You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Towing 72 Buick

I'm looking for info and advice on towing my 1972 Buick Electra Limited behind our 1974 Newell.  I looked into hauling it on a trailer but I would need a heavy tandem axle trailer.  I think it would look much cooler running down the road behind the Newell any way. 

Any suggestions on towing setups?  Any advice or suggestions would also be appreciated. The Buick is set up from the factory to be towed.  It is in the owners manual anyway. 

I tried to attach a picture of a Buick like mine so you can see what I'm talking about. 

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

Good looking car. Always liked the old buicks. Might recheck your manual, Most of the old GM automatics cannot be towed without a driveshaft disconnect. At 4600 lbs you would certainly need an aux braking system.
Jim

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

Rj, I'm thinking the Buick manual is referring to the Buicks ability to tow a trailer. A "towing package" was an available option that included HD radiator, transmission cooler etc.
most automatic transmissions of that era did not provide lubrication to the drive shaft bearing in the tailshaft so towing very far or fast could damage it. Options I am aware of are an auxiliary pump to keep lubrication to the transmission or a driveshaft disconnect. http://www.remcodsc.com/
Additional brake system components would be needed as well as a tow bar.
I towed a Jeep wheels down for years. A couple years ago I bought a car hauler trailer that has ramps that extend easily. I like it better. It is easier to maneuver. I can back it into a camp-site if necessary. Even though you tow a car wheels down there is still wear and tear on it. I also use the trailer often for other needs.
https://imperialtrailer.com/
Everybody has specific reasons for their towing combination. Another advantage is that you would not be limited as to which vehicle you take ( Like the Camaro ;-) )

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I'm looking through the manual again tomorrow and talking to my buddy at GM.   The Buick is set up to pull a trailer with a larger radiator and auxiliary oil cooler on the engine and transmission.  I was hoping to get away from a dolly or trailer if possible with the Buick but that may not be an option.

I have a enclosed aluminium trailer to pull the Camaro but the Buick is about a foot too long. I'm still checking my options but a open trailer may be the way to go.

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

I'm Luvin that Hennessey...................

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Rj,

You know I'm all about a classic towing a classic!  That would be too cool going down the road.

I towed an '81 Honda Accord on a dolly for a couple of years and now I tow a Kia Sportage on a car hauler.  Although the Kia/hauler combo is heavier I like it more.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I hardly noticed the Honda/dolly combo on hills and it was easier and faster to hook up (important in foul weather) but since our classics have the turning radius of a battleship I was usually anxious trying to get in and out of gas stations. 

The hauler is slower going up hills but it is very easily backed up.  I don't worry about damage to the vehicle since it's wheels are off the ground.

I'm quite certain that your Buick will need a Brake Buddy (or something like it) and a transmission pump to keep things lubed (short of pulling the driveshaft).  These options are certainly cheaper than a car hauler!  A good rock guard would also be recommended for the rear of the coach to protect the car.  We justified the expense of the hauler since we can use it for so many other things.

I'm restoring a '64 Land Rover 88 with the intention of trying wheels down since it only weighs ~2000lbs.  We'll see, I'm still not sure I like the idea of rolling a classic car without being able to hear what's going on with it while going down the road.  I'll probably end up putting it on the hauler.  However, if I end up going west into the mountains I like having the option of being able to put the transfer case in neutral and only having 2000lbs to tow.

Before

What it should look like when done

Where we're at now

Have fun!!

Bob Kopicki
1972 Newell Chauffeur
1964 Land Rover 88 Series IIa TOAD

back when i was last shopping for a newell about 6 years ago i was looking at one and one of the pictures had a rolls royce behind the newell as a toad. i had sent the pictures to michael day and i think he was the one who caught that....

i tow a honda crv. my 40 ford may go with me someday but would be in my enclosed car hauler.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My dad uses a tow master two wheel car dolly and tows his 3/4 ton truck, and they will fit the dolly with brakes i'm thinking around $1500-$2000 depending on the set up

Billy & Starla Hoffman
Poteau Oklahoma
 2003 Newell #659