You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Air filter service - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Repair Maintain and Inspect (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General Repair (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Air filter service (/showthread.php?tid=5356)

Pages: 1 2

Air filter service - ACR - 02-02-2020

This might seem kinda of lame question but how do you get the air filter out for service? It looks complicated so I dont want to gut the engine compartment if I don't have too.

RE: Air filter service - Richard - 02-02-2020

You have to disassemble the turbo crossover pipe. Then just the clamps that hold the filter. It is a jigsaw puzzle

RE: Air filter service - ACR - 02-02-2020

Thanks Richard all that needs a good polishing anyway , the engine and all stainless will receive the attention it needs as I can't stand to see something that is suppose shine dull.

RE: Air filter service - Chester Stone - 02-03-2020

When removing the crossover pipe, exercise care that you do not damage the A/C Shrader valve that is exposed and close by.

RE: Air filter service - pairodice - 04-23-2020

I am planning to do this today in prep for my trip tomorrow - please let me know of any snafus I might run into (like the Schrader valve Chester mentioned). I also noticed the boot on the turbo is a little sideways - what is the easiest way to get to it? (Remove the closet flooring)? BTW, what do you guys use to polish the chrome pipes with?

RE: Air filter service - pairodice - 04-23-2020

I finally was able to get the air filter out after taking loose way more brackets than I needed.  The chrome turbo crossover pipes actually came out pretty easily. 
I wrapped a 5mil rubber glove over the down pipe to keep junk (and screws) out of it...
The brackets that suspend the canister do come loose they are just hard to release since there is down pressure on them - you have to lift the canister to get them to come loose.

Here are some air filter numbers that I found:
From Newell:
FARR - C-62891-2
Lubrifiner - LAF-1848  about $185
Others for cross-reference:
Fleetguard AH 8503 Filter Barn
Fram CA 7230 Filter Barn

RE: Air filter service - bestgenman - 04-23-2020

Why is your restriction port plugged?  And, did the restriction gauge show in the yellow or red?

If it is missing, it becomes a guessing game whether the filter needs changed or not.  If you don’t have one, I may have one around here, the big problem is finding it!!  They aren’t expensive.

RE: Air filter service - pairodice - 04-25-2020

Ummm... what’s a restriction port? I have never seen a gauge for the engine air filter - where would it be located? It was a bugger trying to get the big pipes all lined up with the new canister! It probably would only take me about an hour to replace it now. Definitely call around on prices - even online prices are all over the map! I saw/heard everything from $80 to $260! I ended up paying $190 total at a local place in VA but could have gotten much better pricing if I wanted to wait two days... I ended up with a WIX filter.

RE: Air filter service - DK on the road - 04-28-2020

https://www.filterbarn.com/

Someone here on the Forum turned me onto Filter Barn. Yes you have to wait for delivery, but the pricing is very competitive if not the best. I've been using them for all of my filters since then.

The restriction port is the last picture, angle fitting that is capped and on top of the chrome pipe.

My restriction gauge is very similar or exactly the same as what I have on my Ford Trucks and tractors. As Gordon say's you'd only be guessing as when to change the filter.

RE: Air filter service - Guy - 04-28-2020

Our 1984 has no restriction guage, but I sure like the idea. So it gives amount of vacuum under full throttle? I have just taken a guess and changed air filter at 20 thousand miles. I thought it was overkill, but I noticed that the replacement filter was significantly light than the used filter, so maybe not. BTW, I found that using silicon paste, not silicone spray, made getting the two rubber boots back on the filter much easier.