You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Air Leak - solenoid? - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Air Operated Systems and Leaks (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Air Leak - solenoid? (/showthread.php?tid=5833)

Pages: 1 2

Air Leak - solenoid? - David and Teresa - 12-11-2020

I have this inside the bay with water pump and Aqua-Hot. I hear air continuously hissing from this. Is it some sort of solenoid? I don't know what it does. Any ideas of what it does?

RE: Air Leak - solenoid? - RussWhite - 12-11-2020

That looks like the valve that controls one of the dump valves. Mine leaked like that too and after repairing a time or two I threw in the towels and put a small valve upstream of the solenoid pair that I can easily open when I want to use the dump valve, and close when I have completed the operation. Maybe someday I will try and find a replacement for the entire 4 way valve that has a lot better life than the one supplied with the coach. Russ

RE: Air Leak - solenoid? - Richard - 12-11-2020

That is indeed the air solenoid for the dump valve. The spool inside wears out and it will start to leak. Do a little search engine work using the search bar at the top of the forum and you will find replacement part numbers, sources, and a clever trick for a low fuss replace.

RE: Air Leak - solenoid? - David and Teresa - 12-11-2020

Thanks all!

RE: Air Leak - solenoid? - David and Teresa - 12-14-2020

As with most of the issues with my coach, there always seems to be a part 2.

This morning my coach's air was at 0. I went to the bay that has the pressure switch, and it was engaged but the pump not running. I checked the breaker and it was good. So, I cranked the bus to get the air pressure up so I could open the generator bay. I have a jun-air type air compressor - it's a different brand but looks just like a jun-air. There wasn't any oil. This is a very recent change, because I checked and added oil a couple of weeks ago. I looked to see if there was oil in the bay. It seemed dry. There was a bit of oil on the air line out of the pump. I added oil, but didn't have enough to see in the sight glass. When I checked the pressure switch again, the pump came to life. I quickly turned it off.

My question is this: Where did all the oil go? Did it blow past the piston into the air tanks? Why did power back up? Is there a safety switch inside that shuts the pump off to protect it? Is the pump OK?

David

RE: Air Leak - solenoid? - Richard - 12-15-2020

My thoughts are generic, but may help.

You have a big air leak, so the pump runs a lot. The problem with the super quiet JunAir pumps is that you do not hear it run. I know I have one. I had to put an hour meter on it to see how much it was running.

I am guessing the pump has a thermal overload on the motor. So yes, if the motor gets hot enough to trip the thermal, then it will reset when it cools off.

If the pump ran for a long time, then the oil became very hot. One of two things could have happened. One, you boiled the oil out of it. Or, the cylinder/piston is worn and pumping oil. You did say you added oil a couple of weeks ago. My JunAir has never required oil between routine changes.

Do you have a surge tank that the pump feeds into? Have you drained it? Was there oil in the tank?

Can’t say if the pump is OK or not. Fill it with the proper amount of oil and see if it makes pressure is the only way to tell. If it does come to life, you still have to chase down the air leaks.

RE: Air Leak - solenoid? - David and Teresa - 12-16-2020

Richard,

I checked the air tank this morning and emptied the water. No oil that I can see, but the container had a few drops of oil once I poured the water out. I think the compressor holds a pint or two. I still can't figure out where the oil is. Tomorrow I'll have some time in the afternoon to fill the compressor and see what happens.

David

RE: Air Leak - solenoid? - Richard - 12-17-2020

Does your coach still have the automatically operated air/water separator that came from the factory.

If so, or if you have any style of auto draining separator device, it would catch the oil and dump it without you seeing it.

If you disconnect the output line from the compressor does oil drip out of it?

RE: Air Leak - solenoid? - David and Teresa - 12-17-2020

OK, here's what I did today.

I added compressor oil till the level was in the sight glass. It only took about 4 ounces, so way less than I thought. Checked the fittings, and turned the pump on. It worked and after about 5 minute brought the pressure up to about 90psi. I do have the original air/water separator which hasn't worked in a while. I let water out of the tank, and along it it was oil. I suspect about the same, 4 ounces. I suspect the air compressor is now bad.

Also, while I had air, I went to the original issue, air leak at the solenoid. The leak didn't sound like it was coming from there now, so I covered it with a towel. It didn't mute the sound of the leak. The air leak seems to come from above the black water tank in an area I can't access. Do you know what air is there? When I go to the other side of the coach, the air leak sounds distant.

David

RE: Air Leak - solenoid? - Richard - 12-17-2020

Hmmmmmm, sound can travel. Bubble solution is your friend, much more reliable than my old ears.

I would slip between the tag and drive wheel and listen. You could have an air leak back there and the sound is traveling. There are air lines that run the center of the coach, but unless you have rubbed a hole in one, over the black tank is an unlikely place. Not saying impossible, but not the likely source.

Five minute to 90 psi from 0 doesn't sound too bad. And if it built 90 then it can't be too damaged. That oil left the system because the pump ran continously for an extended period. It became very hot during that time and two things happened. You boiled the oil, and you tripped the thermal protection.

I would change the oil in the pump completely before putting it back in service. The oil that remained is likely compromised.