You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
air pocket door problems - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Air Operated Systems and Leaks (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: air pocket door problems (/showthread.php?tid=4924)

Pages: 1 2

air pocket door problems - encantotom - 04-23-2019

howdy all,

the pocket door going into the bedroom has just started being flakey.  it closes ok, but takes quite a few times to get it to open.  you push the rocker switch to open and it makes the air swoosh, but door doesnt open.  eventually it will open.  it is not stuck physically.  

i think i can access the ram through a cover in the closet that is there in the hallway.  i assume the valve and solenoid is there as well?

any wisdom on what to look for?  there is enough air in the system.  

other pocket air door works fine.  

thanks

tom

RE: air pocket door problems - bikestuff - 04-24-2019

Tom,

My pocket doors are particularly finicky. They need the right amount of air to work well. Too little and they don’t work, and too much and they make a “clank” noise and then are released somehow from the mechanism. I fought them constantly until I added a second regulator that just works the doors.

I don’t recall exactly but think I have 30 lbs on the doors and 50 lbs on the potty.

So, could it be that you have too much air?

Bill

RE: air pocket door problems - Richard - 04-24-2019

Tom, there is a electo pnuematic solenoid valve very similar to the one that operates the dump valves hidden behind the panels. It will be at the top pretty close to the slide mechanism.

Getting access will be an exercise in jigsaw puzzles.

It's the same problem that we have with the dump valves. The spool wears in the solenoid valve body, and air escapes around the spool instead of going where we want it to.

RE: air pocket door problems - encantotom - 04-24-2019

thats what i was hoping richard. i will take it apart this afternoon and see what i need.

i believe it can get at it by taking the access panel cover in the closet out that is right there.

if only i was 8 feet tall and 5 foot long arms

tom

RE: air pocket door problems - Jackflash - 04-24-2019

Mine seems to be having the same issue as Bill's.  The closet door will close rather forcefully then disengage, allowing it to freely slide back and forth.  Never have any problem with the bedroom door though.  Where did you locate and install the additional pressure regulator?

RE: air pocket door problems - bikestuff - 04-24-2019

The regulator that controls the potty and the air doors is near the 12V pump (in same bay as Aquahot) on my coach. There is nothing special about the regulator. Just get an adjustable one along with a gauge and T into the line to the doors.

RE: air pocket door problems - Richard - 04-24-2019

Those solenoid valves will have Flow control mufflers screwed into the exhaust ports. You can adjust the closing and opening speed of the doors with the screw in the center of the regulator.

RE: air pocket door problems - Keith Jordan - 04-24-2019

I had to replace the ram in mine.Had to remove mirror above door which is glued on.Access to solenoid involves removing ceiling panel in closet which are screws.Then it is pretty easy to get to if you are an octopuss.Good luck.

RE: air pocket door problems - bestgenman - 04-24-2019

The trick to removing the mirror over the door is to use a cake knife and cut the adhesive.  Re-glue it with silicone and tape to hold it in place until the silicone sets.

The PO had damaged the door by disconnecting the sliding portion of the magnetic coupling.  It is a little tricky to get the sliding portion centered back into the magnetic field.

when the field is dis-coupled, the door opens and shuts but the air driven magnet passes through the slider portion attached to the door.  When the door stops, the air cylinder/magnet slams past making a THUD sound!

RE: air pocket door problems - encantotom - 05-01-2019

fortunately it was easy to get at.  

man those lines are really really small.  must be 1/16th.  they are really tight so when i put the new valve body in i will move it over so it give the tubing some slack.

tom