You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Bottle Jack - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Suspension/Tires/Wheels (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Bottle Jack (/showthread.php?tid=4834)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Bottle Jack - pairodice - 03-16-2019

I didn’t want to highjack the other thread for Classics so...
Which bottle jack do you guys recommend please?   I don’t want to order too tall of a jack and then not be able to get it under the jack points.  Speaking of jack points where are they located on a 1998?  I saw Tom’s coach has some nice flat jack points but do not see anything like that on mine. 
Also what wood do you guys use for cribbing?  I would think PINE would be too soft.  
I also need to be able to work on DIRT or gravel so would I need better cribbing under the jacks or maybe a steel plate and how thick/large would you recommend please?

RE: Bottle Jack - pairodice - 03-16-2019

This is the Bottle Jack I am contemplating. I like the air option but not sure if I have enough CFM on the coach to make it work.
https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Hydraulic-Bottle-Jack-Capacity/dp/B00026Z3HC/ref=pd_bxgy_469_img_3/133-4322558-8371048?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00026Z3HC&pd_rd_r=95dec647-4827-11e9-a980-bdee03e8959c&pd_rd_w=3I1Lq&pd_rd_wg=jQdDd&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=V0DGKM1ZWRSYY89W79RV&psc=1&refRID=V0DGKM1ZWRSYY89W79RV

RE: Bottle Jack - pairodice - 03-16-2019

Found a review on the air/hydraulic jack:
It is hard to beat the price, and, especially the shipping costs. The shipping costs from this supplier are really reasonable. The unit performs, and does a decent job for the money.
(1) You can use a wide range of pressures to operate it. The specs say that it operates between .7 MPa and 1.0 MPa. (MPa = megapascals (which is a clue that this is made in China) (1 MPa is about 145 psi, so, this unit operates between 100 psi and 145 psi)). This is important if you have a compressor that has a maximum working pressure of about 110 psi (most units for consumers are about 100 - 120 psi max.)
(2) It has a quick release couple, already on the unit, right next to the valve. It may only save a few bucks, but, it is one less thing you have to do to make the unit operational. I use a three outlet manifold on my compressor so that I always have a hose free with a female quick couple. This attaches nicely, and, the valve is right on the couple so you can pop it in and immediately begin pressurizing the jack. This is important if you are under a 3 ton vehicle and you want to move, and "fuss" around, as little as possible until you have it solidly on jack stands.
(3) The welds are tight and clean. They aren't the best quality, but, they aren't the worst either. (I've seen some junk come out of China that looked like my five year old had welded it for his art class in kindergarten. The welding on this unit doesn't qualify for freeform art. It's professional).
(4) It has a small pneumatic tank (which is an important feature for an air bottle jack). The tank insures a reserve supply pressure to the hydraulics in case a microscopic leak developes under pressure). This is not only a professional design feature, it is also a safety feature. It is less likely, with a pneumatic reservce, that the jack will fail.
(5) The hose ends are well protected with a spring cage and reinforcements.
All in all, if you just need a casual jack for boosting an SUV or ATV in the garage, this unit gives you the best bang for the buck

There is also a manual version of these jacks: and it is cheap:
https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Hydraulic-Bottle-Jack-Capacity/dp/B000234IT4/ref=pd_day0_hl_263_1/133-4322558-8371048?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000234IT4&pd_rd_r=84535281-482a-11e9-a0f6-eb01d7bf9839&pd_rd_w=Vxiao&pd_rd_wg=4lwMt&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=XNTD2Y3MYTT4PFTV4917&psc=1&refRID=XNTD2Y3MYTT4PFTV4917

RE: Bottle Jack - pairodice - 03-17-2019

No comments on this thread? Maybe I should have hijacked the other thread... :-(

RE: Bottle Jack - rheavn - 03-17-2019

20 Ton jacks are very slow to raise manually.  That is why I use a 20 ton jack with air assist.

RE: Bottle Jack - pairodice - 03-17-2019

Thanks Steve, that’s what I’m thinking also - can you raise yours with the coach air? I also would like to find an air assist bottle jack with the ‘U’ shaped top to prevent the axle from sliding out of it (just in case).
I’m looking at LVL wood to make cribbing for the coach but by the time I buy a jack/stands/cribbing to be safe under the coach it may be better just to find a pit I can use somewhere (if those exist) or bring it to another BUS shop...

RE: Bottle Jack - Tf175 - 03-18-2019

The HF 20 T air/hydraulic jack lifted the left drive side on the 86 , on the ground with a steel plate under the jack . One 12 t jack stand under the frame aft of the axle , the other under engine cradle . I use shop air , so I can't comment on whether the onboard compressor will do the job. 
 Good luck , be safe .
Chris

RE: Bottle Jack - Jackflash - 03-18-2019

Bear in mind that jack stands are rated for the pair, 12 ton stands only have a combined load capacity of 12 tons.  I would be uneasy getting under the rear of my rig while on 12 ton stands, it crushed the wood cribbing I tried initially.  I now have 22 ton stands and a 20 or 25 ton (can't remember for sure) air assist bottle jack.

RE: Bottle Jack - Tf175 - 03-18-2019

I read the spec sheet and the 12 ton rating is , indeed the combined rating for the two stands . Apologies for input .
Chris

RE: Bottle Jack - Richard - 03-18-2019

The HF air over hydraulic jack will lift the coach with the onboard engine air compressor running. I have done it a few times.