You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Generator exhaust - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Generators (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Generator exhaust (/showthread.php?tid=6014)

Pages: 1 2 3

Generator exhaust - Tf175 - 04-02-2021

Generator exhaust , inside the compartment . I replaced the exhaust receiver pipe ( 2 1/4" O.D. , 2 " I.D. , gen pipe slides into it ) some time ago , now I have exhaust leaking into the coach . The problem is obvious , and of my own making . I didn't look at the old pipe closely enough , missed the packing that is pushed into the bead , assumed that the bead was to keep pipe from pushing through the panel . I machined a steel " donut " , welded it onto the end of the new pipe and that was it , Voila ! exhaust leak . The blower then supercharges the fumes into the cabin . 
 Has anyone developed another way to do the exhaust system with the slide out generator ?  I thought perhaps a flexible pipe or steel braided hose , but probably inviting more problems reinventing the wheel ! That said , I am looking at machining another piece with an internal receiver groove for the packing . Alternatively I could order a tool for beading and go with original style .
Question , looking for a source for the packing , wonder if anyone can steer me ? I have a request at Newell parts , not sure they would still have such a thing , so I am looking at options . 
I have shot myself in the foot so many times it's a miracle I can still walk !!
Chris

RE: Generator exhaust - MrE - 04-02-2021

You might have success with this, apply it on the exhaust pipe where it will slide in an inch as you return the generator to travel position.

"Permatex® Ultra Copper® Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
Category: Ultra Series Gasket Makers
OEM specified. For high operating temperatures common in 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines. The most advanced, high temp RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -65°F to 700°F (-54°C to 371°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration."

RE: Generator exhaust - Richard - 04-02-2021

Tom had some about ten years ago.......

It looked something like this https://www.mcmaster.com/valve-packing/wire-reinforced-steam-resistant-packing-seals/

I picked the reinforced version but plain old graphite valve packing might do the trick.

RE: Generator exhaust - Tf175 - 04-03-2021

Appreciate the link , I had looked at that and you have helped me zero in. I'm making a diy bead roller , we'll see how it works out . Will post as it all develops .
Thanks for the replies !
Chris

RE: Generator exhaust - Tf175 - 04-14-2021

I was just scrolling through the pictures of the 2000 model with salvage title , shown in the Coaches for Sale area . Just out of curiosity , not a player on buying . I noticed that the Onan 12.5 is a slide out , with exhaust exiting the roof . Wondering if that vintage has similar arrangement with the exhaust system in the compartment as the Classics . 
Chris

RE: Generator exhaust - 360 - 04-15-2022

Getting a leak into the cabin on 653 from the generator. Figured out what should be the right type of packing seal, just looking for some insight on how to install it.

RE: Generator exhaust - encantotom - 04-15-2022

this is what was used in the bell end (fixed end outside the genny compartment) in the bell.  you have to take the genny out from it and get in from behind using the plate on the genny compartment.  

this was in my 90.  i would bet it is the same now

tom

RE: Generator exhaust - 360 - 04-26-2022

So I spent 4 days in the coach and lets just say this leak has to get fixed before I head out in two weeks.  Took a few pics and trying to wrap my mind around how it comes apart and where exactly the packing seal will go.

RE: Generator exhaust - Richard - 04-26-2022

the middle picture shows some sort of seal, but it is not the type we have been discussing that fits inside a rolled bead on the outer pipe.

RE: Generator exhaust - 360 - 04-26-2022

Richard. Is the rolled bead on the outer pipe something I'll see when it slide the inner pipe out? I'm assuming those four screws come out and it then exposes that union?