You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
basement air - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Air Conditioning (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: basement air (/showthread.php?tid=4937)

Pages: 1 2

basement air - Rongripon - 05-05-2019

Well, here we go again. My basement air control board is giving me fits. seems the 115v ac connections are broken and I'm getting ready to take the board out, again. Got to strengthen the connection points.

I JUST LOVE THIS S@#T.

RE: basement air - Rongripon - 05-15-2019

WELL, the basement air is working due to Richard and his magic way. We installed a prototype board and some wiring things that were self generated by Moi. So far all the labor and troubleshoot by Richard is paying. Again, I'm in debt to him. The board is much cooler than the old one.

RE: basement air - bikestuff - 05-15-2019

Good job Ron!

Can you provide pictures and a little about the new board?

Thanks,
Bill

RE: basement air - Richard - 05-15-2019

Hmmmm, I think Ron outed me. I’ll post of pic, but it is a prototype, not quite ready for mass consumption. Ron was in serious need of a board, so he was willing to be the long term tester.

A couple of things worth mentioning. The bank of 8 relays is available from Amazon for about 12 bucks. They are triggered by the 12V signal from the tstat. They are also optoisolated so the tstat should be protected from any 120V shennigans. This board will only work with SCS units that already have the external contactors for the compressors. https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Channel-Module-Optocoupler-Trigger/dp/B00LW2GA5Y

The one logic puzzle is how to get the board to give all six functions of the tstat, lo fan, hi fan, lo AC, and hi AC with just four inputs. I’ll post the schematic when I have a chance but one of the relays is wired in series with the Compressor 1 circuit, so that when Compressor 2 comes on the outside fan switches to hi speed. 

While at Bella Terra, @"Roger 1" had built a similar setup except he had used relays that will handle 30 amps, so it is possible to build a board that will work without the external relays. I also saw that Roger used a sheet of polycarbonate to mount his relays and attachment terminals. 

I already ordered the supplies to build some prettier versions. I’ll post those pics, the parts links, and the schematic when I finish so that others can build some if they want them. 

I do not know what the longevity of the relays will be. Ron is the beta tester.

RE: basement air - Rongripon - 05-17-2019

Presently, the board is working fine.

I think my next change would be to put ports on the compressors so the freon could be brought back to specs.

because it's a test board, i'll let Richard provide info. The fact that it worked on my system gave the coach new life.

RE: basement air - bikestuff - 05-17-2019

This is absolutely awesome!

I am continually amazed at the knowledge, the curiosity and the generosity of the world of gurus.

If Richard’s solution holds together, it will be a boon to all the folks that have SCS basement air conditioners. (For those that have not heard, the boards are a known source of failure...lookup the threads on “external relays”)

Ron, I’m glad the board is working. Please keep us posted!

Bill

RE: basement air - Rongripon - 05-20-2019

as of yesterday afternoon i believe I have a bad compressor. Trips the breaker shortly after turning it on. The fans are running and putting it on low cool seems to work but on high the break goes. I'm not in a position to get under there to check wiring. 

gonna be a hot trip unless I can replace the bad compressor. If I start I will change both but I don't have a test bench.

keep you posted.

RE: basement air - bikestuff - 05-20-2019

Is this the same one you have been working on?

RE: basement air - ccjohnson - 05-20-2019

Possibly a bad start capacitor for the compressor?

RE: basement air - Guy - 05-20-2019

A bad starting capacitor that doesn't supply enough starting power can cause the breaker to trip .Lower voltage means higher amperage requested thru the breaker. More probable than a bad compressor, easier to diagnose and a lot cheaper than a compressor.