You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
120v air compressor usage times - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Air Operated Systems and Leaks (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: 120v air compressor usage times (/showthread.php?tid=5090)

Pages: 1 2

120v air compressor usage times - encantotom - 07-23-2019

i did a very un scientific analysis on how much my 120v compressor is used.  

i have been sitting in the same place for nearly 4 months.  

on april 7 i decided to take a picture of my compressor hour meter.  i did the same thing today on july 23rd.  107 days

on july 23, it was 1870.3 hours

on april 7  it was 1798.8 hours

so has run 71.5 hours

107 days        and runs for about 5 minutes each time    so 71.5x60/5=  858 times  but to be honest i have not really timed how long it runs.  if it was 4 minutes it would have been 10 times a day.   

858/107= 8 times a day

so every 3 hours or every 2.4 hours    or something like that it runs for

i have 2 air power toilets, a bode air entrance door, two interior air pocket doors, a bay fridge on air slide.....all of which we use.  the doors get opened and closed alot.  toilets get flushed alot.  etc.  plus i dump the sewer tank every 3-4 days.  leveling system is not in autolevel.  

in that 107 days we have been gone from the coach for 3 days once, 2 days once, and a few all day times.   we are gone from 7am to 1pm everyday.    and i did try using the 12v compressor only for a couple of days......so throw all that in your calculating minds.  none of which i included in my calculations.  

so like i said, not very controlled 

for your reading pleasure

tom

RE: 120v air compressor usage times - Latitude 28 - 07-23-2019

Tom,
That sounds like you have a really tight system given what you operate during the day.  I have timed the 120v compressor cycling on our coach at 3:35 per cycle.  The coach is in Auto Level with no other air system items being operated during that time frame.

Steve

RE: 120v air compressor usage times - encantotom - 01-11-2021

while spending alot of time in the shop lately, i had my coach on the 120v compressor.

i timed it and it comes on every 4.5 hours without using the airdoor.

tom

RE: 120v air compressor usage times - Wardworks - 04-23-2021

It looks like I have most of the leaks under control now. The 120V compressor runs for 1-1/2 minutes every 2-1/2 hours using no air doors, toilet, leveling system off, etc...

RE: 120v air compressor usage times - Fulltiming - 04-23-2021

Very good Ron.

RE: 120v air compressor usage times - HoosierDaddy - 04-23-2021

I’m replacing leaky 1/4” push in air fittings. I’m thinking my coach still has the original 1/4” air lines running to the HCVs. I’m curious if anybody else has had trouble with those old lines? I’m trying to decide whether to replace them.

RE: 120v air compressor usage times - Richard - 04-24-2021

Dean,

In the 14 years that I have been following this forum, and the original Newellclassic forum, I do not recall anyone posting about a failed air line. Push on fittings, yes, constantly, but I just don’t remember burst or split air lines.

A general comment about compression DOT fittings, you don’t have to gorilla them tight to make them airtight.

RE: 120v air compressor usage times - rheavn - 04-24-2021

I have not discovered a single air line burst or split either.  I did find a rubber brake line chafed through.  99% of the air leaks I have found were without getting under the coach.  Replacing push in fittings is a no brainer---they leak.  Only replace with good quality DOT compression fittings.  Don't forget to check inside the coach.  Parking brake valves can leak.  Brake pedal valves can leak & mine had leaky push in fittings.  Air doors, toilets, etc.

The only push in fittings I have on my coach are on the dump air valves.  Never found a compression fitting to replace them.

RE: 120v air compressor usage times - folivier - 04-24-2021

Right on Richard! And make certain you use the brass sleeves that slide into the tubing. Get them snug by hand then maybe a 1/2 turn or so and they shouldn't leak. If you're replacing a pushon with a compression fitting remember you have to compress the sleeve so it'll be a bit harder than when re-tightening an existing fitting. It's only 120psi max and lower in some cases like the bladder etc.

RE: 120v air compressor usage times - bestgenman - 04-25-2021

In the weatherhead catalog, there are cardboard rings in various diameters fo the size of fitting and the thickness of the ring is to be used as a gauge.  The nut is removed from the fitting, a ring is placed on the threaded portion and the nut re=installed.  When the nut touches the ring upon tightening, it is at the proper tightness.

I found these when purchasing large fittings for fuel transfer lines.  They were a valuable addition to the installation.  The technicians installing the fittings had definite limits on tightening.  The size involved was 5/8OD.  The rings are available from #4 and up.