or year they started using an aluminum skin and internal aluminum framing?  Or if they've always been built that way?

I ask because I've seen so many other fiberglass clad coaches have problems with delamination, and I want to avoid that potential problem later on.

RE: Aluminum exterior wall sheathing - rheavn - 11-05-2018

Welcome to the site. Newells, which go back to the 60s, have always been aluminum skin.  In fact the front and rear caps used to also be aluminum.  Now the front & rear caps are a very thick "fiberglas like" material.  Much thicker than any fiberglas coach uses.

Good luck in your search...............................

RE: Aluminum exterior wall sheathing - superbirds - 11-05-2018

Hello Doug
Welcome
To give an example to Steve's point, my Newell is a 1975 30ft coach. It is all aluminum on the outside except for the top front and back they are fiberglass also. Mine is a diesel pusher also, one of the first few year's of that feature. I like my coach just fine, of course the features increase and the technology get's better on the newer year's. I guess it will depend on your budget and comfort level. I'm kind of biased toward the classic coaches so probably not the best person to ask. Depending on the year and how it's been cared for any of the models can be a good choice.
Mine just requires a little more love Smile.

RE: Aluminum exterior wall sheathing - Doug Musick - 11-05-2018

Thank you.  That is good news.  What I was hoping to hear.  I'm basically looking at late 90's through 07, however I think I would really like the active steerable tag on the late 04's and newer.

RE: Aluminum exterior wall sheathing - RussWhite - 11-05-2018

Doug,

Just because it has an aluminum skin and aluminum structure under that does not mean it cannot de-laminate. How the skin is attached to the frame determines whether it stays on or not. Mine did not. I had to rivet it on.

RE: Aluminum exterior wall sheathing - encantotom - 11-05-2018

you are looking at a pretty broad range of prices in late 90's to 2007. like 100k to 350k. if you want steerable tag in are in the mid 04 and up range.

tom

RE: Aluminum exterior wall sheathing - folivier - 11-06-2018

The late 90's coaches are much less complex with the electronics and air systems than the later coaches. This could be important if you are a hands on owner or have to pay a shop to diagnose and repair any problems that pop up.
What I and many others would suggest is to spend time looking at these different Newells to get an idea of what will work for you.
I like to be able to work on my own coach, it's rewarding, and if I'm in a remote area I like to have the capability to fix a problem.
But the later coaches especially the steer tags are really nice!
What part of the country are you in? If near Texas, Motorhomes of Texas in Nacogdoches usually has a nice selection of coaches in your range.

RE: Aluminum exterior wall sheathing - Doug Musick - 11-06-2018

In Manhattan, KS.  I like to do some of my own repairs but with a rig this big I'll probably leave the heavy stuff to others.  I do question the long term holding ability of glue.  But being able to rivit aluminum skin vs replacement which is usually the case with fiberglass sheathed plywood still seems better.  I know many prevost owners have experienced glue failures as well and had to add some rivits later.

We're currently enjoying our starter class A, a 1995 Fleetwood Bounder.  I got it for a steal, but it's given me plenty of white knuckles when driving, especially with a cross wind.  I've replaced a water pump (12 V), roof vent, battery charger, and hot water heater.  And the amount of rust on the subframe components is telling me to move on soon.   Education isn't free and we've learned a lot.  Most importantly though we learned we like the life style and feel much more comfortable now with our decision to move up to something nicer.