You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Door issues - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Exterior (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Door issues (/showthread.php?tid=5955)

Pages: 1 2

Door issues - Lee Dove - 03-07-2021

All right who else has a problem opening or closing the door on their Newell when the sun heats up the door side? This 92 has about 3.16ths of a inch clearance at night and early morning but when the sun hits it Katie, bar the door it's jammed up tight against the jamb. Takes an extremely hard bump from the inside to open it and almost impossible from the outside... Never had this on any other coach and there appears to be no way to adjust it.

RE: Door issues - RussWhite - 03-07-2021

Mine certainly gets tight in the sun, but never so much as you describe. I guess I am lucky.

RE: Door issues - Latitude 28 - 03-07-2021

Lee,
Just posted on the FB Newll groups page our similar situation we had......here is the thread of my fix....http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=5075

RE: Door issues - Lee Dove - 03-07-2021

I saw and responded to your post over there. Mine is a little different situation. The door does not appear warped but it, James up all the way around. Work's great when cold. Can't even lock it up with the deadbolt when leaving during the day as can't get it completely closed and if I did I'd, never open it till dark

RE: Door issues - folivier - 03-07-2021

My wife got stuck inside once in Moab while I was out on a photo trip.
It seems the aluminum can expand enough in full hot sunlight to make it difficult or impossible to open.
The quick fix is to pour cold water on the door near the latch. Either from inside or outside.

I could see that on extremely hot day's but even today it was only 67 degrees. If my wife gets stuck in then, she'll insist it's sold

RE: Door issues - encantotom - 03-07-2021

my 90 did exactly the same thing. and yes, there is no adjustment, but there is a fix. a relatively easy one, and cheap, but iterative and slow.

and i got the fix from newell over 10 years ago.

since it has been rubbing and catching when hot, there is going to be scuffing or paint removed from the edge of the door itself where it catches.

for the next step you have to be very careful, slow and careful.....

you take a good flat metal file and gently file ever so slightly on the edge of the door where it is catching. not enough to make a dip or anything noticeable on the door.

then you use touchup paint (i had matching paint) and cover where you have filed and there is bare metal that has been scuffed off and files.

then you wait until the sun causes it to catch again, and you get the door open (waiting until you can get it open without damaging it), and see where the paint is scuffed or scraped off again.

and repeat the process until it doesnt catch.

as long as the door hinge isnt sprung, doing this a few times will get is so you have a slightly larger gap that wont expand up to the point where it catches again.

once done, use matching touchup paint on the edge and you are done.

like someone said, if you cant get the door open because it is expanded too much and you need to get in or out then, a glass of cold water on the edge of the door shrinks it up immediately.

my two cents worth and i am sticking to it

tom

RE: Door issues - Fulltiming - 03-07-2021

The exterior door skin on my 1992 slipped to the rear and would jam when the sun was on the curb side of the coach. I tried trimming the aluminum and it helped but didn't solve the problem. Finally, I took it to Newell, they removed the entry door, removed the exterior door skin, moved it back toward the hinge, reglued it, then added some rivets to keep it from moving in the future. I haven't had any problems since. As I recall, that repair was done over 10 years ago.

The latch box on the inside is rubbing so bad it's ate the edges of the cover up. These are not the only place it's catching. It is door to body all the way around when warm

I'll try the file thing on the door edges Tom after I get the inside door box to quit dragging

RE: Door issues - encantotom - 03-07-2021

mine was not that bad, so my fix worked great.

make sure the many screws in the piano door hinge are tight and not sagging.

good luck

tom