You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Newell Future - Electrically Driven Radiator Fans? - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Drivetrain (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Newell Future - Electrically Driven Radiator Fans? (/showthread.php?tid=4825)

Newell Future - Electrically Driven Radiator Fans? - MarkofSJC - 03-13-2019

While I'm always in-awe of class-leading engineering, sometimes adapting to new opportunities makes a lot of sense.

I just discovered that Prevost premiered the launch of using two duplicate sets of electric fans to handle all engine cooling needs.  https://www.prevostcar.com/news-and-media/media-center/news/electrifying-future-prevost

When you think about it, it totally make sense:
  * I can't think of a late model car that doesn't have an electric powered fan
  * Complete, variable control only runs them as hard as needed for much better efficiency.
  * The HP gain at the wheels could be incredible (reported in the area of 75!)
  * Service-ability must be MUCH easier
  * Redundancy over single, fan-belt operated system is huge
  * Clever use of reverse motors to clear snow (!) but even having them stop operation to clear debris on a regular interval to allow a plastic bag to no longer be suctioned to the grill

I'm sure this makes the electrical management a bit more challenging, but I would guess it's a strong net gain.  Is anyone aware of Newell adopting this?

Just curious.

RE: Newell Future - Electrically Driven Radiator Fans? - LynnJeff - 03-13-2019

This looks exactly like what an earlier post was about getting air to an 8v92

https://www.emp-corp.com/products/advanced/

RE: Newell Future - Electrically Driven Radiator Fans? - pairodice - 03-13-2019

Yesterday as I was watching my hydraulic fan OHLA/motor bleed to death (which they fixed!!!) I thought about having all electric fans.
I talked to a few guys at All Aboard America yesterday (timely post). They said several of their Prevost either came with 4 large fans or could be retrofitted. The problem is how to power the fans. They are adapting a second alternator just for the fans. I think he said it was like 240amps output or so.
I have seen these electric fans used for years on City buses so the tech is there. I will volunteer my coach for a retrofit if someone will help with all the electrics. Maybe I should start a GoFundMe account for the good of the general Guru population...

RE: Newell Future - Electrically Driven Radiator Fans? - BobALou - 03-13-2019

If I recall correctly from the Prevost presentation at last month's expo, I thought they said that the electric fans are available on new builds, but are not retrofittable. The figure of $10K for the option sticks in my head, but don't quote me. (In general, I don't clutter my brain with things that have no foreseeable impact on my life. Translation: I have about as much chance of buying a new coach as I do sprouting wings, so my ADD took my attention elsewhere.)

RE: Newell Future - Electrically Driven Radiator Fans? - edkunkel - 03-13-2019

Robert,

Your memory usually beats mine.  But remember that other late model SOBSs are retrofittable; not sure it is a Volvo thing ....

In any case, yes.  Expensive rigs only with this kit.  However, maybe some other electric retrofits possible.

I remember several experts saying that the electric fans worth it for multiple reasons, including no more horsepower drawdown from mechanical fans .  If doable this general principle would apply to Newells.

Eric

RE: Newell Future - Electrically Driven Radiator Fans? - Richard - 03-14-2019

I am not a retrogrouch, but I do want to temper this conversation with a different perspective.

First, Newell using a two speed hydraulic setup is very efficient. If you have the older direct driven fan, then there are temperature activated clutches to improve that efficiency. Until the engines reaches above the activation temperature, the fan barely spins.

Second, there is no free lunch. Converting rotational energy through an alternator into electricity, and then electricity back into rotational energy through a motor is not as efficient as the use of hydraulics.

Yeah, I am a little cranky about the seal leak, and the mess it made. But, it lasteded 235000 miles before it leaked, and a poor install the first time on my part doesn't mean I have given up on the original equipment.

If the hydraulic fan runs all the time, as it does when the two speed system fails and it defaults to high, then it results in a 0.5 MPG decrease in my fuel mileage.

So let's just say that the electric fan system could result in that much of a gain over a mechanical system. Let's say that it improved the fuel mileage from 7.5 to 8.0 MPG. If a person put 100,000 miles on the coach after the retrofit here is what the cost savings would be at fuel price of 3.00 per gallon. Fuel costs for 100k miles at 7.5 MPG = 40k dollars Fuel costs at the increased efficiency 37.5K dollars. A maximum savings of 2500 dollars. So if the system can be installed for 10k, one would have to drive the coach for 400K miles to break even on the investment.

Sorry, I am supposed to be in a recovery program for engineers, and this morning I lapsed.

RE: Newell Future - Electrically Driven Radiator Fans? - pairodice - 03-14-2019

But what if fuel is $25/gallon? Lol. I agree with you on the ROI for something like this but we all need to have a dream...

RE: Newell Future - Electrically Driven Radiator Fans? - DK on the road - 03-23-2019

Richard, I like your breakdown, but the horse power gain.....priceless  Big Grin

Its still not worth it to a west coast guy with a Cat and $4.00 per gallon at 5.8 MPG vs 6.3 mpg it would still take 200,000 miles to break even.

But the power...... Cool