You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
main Girard awning - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Exterior (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: main Girard awning (/showthread.php?tid=5102)

Pages: 1 2

main Girard awning - Rongripon - 07-29-2019

My main awning will no activate in or out. 

Talked to Newell and Girard about the location of the control box. I was given left or right in front and in cabinets near the door, mid-entry, rear fuse box area. no luck

I've looked every and the only thing I could find was the remote for the anemometer.

I thought I check with those who have something near coach 660 to see if anyone might know where the controller is.  

my phone no. is 830-534-8459 if anything comes to mind.

thanks

RE: main Girard awning - Richard - 07-29-2019

Where is your switch? Look in that box

RE: main Girard awning - Rongripon - 07-29-2019

I've removed the light and switch panel at the entry. in that panel is the awning switch and behind the panel is the anemometer control box. Looking in every cabinet I can't find the awning control box. 

my next step is to unwire the awning motor and hot wire it to see if the motor is a problem . after that i don't know.

RE: main Girard awning - Latitude 28 - 07-30-2019

Ron,
The AC circuit breaker that powers the awning comes off the inverter and is located in the bay with the inverter.  Have you looked in there?

Steve

RE: main Girard awning - bikestuff - 07-30-2019

Ron, Is there more than one control box? If I look in cubby behind the panel with the switch is a little box that is 4x5x1.5”. Inside, it has the adjustment for the whirligig on top of coach. I thought that this box was also the controller for the awning.

My switch is weird and sometimes I have to press it twice to get the awning to go out or pull back in.

I would suspect the switch / controller rather than the awning.

Steve,
The awning is powered by AC? For realz? I guess I never thought about it and assumed it was DC.

Bill

RE: main Girard awning - Latitude 28 - 07-30-2019

Bill,
Mine is powered AC....Girard does have a DC motor available. Found this out while pricing a replacement motor a couple of months ago.

Steve

RE: main Girard awning - encantotom - 07-30-2019

bill, yes as far as i know all the girards that are in our vintage are ac powered.

tom

RE: main Girard awning - Rongripon - 07-30-2019

The box behind the entry panel is to set the speed that the anemometer will close the awning. 

The awing breaker is in the back power paned. it powers all the awnings. it is 115 volts.

i will look in the genes bay for another box. In talking with Girard, there is a control box, a current limiter and the wind sensor. 

Newell said the put them wherever was open at the time of installation. 

i'm lost..because no two are the same its really hard to track it down.

Of course, I can manually open and close it. yuk

RE: main Girard awning - bestgenman - 07-30-2019

And, the ignition must be off for the AC to power the controls.  Be careful as the AC is connected to a Bosch automotive relay (don’t ask how I know).  The anemometer setting is on the control board.

On 567, the motor leads are behind the speaker cabinet passenger side, opposite the drive motor outdoors.

RE: main Girard awning - Richard - 07-31-2019

Gordon,

What an A Ha! moment for me. A couple of years ago, the gear box on my Girard started slipping. Because the limit switches are in the gear box, the awning loses it’s knowledge of what is fully in and out. I could manually stop it when it came in. BUT, as I started down the road and the anemometer started spinning, the awning reactivated, totally stripping the gears, and the awning deployed. Since the gearbox was toast, you couldn’t manually crank it in. Somewhere between coach 512 and coach 567, Newell added the relay you referenced so that the scenario above would not happen.