You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Want to buy - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Please introduce yourself (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+--- Thread: Want to buy (/showthread.php?tid=4684)

Pages: 1 2

Want to buy - zzotte - 12-25-2018

Merry Christmas everyone, I have been looking around for a while and I’m in love with Newell sad however I can only aforward a older one, so my question is first Is Panterra dealer reputable? They have a 40’ triple slide 2003 that on picture looks beautiful it’s any any of you familiar with this coach I’m a total newbie I current have a 2018 32’ Newmar Baystar and cant wait to have a diesel pusher bu 40’ feet it’s my max for various reason any information I would really appreciate 

Thanks 
zzotte

RE: Want to buy - edkunkel - 12-25-2018

Merry Christmas,

I am new here too, so you will get more real answers when the real gurus weigh in. Because of our shared newness, I can perhaps empathize with you. To chime in on your question, I believe you would benefit by contacting or visiting the dealer you mentioned, in order to learn more. (there are other dealers too, and you can look to them as well)

You can see that the rig listed is serial number 652, I believe. You can enter an identifier number like 652 (if I have that right) in the google custom search bar on this site. I believe it will always be the last 3 or 4 digits of the VIN#, for example 999 or 1111 would be correct formats.

It is the search bar on the LEFT of the screen. (not top right of screen, for that you need 4 characters ####) You can also look at coaches of newer and younger vintage and then see the differences. Also if you look at an identifier number like this, the rig in question may have been sold once or twice before.

ln the coaches for sale section of the board here I would also encourage you to read the intro language.

Of course there are reams of data on this site. That comes often from decades of experience with these coaches. All of it is personal experience, not advice. However it looks to be invaluable experience to me. Have a happy, festive holiday! Eric

RE: Want to buy - edkunkel - 12-25-2018

(12-25-2018, 02:56 PM)zzotte Wrote:  Merry Christmas everyone, I have been looking around for a while and I’m in love with Newell sad however I can only aforward a older one, so my question is first Is Panterra dealer reputable? They have a 40’ triple slide 2003 that on picture looks beautiful it’s any any of you familiar with this coach I’m a total newbie I current have a 2018 32’ Newmar Baystar and cant wait to have a diesel pusher bu 40’ feet it’s my max for various reason any information I would really appreciate 

Thanks 
zzotte

Zotte,

... one more area to look is the forum section on what to consider when buying used.  I remembered a recent discussion on #639, a coach that sold a month or so ago.  Of course 639 is a year older approximately.  If you are interested you can learn a great deal by following these excellent discussions.  Good Luck with your inquiries and Grace and Peace on Christmas.  

Oh one more thing, then I have to get back to family -

You can look at youtube videos.  Motorhomes of Texas has many, I remember Panterra has some.  And there are others.  I believe you can learn something (not everything) from a video.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfmeywi6KHE

I believe this link works, and I believe this rig from several years ago is an example of another 03.  I think videos show some things really well.  Of course they are produced.  And are in the eye of the beholder.

RE: Want to buy - folivier - 12-25-2018

Another thing to consider is any Newell less than 45' is pretty rare. I heard once that the cost difference is not much $ less so most new buyers build a 45'.
Michael Day can add more but if you want a 40' Newell there ain't many out there, unless you want a classic or early 90's and these won't have slides.
Good luck in your search.

RE: Want to buy - Fulltiming - 12-25-2018

Unless someone has actually looked at a coach in person, it is difficult to judge a coach by the photos. Few Newells built after the early 1990's were that short so the selection is very slim at any time.

RE: Want to buy - Fulltiming - 12-25-2018

Give me an idea of the age range you are interested in, the number of slides and the maximum length you can deal with and I can give you a list of most of the Newells that were manufactured that meet those specs. Since there are some Newells that I have little or no data, there may be a few omissions.

RE: Want to buy - BobALou - 12-26-2018

Hi, zzotte. I don't have any first hand experience with the Panterra guys...never been there or met them...but I can tell you that they are one of several dealers who purchase older trade-ins from the Newell factory. I have no idea if that's the case with the coach you mentioned, however. I get the impression that they own most of their inventory (i.e. not consigned), but I've never confirmed that. I do feel that their pricing (at least to me) seems to be a bit more aggressive than some others. If I had to hypothesize, I'd say this is likely a function of them owning the coach versus consignment scenarios where owners typically feel their asset is "the best" and (over)price it accordingly. My only negative comment is that I don't think they're the best marketers because their presentation of their coaches could be greatly improved.

RE: Want to buy - zzotte - 12-26-2018

(12-25-2018, 06:14 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Give me an idea of the age range you are interested in, the number of slides and the maximum length you can deal with and I can give you a list of most of the Newells that were manufactured that meet those specs. Since there are some Newells that I have little or no data, there may be a few omissions.

Thanks Michael, the only reason for 40’ max it’s just a preference and keeping the DW happy. Right now we are looking at a 2003 #652 @panterra and a 2005 @motorhome of Texas. The year group is budget and front slides, I don’t know much about Newell except from what I have read quality from the ground up, I’m sure the initial cost it’s nothing if get a bad coach so that’s why the asking about the dealer’s reputation, and any first hand knowledge about the coach’s like any problem areas etc. We are planning on Fulltime traveling for a few years before going back to a B&S home. 

Thanks again 
Zzotte 

RE: Want to buy - Fulltiming - 12-26-2018

The age range or price range makes a big difference in number of slides available and major changes such as HWH hydraulic slides vs Valid electric slides and ZF suspension (steering tag axle) availalbility. Both of the units you mention have Valid electric slides although a number of the earlier 2003 models had HWH hydraulic slides. #652 does not have the ZF suspension which was only available starting with SOME but not all of the 2004 models. The 2005 at Motorhomes of Texas #748 does have the ZF suspension. Both are 40'6" long. I don't believe #652 has had the 365 front tire upgrade although #748 has. They are both reasonably low mileage 87k on the '05 and 100k on the 2003 (about 6300 miles/year each). The generator on the '05 has had very little usage (740 hrs) vs 6090 hrs on the '03. If the '05 generator has been run regularly (there are enough hours to have run it monthly) it should have a longer lifespan ahead of it although the '03, if also run regularly should have thousands of hours left on it.

The only Newells shorter than 45' built in 2002 were #616 at 40'6" which I haven't seen listed since 2014 and #632 at 42'6" which I haven't seen listed since 2013. About a year ago, #649, a 2003 42'6" Newell was listed on craigslist in Phoenix. I don't know if it is still available. It and #652 were the only 2003 Newells less than 45'. #700, a 2004 was 43'6" but I believe it was exported and I have never seen it listed for sale. There were no other 2004's less than 45' made. In 2005, #724 was 40'6" but I understand it had a salvage title at one time. It and #748 were the only 2005 models less than 45'. #780, a 2006 at 42'6" was the only 2006 less than 45' and I haven't seen it for sale since Newell resold it in the middle of 2017.

Hope that helps at least refine the potential units available.

RE: Want to buy - zzotte - 12-26-2018

(12-26-2018, 01:04 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  The age range or price range makes a big difference in number of slides available and major changes such as HWH hydraulic slides vs Valid electric slides and ZF suspension (steering tag axle) availalbility. Both of the units you mention have Valid electric slides although a number of the earlier 2003 models had HWH hydraulic slides. #652 does not have the ZF suspension which was only available starting with SOME but not all of the 2004 models. The 2005 at Motorhomes of Texas #748 does have the ZF suspension. Both are 40'6" long. I don't believe #652 has had the 365 front tire upgrade although #748 has. They are both reasonably low mileage 87k on the '05 and 100k on the 2003 (about 6300 miles/year each). The generator on the '05 has had very little usage (740 hrs) vs 6090 hrs on the '03. If the '05 generator has been run regularly (there are enough hours to have run it monthly) it should have a longer lifespan ahead of it although the '03, if also run regularly should have thousands of hours left on it.

The only Newells shorter than 45' built in 2002 were #616 at 40'6" which I haven't seen listed since 2014 and #632 at 42'6" which I haven't seen listed since 2013.  About a year ago, #649, a 2003 42'6" Newell was listed on craigslist in Phoenix. I don't know if it is still available. It and #652 were the only 2003 Newells less than 45'. #700, a 2004 was 43'6" but I believe it was exported and I have never seen it listed for sale. There were no other 2004's less than 45' made. In 2005, #724 was 40'6" but I understand it had a salvage title at one time. It and #748 were the only 2005 models less than 45'. #780, a 2006 at 42'6" was the only 2006 less than 45' and I haven't seen it for sale since Newell resold it in the middle of 2017.

Hope that helps at least refine the potential units available.

WOW! Michael thank you so much for the detail info, all things considering I love the looks of #748 I  see that was a lot of improvements in two years but boy $70k above the #652 ouch but sometimes it’s like pay me now or pay me later :Smile

zzotte