You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Air conditioner - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Emergency Coach Help Needed (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Forum: Help, I need help ASAP (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: Air conditioner (/showthread.php?tid=5060)

Pages: 1 2

Air conditioner - Joe Galowitch - 07-05-2019

Grearing gurus I seem to be having a problem with the front basement air. We are in New Mexico and it’s hot and the salon will not pull down below 84 with thermostat set at 74. The fan is blowing the temp coming our of the vent over the fridge is at 80, we had the new relays put in last year so where do I start looking? Also when running the gen with two ac the temp on the gen goes almost 220. Is there a circuit the turn on the compressors? Last question we are heading to the factory now and I know that Richard is making new boards so if I need one can I buy one from you.  Please let me know if you are out there Richard Thanks Joe with one upset wife.

RE: Air conditioner - Guy - 07-05-2019

Joe, our coach is much older than yours, with Duo Therm original basement air. We had the same issue, and found very dirty evaporator coils were the issue.  ( the ones near where the cool air enters the coach cabin. ) They most likely had never been cleaned because of the interior location of them in the coach. We used  can of non rinsing coil cleaner, (important that it be non rinsing) and were able to spray the cleaner on them with a small nozzle similar to what comes on a can of WD40. Repeated the process several times and all is well again.

Just a thought, but it solved our problem.

RE: Air conditioner - bikestuff - 07-05-2019

Joe,

There are others here that know much more than I do about the ACs but I know the general things to look at.

1). Pull the filters and look at the coils...are they iced up? Another way to determine this is to feel the airflow coming out of vents. Is there a large or small volume of air coming from vents?
2). Measure the current flows with a clamp on ammeter. Since you have had the “board upgrade” it will be a little harder to get to the wires, but you want to measure the current going to the compressors. With the current measurements going to each compressor experts will be able to diagnose the likely culprit.
3). Once you do the external relay upgrade, it is very unlikely that the board will fail...but maybe a connector has failed. Look at both relays with your AC running. Is the little black button pulled in indicating the relay is active? If it is not pulled in then the trigger circuit / board is likely the problem.

This should get your started troubleshooting until a real expert chimes in.
Bill

RE: Air conditioner - Joe Galowitch - 07-05-2019

Thanks gurus now with great embarrassment I will tell you what my wife found. First you can’t axis the coils but I did change the filter which are under the stairs. I had a plastic bag get sucked in I guess will get it out when I get a camera in there and a gripper. So now to the rest of the story. The fan was blowing over the fridge but no cooling. Then my smart wife went to here closest found a breaker number 1 reset and now we have ac thanks guys.Appreciate the help

RE: Air conditioner - HoosierDaddy - 07-05-2019

Joe, Thank you for sharing your findings. No worries about being embarrassed. I have had similar experience. It is very helpful for all of us to learn together.

RE: Air conditioner - bikestuff - 07-05-2019

I’m glad you are cooling!

RE: Air conditioner - Richard - 07-06-2019

Hi Joe.

I doubt your generator is actually running at 220. The high temp shutdown would kick in, and the computer would turn it off. Plus you would be boiling the coolant out of it like crazy.

Do you have an infrared temp gun? If so shoot the top of the radiator and the engine block to verfiy what the guage says. We all know those guages become wonky with time because of bad grounds and sensors.

Do check the coolant.

An obstruction, like a bag, or coffee filter, covering the inside fins will cause very high head pressures. These units do not have sensors for shutting down on high or low pressure. The high pressure draws an excessive amount of current which puts a load on the generator and trips breakers eventually.

It is very hot this summer almost everywhere. To others with SCS units, try this trick. Raise the coach as high as it will go to allow more air to circulate under the coach. I have found a five degree difference in the temperature of the exit air from the ducts with the coach being "on the ground" and up as high as possible in the front.

RE: Air conditioner - bikestuff - 07-06-2019

Ditto on Richard’s finding about raising the coach up. I started doing this and it makes a world of difference.

RE: Air conditioner - Joe Galowitch - 07-06-2019

Thanks guys I will try to raise the coach. The infra red shows much cooler coolant is brand new as well as the cap. We put in a new air filter. So I will quit being such a nervous Nellie and just enjoy.

RE: Air conditioner - jpaulnorris - 07-06-2019

Joe.

Have you received your wife's bill yet? Shop rates around Wichita seem to be $110 an hour with a 2 hour minimum.