You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Ground Zero - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Fun Stuff (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Travel Logs (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Ground Zero (/showthread.php?tid=676)

Pages: 1 2

Ground Zero - rheavn - 04-07-2013

We're heading to the home of our wonderful coaches today. Time for a wheel alignment. I'll report back on any interesting things I see first hand. Any one else going to be at ground zero????

RE: Ground Zero - bikestuff - 04-07-2013

Its always fun to go to the Mothership! But don't look at those '14s! You may develop a case of coach envy! Have fun!

RE: Ground Zero - rheavn - 04-07-2013

Gurus are well represented at headquarters as we met PJ &Judy Horton here. There were six spots in the campground when we got here. Now only two left.

RE: Ground Zero - folivier - 04-07-2013

Reserve a spot for me next week.

RE: Ground Zero - les korcala - 04-07-2013

(04-07-2013, 02:14 PM)rheavn Wrote:  Gurus are well represented at headquarters as we met PJ &Judy Horton here. There were six spots in the campground when we got here. Now only two left.

We ran in to Judy and PJ in Mesa , AZ couple months ago, was wonder what they having done? I know they developed big air leak in the rear of the coach, i acutally helped found it, I hope thsi was not the problem for them to head to OK from AZ?

We will see them again in July?Augut in Du Bois , WY

please say hi to them from Les & Cheryl

Best of luck in reparing your coach, I hope all goes smooth for you!

RE: Ground Zero - rheavn - 04-07-2013

I'll say hi for you. They are nice folks.

RE: Ground Zero - encantotom - 04-07-2013

say hi for darlene and i too. we went to dinner with them in tucson.

tom

RE: Ground Zero - rheavn - 04-08-2013

Tom,
I'll take care of that.

Up early at hdqtrs as they come for your coach at 0630.

For any one who has never been to the factory, I feel like I'm back in college. I'm learning a lot &seeing some interesting things:

Saw the new front vinyl shield that they now spray on. No one would know it is even on the front of the coach. It is a 2 part spray mixture. Only been doing the process for a couple years so jury is out on long term reliability.

I now know how to replace the guts of a Microphor toilet.

In the process of watching a slide being removed and a new slide seal installed.

Taking a production tour this afternoon.

Later from ground zero.......................

Took the factory production tour that helped further my education. Discussed the ion battery issue and Newell's experience with them. He said the technology works. Space & weight savings is considerable. Down side is the battery companies are being government subsidized to make the price affordable and once the government subsidy stops, the company goes out of business. Therefore a Newell owner has a battery with no warranty. Sounds like they would use them when the price of them will support availability. The factory tour was amazing, but much of the construction materials and techniques have remained the same for the past 30+ years. We also discussed the Allison vs ZF transmission and the bottom line is Allison made their HD trans model available that withstands the demand of the higher output engines. He did say that at this time the trans is keeping them from using even higher hp engines. If you've never been to the factory, treat yourself to a very educational experience.

During the tour we got a good look at the steerable tag. It is basically a straight axle like they used to use in the pre 97 coaches that is mounted in the tag position. It is then hooked up hydraulically to steer backwards of the front and approx 1/2 the turning radius of the front. It is active and functions the same at any speed.

Thanks to Jerry Pitts for the tour.........................