You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Rockwell ABS Front Disc - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Documentation (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Suspension/Tires/Wheels (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: Rockwell ABS Front Disc (/showthread.php?tid=4734)

Pages: 1 2

Rockwell ABS Front Disc - RWH - 01-25-2019

Coach 410, 1995. Rockwell ABS Disc. Uneven wear on front pads noticed when the ds wheel bearing replaced. Later had shop inspect. Slide pins were sticking on ds. Both sides: Replaced brake pads (Air Disc Brake Pads D268- #3832, Van Horn Truck Parts), turned rotors, cleaned and lubricated slide pins. 

Yea. Ready to go. Headed to Nova Scotia from Abilene. Terrible brakes. The upside is that it reminds you to look farther down the road, keep Jake ready and ensure that your personal gastrointestinal evacuation is up to date.

Hard stop (ok, Attempt at hard stop) required huge brake pedal pressure. Locked up tag disk. Still missed the turn, yet had an opportunity to replace tag tires due to huge flat spots. 

After 5,000 or so miles, back in Abilene. Brakes getting less effective. Had to go to Houston. Great practice driving in heavy traffic with small amounts of braking. PS, front began providing all the work and producing stink bombs and heat to indicate their efforts. DS taking a break.

Now my request: The Rockwell ABS discs, as described by my mechanic, utilize a standard brake air piston actuator, then through a concentric arm (similar to drum actuators) push on an acme screw to transmit pressure to the brake pads. Supposedly, this was an older approach utilized on heavy aircraft brakes. 

In other words, these do not utilize air caliper assemblies. 

I am taking in for another inspection, Monday. 

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Rockwell ABS Front Disc - Trainer - 01-25-2019

My disk brakes have helper springs installed on all slide pins. Eases pads away from rotor.

RE: Rockwell ABS Front Disc - Richard - 01-25-2019

Wayne,

It will be interesting to see what the second shop finds. Did the braking performance worsen after the first work with the rotors and pads, or was poor braking the reason you had the work done?

RE: Rockwell ABS Front Disc - Phil D - 01-26-2019

Hi 
I have only just joined but am a heavy truck engineer in the UK can you tell me if the brake caliper is a DX195 and does it have a lever for operating the brakes and if so does it have a grease nipple on it . We had some serious problems with the shaft seizing on the roller bearings . The reconditioned ones had a grease nipple fitted and a grease seal on the bottom , The problem meant we had failed brakes on the foot brake 
Regards Phil

RE: Rockwell ABS Front Disc - RWH - 01-26-2019

(01-25-2019, 05:16 PM)Richard Wrote:  Wayne,

It will be interesting to see what the second shop finds. Did the braking performance worsen after the first work with the rotors and pads, or was poor braking the reason you had the work done?

This is the same shop. (I know.) My first mistake was not sticking my nose into it more. 
This is my error of omission. I got lazy. 
The original repair was turning the rotors and replacing the pads. Supposedly, the slide pins were cleaned and greased. 
On the way home from the repair, I smelled brakes when stopping medium hard. Smell went away quickly. 
Brakes were not that good after the repair. We put about 6,000 miles until now. Brake performance is dwindling. 
I’ll let you know what they find and I see. 

Thanks for the responses.

(01-26-2019, 07:43 AM)Phil D Wrote:  Hi 
I have only just joined but am a heavy truck engineer in the UK can you tell me if the brake caliper is a DX195 and does it have a lever for operating the brakes and if so does it have a grease nipple on it . We had some serious problems with the shaft seizing on the roller bearings . The reconditioned ones had a grease nipple fitted and a grease seal on the bottom , The problem meant we had failed brakes on the foot brake 
Regards Phil

Phil,
I will look. From memory, the disc utilize a standard looking air dash pot and moves an offset lever. 
Better pictures later. 
Wayne

RE: Rockwell ABS Front Disc - Phil D - 01-26-2019

(01-26-2019, 10:51 AM)RWH Wrote:  

This is the same shop. (I know.) My first mistake was not sticking my nose into it more. 
The original repair was turning the rotors and replacing the pads. Supposedly, the slide pins were cleaned and greased. 
On the way home from the repair, I smelled brakes when stopping medium hard. Smell went away quickly. 
Brakes were not that good after the repair. We put about 6,000 miles until now. Brake performance is dwindling. 

Regards Phil

Phil,
I will look. From memory, the disc utilize a standard looking air dash pot and moves an offset lever. 
Better pictures later. 
Wayne

Hi 
OK a picture would be good if it's the capper I am thinking about the problem was the quadrant and shaft were exposed to the elements so did seize . On all other axles e.g Scania, Volvo , here in the UK the brake chamber and calioer were covered by a tube for want of a better word ROR or Rockwood new it was a bad idea and it cost them a lot of money in recalls . I assume your brake system is full air ? Not air/hydraulic ? Phil

RE: Rockwell ABS Front Disc - RWH - 01-26-2019

[attachment=6381 Wrote:     Phil D pid='40373' dateline='1548528642']

Regards Phil

Phil,
Better pictures later. 
Wayne

Hi 
OK a picture would be good if it's the capper I am thinking about the problem was the quadrant and shaft were exposed to the elements so did seize . On all other axles e.g Scania, Volvo , here in the UK the brake chamber and calioer were covered by a tube for want of a better word ROR or Rockwood new it was a bad idea and it cost them a lot of money in recalls . I assume your brake system is full air ? Not air/hydraulic ? Phil

RE: Rockwell ABS Front Disc - Phil D - 01-27-2019

(01-26-2019, 07:44 PM)RWH Wrote:  
(01-26-2019, 11:50 AM)Phil D Wrote:  

Regards Phil

Phil,
Better pictures later. 
Wayne

Hi 

Morning All 
Ok got that photograph will have to have a look in the morning when I am at work it is a Type 24 service brake chamber but I can't see the caliper clear enough on my mobile . Can you give me the wheel size e.g. 22.5 inches , 17.5 ins or 19.5ins I know in the USA you have a bigger rim size 26 ? Phil

RE: Rockwell ABS Front Disc - RWH - 01-27-2019

(01-27-2019, 05:36 AM)Phil D Wrote:  
(01-26-2019, 07:44 PM)RWH Wrote:  
(01-26-2019, 11:50 AM)Phil D Wrote:  

Regards Phil

Phil,
Better pictures later. 
Wayne

Hi 

Morning All 
Ok got that photograph will have to have a look in the morning when I am at work it is a Type 24 service brake chamber but I can't see the caliper clear enough on my mobile . Can you give me the wheel size e.g. 22.5 inches , 17.5 ins or 19.5ins I know in the USA you have a bigger rim size 26 ? Phil

They are 24.5.

RE: Rockwell ABS Front Disc - Richard - 01-27-2019

All right guys, use the NEW reply button instead of the reply button in the box with the text. That way you won't be reposting the same info over again. Makes it hard to read.