You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

110v aircompressor

I'm the new owner of 385 Smile and I have a new hobby
Working on an old coach
The compressor will not come on with the dash rocker switch. I can make it run by pushing on the pressure switch. BUT it shuts down quickly.
MY best guess is the rocker switch? IDEAS?   

George

I've been told to look for the simple first. Check the fuse or ckt breaker protecting the the compressor before the switch. I f you have power on both sides of the fuse or ckt breaker, time to do the same with the switch.
Enjoy your your new hobby !

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

(07-25-2017, 01:01 PM)Georgeb Wrote:  I'm the new owner of 385 Smile and I have a new hobby
Working on an old coach
The compressor will not come on with the dash rocker switch. I can make it run by pushing on the pressure switch. BUT it shuts down quickly.
MY best guess is the rocker switch? IDEAS?   

George

"and I have a new hobby,  Working on an old coach".........funny but so true

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

Sounds like it might be a faulty pressure switch. Check to see if power is available at the pressure switch in both positions of the rocker switch. If so the rocker switch is also faulty. It should disrupt power in the off position. The pressure switch should pass power to the compressor at +/- 70 psi then disrupt power at +/- 90 psi. It will not re-enegize power until system pressure drops below the +/- 70 psi start up.

Pretty sure that pressure switch is set to start compressor at about 70 psi. Rocker switch only allows power to pressure switch which turns on compressor.
Nothing will happen till main tanks fall below 70 psi.
Jim

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

It is time to replace the check valve in the 110volt air compressor. I notIced that it stoped cycling on at the 70 psi level and could hear the compressor trying to start, but then hear the internal breaker in the compressor shut it off. As soon as the head pressure dropped to a much lower value it would then start and shut off at 90 psi. I talked to Gast a few years ago and he said it was the check valve staying open and the high head pressure would not let the compressor start. I now carry extra check valves and it is now time to change it again. Mine is located near the air/water separator. I checked  in the threads and did not see this problem discussed, may have missed it?

Ed and Penny Thomas
Anna, TX
98 Newell
coach #490

ed, it may not have been discussed but certainly has been done by a number of us. fortunately it is one of the easier fixes.

none of these compressors, gast, jun air or thomas like to start with high head pressure.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(08-25-2017, 08:59 AM)encantotom Wrote:  ed,  it may not have been discussed but certainly has been done by a number of us.  fortunately it is one of the easier fixes.  

none of these compressors, gast, jun air or thomas like to start with high head pressure.  

tom

Yes you are correct it is an easy fix after you now the cause and have the replacement parts. 25 -30 minutes. Mine is back up and pumping ????
Thanks for the response.

Ed and Penny Thomas
Anna, TX
98 Newell
coach #490

(08-25-2017, 10:12 AM)Fasteddie Wrote:  
(08-25-2017, 08:59 AM)encantotom Wrote:  ed,  it may not have been discussed but certainly has been done by a number of us.  fortunately it is one of the easier fixes.  

tom

Yes you are correct it is an easy fix after you now the cause and have the replacement parts. 25 -30 minutes. Mine is back up and pumping ????
Thanks for the response.

When you don't have another check valve just crack open the output line and the compressor will run

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589