You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Trip to Phoenix, AZ - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: General and or Other Stuff (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: General (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Trip to Phoenix, AZ (/showthread.php?tid=4721)

Pages: 1 2 3

Trip to Phoenix, AZ - pairodice - 01-18-2019

We got our coach out of the shop after an extended stay and are SO happy to be back in our 'home' away from home. 
The coach is running great and drives really well.  We took it around the loop in Nacogdoches today and performed perfectly.  VMSPC was delivered during the week along with 3 (THREE) different cables to finally figure out which really worked (thank you Karen, my beautiful wife!).  The engine is dry and battery bays look brand new now and we also have new seals on the fan hydraulics that don't leak anymore.  
We plan to head out early in the morning and was looking for advice on which way to go or avoid.  I figured we would run basically I-20 and I-10 West and stay South of the cold.  Hopefully the weather will hold out but I don't mind driving in the rain (it's cooler).  Any suggestions are welcome.  We will just be driving since time is a big factor this trip but I do have 1 extra day just in case of issues.

RE: Trip to Phoenix, AZ - Fulltiming - 01-18-2019

That is the route I would take from North Texas.

RE: Trip to Phoenix, AZ - ccjohnson - 01-19-2019

Looks like my preferred route also. Don't forget to wave when you drive through Deming!

RE: Trip to Phoenix, AZ - pairodice - 01-19-2019

We had to ‘burp’ our antifreeze and oil both this morning as I had lights all over the dash and the VMSPC was going crazy (it works!!!). Not a big deal as the new engine is breaking in. Just about ready to head out and as cold as it is here in Nacogdoches this morning we are planning on staying on the warmer, Southern I10 route so we may just be stopping in Deming! :-) I’m still route planning ...

Well, we are on the side of the road again. Engine smoking like crazy and no turbo boost. Looks like the Turbo is dead or maybe (hopefully) a hose came loose. Just outside of LaRue, TX on our way to Dallas... we have a mechanic on the way and maybe they will find a Turbo to replace this one with...

So here I sit on the side of the road almost to beautiful Athens, TX. Karen has gone to pick up a new Turbocharger from a Freightliner dealer near TexArkana, TX about 2.5 hours away. The shop is sending a mechanic out in the morning to install the turbo. I am waiting with the coach in case the Highway patrol passes by and tries to tow us away. I tried finding a ‘Bus Trailer’ (like a longer Landoll or LowBoy trailer) but no luck. CoachNet has been little use and never called us back. There are NO trucks around here with stingers that have WHEEL lifts on them (the ONLY kind to use as long as the coach stays on it and safety chains are used). Someone did say that there was one company that could come and do it but I refuse to use them after what happened the last time with them.
1.5 hours from the shop seems to be the litmus test for engines for us for some reason. At least we are not in the middle of the desert somewhere...

RE: Trip to Phoenix, AZ - RussWhite - 01-19-2019

Adrian and Karen,

I am so sorry for your situation. I am far away and can offer nothing to really help you out. Just want to say how terrible I feel for what you are going through. Please let us all know how it goes and maybe each of us on the forum can remember how well you handled adversity when our turn comes around. Thinking of you guys ----- Russ

RE: Trip to Phoenix, AZ - ccjohnson - 01-19-2019

You definitely have our sympathies. We have been there (on side of road waiting for tow) a couple of times. Hopefully the mechanic can get you up & running with minimum time & $$$$.

RE: Trip to Phoenix, AZ - Richard - 01-20-2019

Adrian,

What do you mean that you had to burp the oil and antifreeze? And exactly what did the VMSPc tell you?

RE: Trip to Phoenix, AZ - bikestuff - 01-20-2019

Adrian,

Sorry about the situation! It sucks to break down. Hang in there!

bill