You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Paintin the Newell! - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Exterior (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Paintin the Newell! (/showthread.php?tid=5501)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Paintin the Newell! - HoosierDaddy - 05-28-2020

Sorry for sideways image. I cant figure out how to fix it.

RE: Paintin the Newell! - Latitude 28 - 05-28-2020

Nice!  What is your choice of paint you are using?

RE: Paintin the Newell! - Richard - 05-29-2020

Dean,

Love it !

A couple of things learned while painting on ours. I don’t think you will be happy with the paint line left by the yellow tape if it is the same 3M yellow tape sold by the paint stores. I had MUCH better paint lines using the green FINE LINE tape. Two, I tried many different products and techniques for masking the large areas. The best was the thin plastic film sold specifically for masking cars. Spraying a light mist of water onto the coach caused the film to adhere while I positioned it. Then using a razor blade while holding the film away from the coach was used to cut away the areas I wanted to paint. And lastly, a small rolling scaffold is a miracle tool for working above ground level.

RE: Paintin the Newell! - HoosierDaddy - 05-29-2020

I am using PPG paint base/clearcoat in the same colors except for the pin stripe.
Newell applied Imron onto it in 1993. It has held up well but lost its shine. Interestingly, I called Newell about the paint codes and they still have them "on record". After supplying me with that info the paint guy said "that's the Miller Band coach, right?" I'm impressed that he still remembered!!!
Actually the yellow tape came from a place that paints RV's. It is excellent quality and has a decent edge. I plan to use striping tape for the parting lines though. I haven't seen the plastic film. I plan to use the green paper designed for automotive masking. the plastic sounds interesting though. One thing I have learned is to NOT use visqueen on an area near your paint field ....After the paint dries it will flake off of the flimsy plastic and become airborne flakes that find themselves to the surface of the next coat of paint or clear!! Scaffold .....Great idea!!! Thanks , Richard!

RE: Paintin the Newell! - Richard - 05-29-2020

The plastic is treated to make the paint adhere and not flake.

RE: Paintin the Newell! - HoosierDaddy - 05-29-2020

Ah, yes. The flaking was in reference to the cheap visqueen I tried to use in the past. I like the idea of the material you mentioned. I will check that out.

RE: Paintin the Newell! - HoosierDaddy - 06-02-2020

Well the PPG paint shop did a great job with the silver and had the clear coat I wanted but couldn’t get the turquoise color right. I ended up Getting the turquoise base coat from a DuPont shop. We got most of the masking done and did the first “paint prep” wipe down today.

RE: Paintin the Newell! - encantotom - 06-02-2020

all i can say is WOW

tom

RE: Paintin the Newell! - pairodice - 06-07-2020

That looks like a TON of work and a labor of LOVE! You might think about renting one of the scissor lifts so you don’t have to climb down to move it. Tom has one that made working on his coaches much easier.

RE: Paintin the Newell! - HoosierDaddy - 06-07-2020

Scissor lift.....Great idea. I painted all the top with a step ladder. Yes it was a lot of work. I need the exercise!!!