You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Getting coach home - the first trip saga

So, yesterday was good -- started in the afternoon after the repair and got ~ 300 miles with no issues.

Started off this morning and after a while I had a sneaking suspicion that the dash air wasn't being effective. Checked the weather and it was only like 72 out so far. When I pulled over there was a wonderful spray of oily, green fun which had obviously come from the top of the A/C compressor. I noticed one of the lines to/from the compressor seemed loose -- I figured somehow the nut was loose. Which would have made for a common theme. But it was well over finger tight. Wiggled the line a bit more and it totally came free of the nut -- it was completely broken off at the flare.

Perhaps someone over-tightened the nut, pinching the flare too tightly and causing the breakage? The dasy air had been charged before I picked it up.

Other than that, the rest of the day was good, made about 665 miles, only about 320 to go tomorrow until home.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

It may have gotten "leaned on" during the fan R/R...?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Paul,
I'll bet the fitting is aluminum-----I had the same thing happen.  When you replace it make sure they use a hose with a steel fitting.  Problem solved for me.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Yes, it's definitely aluminum.

So, made it home today, picked up Kelly and the dogs and headed to a nice creekside camping spot in Pigeon Forge.

And the good news! Kelly likes the coach! Even with the problems so far, we'll keep her! Wink

Does anyone need a circa 1999 42" plasma monitor? Or a VCR? Or a 20" CRT? They're going for cheap! Wink

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and help. And to Tom for the helpful and sympathetic ear.

Paul
Coach #540

(07-30-2017, 07:00 PM)pestes Wrote:  And the good news! Kelly likes the coach!   Even with the problems so far, we'll keep her!   Wink
I realized once I walked away that this probably doesn't sound like what I meant.
We'll keep the coach. Kelly's always been a keeper.

Paul
Coach #540

Oh man, Your killin' me..... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile  funny!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

i talked to paul every day during his chevy chase vacation ordeal getting home. he was always humorous and willing to look to the positive (at least on the phone, ha).

he and his wife kelly are going to be a great addition to the guru gang.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(07-30-2017, 07:00 PM)pestes Wrote:  Does anyone need a circa 1999 42" plasma monitor? Or a VCR? Or a 20" CRT? They're going for cheap!   Wink

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and help. And to Tom for the helpful and sympathetic ear.

The dumpster happily took my VCR and 20" TV very cheaply, at least I did not have to pay to get rid of those boat anchors.

You failed to mention the Marantz...

I am thinking of replacing my plasma as well. Have you done any research yet on a replacement?

The savings in weight alone probably makes the exchange worth it :-)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

i took out 2 of those 42" plasma's out of mine when i got it. they must weight 8000lbs apiece. as far as replacements go, just find one that fits the opening. there are so many good tv's out there now adays. my front tv was easy to mount as all i needed was some spacers and it went onto the existing mount

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Paul,
Just wanted to let you know that you are not the only oddball. I just measured my fan and mine is also 32".

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531