You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Yet Another Classic Newell Coach Getting Repowered!

I am installing a new 6V92 Silver into my 79. I was wondering if the manifold jackets that GM used are available anywhere and how much of a job it would be to install one while the engine is out?

they are not hard to put on. you will have to look hard for a set. to buy new they are well over a grand.

i know clarke just gave a bunch away, but i dont think they fit a 6v92.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Just curious how the transplant went?

Danny
1991 # 277 8V92 w/Dodge p/u towed
Photo 

Getting closer, hope to see the road this summer. The gentleman that Mike had lined up to do the wiring unfortunately passed away so he's searching for a replacement. Here's a picture of the engine being fitted.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Finding any major fitment issues? Any idea about weight? Is the new engine going to be heavier or lighter? are you keeping a log of the repowering?

Thanks!
Danny
1991 # 277

The ISM is lighter than the 8V92, but the radiator has to be relocated to the drivers side of the coach. With the ISM and ZF transmission combination the drive shaft will have to be lengthened.

The 12.1L 8V92 engine is 65 inches (1,651 mm) long, 46 inches (1,168 mm) wide and 47 inches (1,194 mm) tall. The Detroit Diesel 8V92 weighs 3,230 pounds (1,465 kg).

The 10.8L ISM engine is 51 inches (1,290 mm) long, 38 inches (973 mm) wide and 45 inches (1,142 mm) tall. The Cummins ISM weighs 2,072 pounds (940 kg).

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

Whow! Lose weight and gain horsepower. What a good deal! When it is running, please document the fuel economy then. Are you going to power the side fan by hydraulic or electric fans? My direct email is [email protected]. I'd appreciate any and all information concerning your conversion. There's no sense in me reinventing the wheel! It sounds like you have determined the solutions to the problems.

Thanks for sharing! When our 8V92 breaks, I'd much rather replace it with a cleaner 4 stroke. Best wishes, Danny

I am confused. If the Cummins is shorter, why can't you still have radiator in the rear? Only obvious to me is access to front of engine.
Photo 

Still haven't figured out how to run the fans. The donor bus used hydraulic fans but Mike would like to convert them to mechanical off the engine. He says they are much more efficient. As far as why the conversion to side vs. rear radiator, I'm not sure. When @Relic and I first came up with the plan, that was it. The donor bus had the radiator and intercooler on the side and it made sense.

Picture of the new air bags, replacing all 8.

Picture of my off road RV getting the radiator and intercooler fitted.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
Photo 

New pictures from Mike of the radiator/intercooler fitting. He says he's found a new 'wiring guy' which is good news. I asked him why we had to go with a side radiator instead of a rear radiator and he offered to provide all the measurements, and I told him don't worry it was just a question posed on the forum.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86