You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
#1 Slide Stops 4" short of closing - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Slides (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=55)
+--- Thread: #1 Slide Stops 4" short of closing (/showthread.php?tid=4784)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: #1 Slide Stops 4" short of closing - Latitude 28 - 03-02-2019

Found the problem!

Last Tuesday, Richard "enthusiastically" offered to come over and help with our issue on the slide.....what a Guy!  He did confirm the slide is locking up hard in the front area.  He brought his WiFi bore-scope camera over....if you don't have one I highly recommend getting one!  We spent the afternoon rooting around with it and pretty much figured out how things are laid out as far as the slide mechanisms are concerned.  However we didn't find anything that jumped out at us.

Well, I ordered a camera that evening and two days later I am spending three or four hours each night on the camera looking for an issue.

Well this evening, found the issue;

The #1 slide, front skid plate (I will call #1 skid plate) has a row of rivets that is closest to the coach when the slide is extended.  That row of rivets have sheared or pulled loose.  When the skid plate resting on the white plastic bearing plates, in the extended position, there appears to be no issues.  The inboard part of the skid plate may be bonded but doesn't appear to have any rivets holding the skid plate tail up to the slide tube structure.  When the slide moves inboard the #1 skid plate inboard tail separates further from the slide tube drooping down far enough that the tail contacts the coach keel beam close to the center-line of the coach, i.e. 4" from stowed position.  Took a picture of the #2 skid plate ....compare that to the #1 skid plate.

My immediate plan is to use some "high tensile" strength aircraft rivets to replace the ones I can get to (instead of the pop rivet).  I kinda doubt that will bring that skid plate tail back close to the slide tube but it is worth a try.  Sans that fixing it, the slide may have to come out to re-attach the skid plate tail to the slide tube.  I may be able to drill the rivets out and lift the slide a wee bit to slide the skid plate out from under the tube to preload a calculated bend in the tail piece that will keep it in contact with the slide tube.

Hands down,everyone needs a WiFi camera in their tool arsenal.  I have enthusiastically recommended it to my aviation buddies.  That $38 dollar piece of kit save the day!  Thanks Richard!

Will update with the repair in a few days.

Steve

RE: #1 Slide Stops 4" short of closing - Richard - 03-04-2019

I cannot take credit for the endoscope toy, @"jdkskyking" turned me on to the technology.

RE: #1 Slide Stops 4" short of closing - encantotom - 03-04-2019

i got one too....good stuff

tom

RE: #1 Slide Stops 4" short of closing - folivier - 03-04-2019

I've got one too, at least I do now after I found it hiding in my office. Thanks for the reminder!

RE: #1 Slide Stops 4" short of closing - encantotom - 03-04-2019

come use my slide cart

tom

RE: #1 Slide Stops 4" short of closing - Latitude 28 - 03-05-2019

Tom,
Thanks for the offer...I have ordered the rivets and have a "Hail Mary" plan to accomplish the repair without pulling the slide.  Will post pics of the attempt.  

Steve

RE: #1 Slide Stops 4" short of closing - Richard - 03-06-2019

If the rivets won't hold because they pull through the floor, we could pull the couch and cut access holes in the flooring to get to the topside.

They you have the option of using washers for the rivets or threading in screws from the top. Just thinking out loud.

RE: #1 Slide Stops 4" short of closing - encantotom - 03-06-2019

you might look under the couch to see if there are access holes already. there were some on mine.

tom

RE: #1 Slide Stops 4" short of closing - Latitude 28 - 03-13-2019

Update on my slide issue....long story short, the slide has to come out.  Called Kris Jones @ Premium Coach in Zeperhills, FL....they have a slide table and are close. 

Received my order of aircraft rivets to reattach the slide plate to the bottom of the slide in order to pick up some strength in that area. The slide plate is bent at the point where it becomes cantilevered from the inboard edge of the slide.  Tried jacking up the slide to pull the slide plate out to straighten it....there is at least one rivet at the area where the seal is located.....the slide would not budge upward off of the HDW white plastic slide bearing material.

Gaining access through the driver side wheel well with a small hole trying to pry the slide plate back into the correct alignment. The slide support tubes are like a 2x3 steel tubes which prevents the over-bending upward of the slide runner. so no joy there. 

Going topside, the cantilevered part of the slide runner is actually under the drop down floor...so the couch access idea won't get us inboard far enough to bend it upward.  

Early in the search there was a small piece of broken HDW slide bearing found in the over-head of the L1 bay.  There may be a missing bearing that needs replacing anyway which may be the failure that caused the problem to begin with. 

Scheduled to go in on the 1st and will update the findings then.

Steve

RE: #1 Slide Stops 4" short of closing - encantotom - 03-13-2019

kris is very good and experiences with slides. i sent him my plans for my slide table and he made one similar from it

hopefully when it is pulled out it will be an easy fix

tom